• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Assassin's Creed game?

Best Assassin's Creed game?

• Total voters

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I always felt the focus on ship combat in Black Flag came at the detriment to the on foot combat which really didn't see any improvement over 3 even though it desperately needed it. Brotherhood has been my favorite for a long time, though I haven't played Odyssey despite having picked it up on the cheap ages ago. Looking forward to Valhalla though.
The on foot combat in Black Flag was a drastic improvement over AC3. I recently replayed AC3 and it was very annoying.

SpartanN92

Banned
AC1 is still my favorite. I don’t think any subsequent game nailed the atmosphere the way 1 did. If I’m being intellectually honest it is among the worst playing though. 2 and especially Brotherhood are probably the peak overall but 4 was damn good too!
I stopped after Unity which was atrocious and I recently tried Odyssey but couldn’t get more than 30 minutes into it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That's tough...

I'd currently give it to Origins, but I think ACII was probably better as a complete package considering the context of the era.

My favorites are: ACII, ACIII (I know, I know, I just love the setting), Black Flag, Origins, and Odyssey.

Alx

I'm partial to ACII, since it's when the serie went from "interesting but needs polish" to "great game". The historical settings are wonderful (Italian Renaissance), and there is a goof balance between regular action and fantasy mystery, with all the puzzles hidden everywhere.
My second favourite would be Unity for the historical settings and incredible recreation of Paris during the French revolution. Also a beautiful game.
Third favourite could be Syndicate, I thought the gameplay was the most pleasant (although easy to abuse) and I liked the protagonists. Not too fond of London at that time though. Or maybe Revelations, Istanbul was a great city to play in, but like Brotherhood it feels too much like an extension to ACII.

I haven't played much of the pirate ones or the most recent evolutions (Origins/Odyssey).

Aion002

Brotherhood.

Best story, "stages", collectibles, introduced the MP and is the one were you can actually feel that you're part of an active Creed.

Notable mentions are: IV (great, but more of a pirate simulator), Syndicate (good characters and great map), II and Revelations (Ezio>>>>all).

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Origin's would be my choice, but it did lack the ship dynamic's that Odyssey and Black Flag had, i enjoyed Odyssey, but it was a superpower's game and not really an Assassin's game, Hero Strike was my go to ability, and Blag Flag for the ship's and character's, but not some of the mission's, i have never liked the tail and timer mission's so i really prefer the open world style of the last 2 games, and i've just finished the Ezio trilogy and a lot of the mission;s were annoying at times lol, i'm looking forward to Valhalla.

1 Origin's
2 Odyssey
3 Black Flag

Looks like so far, here is the order after 103 votes:

1. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (26.2%)
  2. Assassin's Creed II (17.5%)
  3. Assassin's Creed Odyssey (16.5%)
  4. Assassin's Creed Origins (14.6%)
  5. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (10.7%)
  6. Assassin's Creed (5.8%)
  7. Assassin's Creed Unity (3.9%)
  8. Assassin's Creed III (2.9%)
  9. Assassin's Creed Syndicate (1.9%)
  10. Assassin's Creed Revelations, Assassin's Creed III: Liberation, Assassin's Creed Rogue (0.0%)

It ended up how I thought it would, but I'm surprised Odyssey is so high. I thought people didn't consider it a good AC game. Its still a really fun discussion so far.

Last edited:
You motherfuckers voting for Black Flag need a fucking memory check because that game is just Assassin's Creed III with more of the boring ship combat, even more following missions and a more boring story.

And I bet most of you will say that you didn't play or finish AC3.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

"refreshing change" my ass. It's the same fucking dull boring tedious shit and you just ate it up like you have a copro fetish.

Sybrix

You motherfuckers voting for Black Flag need a fucking memory check because that game is just Assassin's Creed III with more of the boring ship combat, even more following missions and a more boring story.

And I bet most of you will say that you didn't play or finish AC3.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

"refreshing change" my ass. It's the same fucking dull boring tedious shit and you just ate it up like you have a copro fetish.

The ship sailing and battles was one of the best things about Black Flag.

Sailing out in that huge world to find a new island and explore it was so much fun, the way the game looked aswell was so cool, the whole tropical look was glourious.

Where as AC3 was a pile of crap :) .......... and i did finish AC3

Last edited:

pLow7

Ezio Games by far. AC3 was dull. Black Flag was nice, but i didn't finish it.

Odyssey had potential, but the level gating and the incredible boring side missions ruined the game for me.

junguler

Banned
black flag > ac3 > ac > unity > rogue > revelations > odyssey > syndicate
i haven't finished ac2, brotherhood and liberation so no opinion on them
i've also skipped origins because of the drm situation

mrMUR_96

Picked up Odyssey on sale recently and can't get enough of it. Super impressed and I was way better than I was expecting. The world and characters are great, I'm not sure if the arpg direction was the best choice, but it's not a big deal either. Out of the "classic" games I'd have to say I really enjoyed 2 and brotherhood above the others. The first is probably the worst in comparison but was pretty impressive back in the day.

D3SCHA1N

The on foot combat in Black Flag was a drastic improvement over AC3. I recently replayed AC3 and it was very annoying.

Was it? Its been a long time since I played it, I just remember feeling like the melee combat was disappointing to me at the time and didn't feel very new. I agree that the combat in AC3 wasn't very good either, just didn't feel like BF's was any better. Felt like the only things that were added was more pistols to shoot and dual swords, which to be fair wasn't much different than sword and tomahawk...

Last edited:

RSB

Banned
My favorites are Syndicate, the Ezio Trilogy, and Origins.

My least liked are easily AC3 and Liberation.

I'm playing Odyssey right now and it's pretty much like Origins, but more bloated and with a less interesting setting, story and main character (I'm playing Kassandra)

Bayek and Ezio are easily the best main characters in the series. I would have loved a direct sequel to Origins, with Bayek and Aya in the early days of the Roman Empire.

The ship sailing and battles was one of the best things about Black Flag.

Sailing out in that huge world to find a new island and explore it was so much fun, the way the game looked aswell was so cool, the whole tropical look was glourious.

Where as AC3 was a pile of crap :) .......... and i did finish AC3
By "explore it" you mean find some meaningless collectibles?

That is not my idea of a good time.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For me, it's Black Flag. I just replayed it on PS4 Pro which is only the second game this generation I have replayed (The Witcher 3 was the first game) and I loved it just as much as I did 6 1/2 years ago when I played it. It was by far the best launch title on both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. It was the first Ubisoft game I played and completed this generation and is still my highest rated and ranked game that I have played from Ubisoft this generation. Can't wait for Valhalla on Xbox Series X baby!!! Whooo!!!

Out of all the AC games that I have played and completed, I have rated and ranked them as follows -

1. Black Flag - 9.5/10
2. Rogue - 9.0/10
3. Odyssey - 9.0/10
4. Origins - 9.0/10
5. Syndicate - 8.0/10
6. Unity - 7.0/10
7. Liberation - 7.0/10

Black Flag had some cool shit and I really love the pirate stuff.

Unity, especially for the time it came out, was bananas to look at.

Ezio was my favorite protagonist, but his games missed some things I really liked in the first.

I went with the OG. It was the first and rough around the edges, but it introduced the Animus concept which was really interesting at the time. I also preferred how you literally had any option open to you to assassinate each target. I remember spending a lot of time stalking and taking note of patterns of the targets and the people they interacted with. In later games things became more and more scripted when you killed important characters. I also hated how the "present day" sections just went to shit starting in Black Flag. You work at a game studio... great.

Last edited:

RPS37

It’s easy to see what the clear winner is.
Has anyone replayed Black Flag recently? Does it hold up?

Sybrix

By "explore it" you mean find some meaningless collectibles?

That is not my idea of a good time.

To progress the game you had to travel to different destinations, while on those travels you come across islands with side missions and collectables, also come across enemy ships in the sea to have battles with, engage in broadside battles, climb the rigging and jump to the enemy ship to engage in sword fights and pillage the gold and wreckage after you win.......... your telling me this isn't your idea of a good game?

Also their were so many underwater caves and wreakages to explore.... so much fun!

I love huge open world games to explore, BOTW, Fallout 3, Skyrim, RDR2, the big part of me in those games was just wandering around the world exploring, i have 500+ hours on Skyrim and never even completed the story lol

I dont think AC is your type of game, especially your remark around meaningless collectables LOL, that one statement sums up AC games haha.

Last edited:

sephiroth7x

As someone who has studied Ancient Egypt to a high academic level, the locations and world creation was fantastic to me and for that reason alone, I go with Origins.

However, I do still hold the Ezio trilogy in high regard, especially ACII. I think from Revelations through to Origins, they were the dark ages of the series. (Black Flag a possible exception).

DelireMan7

Funny thread as I have just started the Assassin's creed serie this month.
I am now toward the end of the first game. Wanted to go this serie for the lore/settings and I am not disappointed.

Really like the parkour. Combat is basic but still somehow enjoyable.

A friend of mine lend me AC II, Brotherhood, Revelation, 3 and Black Flag. Not sure to play everything but I definitely want to play the second because I heard so much about it.

I am really interested in Unity (maybe because I am french and I also love the outfit) and Origins (in my young years I was a fanatic of ancient Egypt).
Also Valhalla got me quite hyped despite not knowing the serie.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Funny thread as I have just started the Assassin's creed serie this month.
I am now toward the end of the first game. Wanted to go this serie for the lore/settings and I am not disappointed.

Really like the parkour. Combat is basic but still somehow enjoyable.

A friend of mine lend me AC II, Brotherhood, Revelation, 3 and Black Flag. Not sure to play everything but I definitely want to play the second because I heard so much about it.

I am really interested in Unity (maybe because I am french and I also love the outfit) and Origins (in my young years I was a fanatic of ancient Egypt).
Also Valhalla got me quite hyped despite not knowing the serie.
Was the same. Boy, you're gonna love Origins my friend.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I loved 2 and the direct sequels but that was ages ago. The rest were OK games but lacked an engaging overall narrative. Origins and then Odyssey have been good improvements to the gameplay but also continued the trend of overwhelming the player with a ridiculous amount of repetitive content. I hope Valhalla is like Odyssey with less useless content and has more experimental future stuff instead of shit I wish I could skip.

Black Flag was brilliant and so atmospheric too. The best part was sailing around attacking shit, singing shanties, drinking while playing and just wrecking it in a new area. I'm not sucked into the others in the series but really looking forward to Valhalla.

Nankatsu

All elements consider, specially narrative, I'll have to go with Assassin's Creed 2.

Gameplay only wise, the funniest is Black Flag.

sertopico

Hard to choose, every episode was good at something but mediocre/plain bad somewhere else. The whole franchise never reached excellence on almost every aspect, gameplay above all. BUT, if I really have to pick one I'd say Origins because I love the Hellenistic Age.

So after nearly 200 votes, here is the rank:

1. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (25.9%)
  2. Assassin's Creed II (18.7%)
  3. Assassin's Creed Odyssey (16.6%)
  4. Assassin's Creed Origins (12.4%)
  5. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (10.4%)
  6. Assassin's Creed (5.7%)
  7. Assassin's Creed Unity (4.1%)
  8. Assassin's Creed III (2.6%)
  9. Assassin's Creed Rogue (2.1%)
  10. Assassin's Creed Syndicate (1.6%)
  11. Assassin's Creed Revelations, Assassin's Creed III: Liberation (0.0%)

The biggest change is Rogue got some votes, so we have some Templars mixed in here!

New question for Gaf: who is your favorite and least favorite Protagonist?
  • Altair Ibn-La'Ahad
  • Ezio Auditore da Firenze
  • Haytham Kenway
  • Connor Kenway (Ratonhnhaké:ton)
  • Aveline de Granpre'
  • Edward Kenway
  • Shay Cormac
  • Arno Dorian
  • Jacob Frye
  • Evie Frye
  • Bayek
  • Alexios/Kassandra
My favorite is probably Ezio or Edward. They were the most likeable and had great arcs. An honorable mention is Arno because I liked the love story with Elise; they had really good chemistry. My least favorite is probably Connor since he was kind of a block of wood and doesn't really grow.

Jacob is also pretty hilarious and his chemistry with Evie was fun. Having twin assassins was a great idea.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I've played 3 games in the series:
- the OG
- AC2
-AC: Revelations

The original was the worst. I like the mechanics especially the fighting, which ain't super complex but plays and feels good. The environtments are well made too. Other than that there isn't really much to it. Missiondesign is very repetitive. Feels like a proof of concept. Its okay.

AC2 is an improvment in every way and I actually very much enjoyed it from start to finish. Missiondesign is much better (still room to improvment) and generally there is much more to do. I liked the temples especially. Great game!

AC: Revelations comes with a lot of new features and mechanics. Most of them are just "there" though. It's not like they are badly made, they just don't add to much to the base game. It's also a lot easier I think.
Still a good game. AC2 is much better though.

So after nearly 200 votes, here is the rank:

1. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (25.9%)
  2. Assassin's Creed II (18.7%)
  3. Assassin's Creed Odyssey (16.6%)
  4. Assassin's Creed Origins (12.4%)
  5. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (10.4%)
  6. Assassin's Creed (5.7%)
  7. Assassin's Creed Unity (4.1%)
  8. Assassin's Creed III (2.6%)
  9. Assassin's Creed Rogue (2.1%)
  10. Assassin's Creed Syndicate (1.6%)
  11. Assassin's Creed Revelations, Assassin's Creed III: Liberation (0.0%)

The biggest change is Rogue got some votes, so we have some Templars mixed in here!

New question for Gaf: who is your favorite and least favorite Protagonist?
  • Altair Ibn-La'Ahad
  • Ezio Auditore da Firenze
  • Haytham Kenway
  • Connor Kenway (Ratonhnhaké:ton)
  • Aveline de Granpre'
  • Edward Kenway
  • Shay Cormac
  • Arno Dorian
  • Jacob Frye
  • Evie Frye
  • Bayek
  • Alexios/Kassandra
My favorite is probably Ezio or Edward. They were the most likeable and had great arcs. An honorable mention is Arno because I liked the love story with Elise; they had really good chemistry. My least favorite is probably Connor since he was kind of a block of wood and doesn't really grow.

Jacob is also pretty hilarious and his chemistry with Evie was fun. Having twin assassins was a great idea.

Ezio was the best, most fleshed out protagonist. You were with him from being a kid into old age and he really grasped that he was talking through time to Desmond.

Connor was just the worst. Did everything begrudgingly and almost seemed to demand praise for doing it. He also had the personality of a doorstop.

Kenpachii

Liked bayek the most. Origin also the best i think as overall package. AC odyssey combat is by far the best out of the entire series tho.

I have played all of them but one, and the one set in Paris. The Ezio games, Black Flag and Odyssey are my favourites. I think it's a little unfair to compare Origins and Odyssey to the previous games as they're quite different.

lock2k

Banned
I don't know about the new ones, I used to love this series until 3 happened and I just couldn't do it anymore.

Tried Blackflag (which is praised to hell and back and winning the poll) but I never understood the hype. More like Boreflag to me. Sailing that ship sucked balls. I liked the parkour aspects of earlier entries. If I want the sea I can play Ecco the Dolphin :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I gave the series up before Black Flag, but it clearly still has a place in people's hearts. Just how much of it is ship to ship combat? I despised the ship stuff in 3, which was a shame because 3 made me want the Templars to win.

Convince me to play it.

Edit: It was Rogue I was thinking of, that shows how out of touch I am with the series. I still want convincing, I wouldn't mind another game in the series if it was worth it.

Last edited:

Arachnid

I gave the series up before Black Flag, but it clearly still has a place in people's hearts. Just how much of it is ship to ship combat? I despised the ship stuff in 3, which was a shame because 3 made me want the Templars to win.

Convince me to play it.

Edit: It was Rogue I was thinking of, that shows how out of touch I am with the series. I still want convincing, I wouldn't mind another game in the series if it was worth it.
The ship stuff in 3 was boring and I hated it too. I skipped as much of it as I could.

In 4? It made the game. Way more fleshed out mechanically, and it's fkn epic going toe to toe with a man of war ship in the middle of a storm with turbulent waves. It's a large chunk of what you'll be doing, but you will enjoy it.

Rogue was great too. Think of it as an expansion to 4. It actually ties the story of 4 and Unity together, while also giving some info on how things wrapped for Connor (from 3). Gameplay wise though, it's the exact same as 4.

Laptop1991

I would choose Kassandra as my favourite protagonist, even though i chose Origin's over Odyssey game wise, i prefer her character to Bayek, i thought she well written personally and fitted the game perfectly,

i have only just finished the Ezio trilogy, so i don't have a 10 year old knowledge of the character or any nostalgic references to him, but he did have 3 game's to most other characters one, so maybe its a little unfair really, i know Altair better as i played the 1st game back in 07, but i have spent over 200 hours in both Origin's and Odyssey, the older games don't come anywhere near in time played, so it's between those games for me,

Least favourite is the one from AC 3, the free remaster, i never even got as far as to play as Connor, i really didn't like that game and turned it off and have no desire to play it again.

Top Bottom