• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Arcade Joystick for MAME/Emulation?

dcx4610

I've really gotten back into MAME lately. I've decided to go through and beat every game I never played or didn't want to spend quarters on in the arcade.

I've been using an Xbox Series X controller (which is great) but part of me wants to play with a joystick. Does anyone have any suggestions for an authentic arcade joystick? I prefer a single player one for space concerns. I'd also prefer it come prebuilt.

I'm a Street Fighter guy so I prefer bat top joysticks and concave buttons. I found an X-Arcade Solo which looks about what I would want but it's old, discontinued and uses PS2/Serial connections and has lag.

71LFsgeQE9L._SL1500_.jpg

Anyone know of anything similar or any other recommendations? It will need to USB since I will be playing on PC. Thanks!

Quasicat

I bought the 8bitdo arcade stick from Amazon in January for $90. It’s Bluetooth, wired and also has a usb dongle for less latency. It seamlessly flips between the Switch and the Nvidia Shield, it saves your settings between the two and can be modded. The website says it can run on PC.

https://www.8bitdo.com/arcade-stick/

The only real problem I had was the gate of the stick. It’s a square gate set diagonally. That really did not work for me. I went on Amazon and bought an octagonal gate for less than $8 and it took me a few minutes to pop the original off and the new one on. I use it constantly on the Shield and for everything that’s supported on the Switch. Animal Crossing with an arcade stick is perfect!

Last edited:

Codiox

I bought the 8bitdo arcade stick from Amazon in January for $90. It’s Bluetooth, wired and also has a usb dongle for less latency. It seamlessly flips between the Switch and the Nvidia Shield, it saves your settings between the two and can be modded. The website says it can run on PC.

https://www.8bitdo.com/arcade-stick/

The only real problem I had was the gate of the stick. It’s a square gate set diagonally. That really did not work for me. I went on Amazon and bought an octagonal gate for less than $8 and it took me a few minutes to pop the original off and the new one on. I use it constantly on the Shield and for everything that’s supported on the Switch. Animal Crossing with an arcade stick is perfect!
Also got the 8bitdo couple of weeks ago. Playing sf5 online just fine with it. I also took my custom venom arcade stick apart and used the octagate aswell as my sanwa buttons in the new 8bitdo one.

The best part is the wireless. But it's buttugly. I hate the NES colors.

Ovek

7Member7
Build one, it's dead easy using Sanwa arcade parts and a keyboard encoder.

You could start out with a cheap(ish) enclosure like this

Then stick your own guts in it with other kits you can buy on eBay.

Top Bottom