• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best budget 4K TV for PS4 Pro w/HDR?

Paradicia

Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a PS4 Pro and ultimately a 4K TV. I've been searching around for TVs but I'm kind of thrown of by the difference in specs as it's a lot different than buying a PC monitor. The price differences can be in the thousands.

My budget is below 1000 euro as I want to put money towards a back log of games I've been wanting to play.

I've had my eye on the 55" Class KU6500 from Samsung but it's sold out at the moment.

Can anyone give me some recommendations from what you're currently gaming on themselves. It would be much appreciated.

superjona

To be honest, I wouldn't buy an "HDR" tv that doesn't have a full 10-bit panel. This is just fake HDR and while it will look better than SDR, it's nowhere near the real thing.

I'd save for a KS8000 (US) or KS7000 (EU) series tv - they're widely regarded as a great gaming tv with excellent image quality and response times. Don't know where you're located, but here in Belgium, the 55 inch KS7000 doesn't cost much more than €1000.

The Sony X800D is fantastic. I picked it up for around $650. If you can find one, I highly recommend giving it a consideration.

Sony X800D
TV REVIEW

8.4 rating for games
8.1 rating for HDR games
Also handles motion blur and upscaling very well; some of the best in the business (Sony's TV's)

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

^^^Gaf thread for owners of the TV

Edit: Like others have suggested, if you can save up for the Samsung KS8000, I would do so.

Kamina

Golden Boy
To be honest, I wouldn't buy an "HDR" tv that doesn't have a full 10-bit panel. This is just fake HDR and while it will look better than SDR, it's nowhere near the real thing.

I'd save for a KS8000 (US) or KS7000 (EU) series tv - they're widely regarded as a great gaming tv with excellent image quality and response times. Don't know where you're located, but here in Belgium, the 55 inch KS7000 doesn't cost much more than €1000.
If the TV states that it supports HDR, how can it not be full 10bit? I thought HDR is 10bit upwards?

Euler007

The new 2017 Vizio M series for sure. In my neck of the woods it's half the price of the Samsung KS8000 and the model that replaced it. Check the rtings review.

Pennywise

If the TV states that it supports HDR, how can it not be full 10bit? I thought HDR is 10bit upwards?
Doesn't really hit the necessary brightness to support it properly.

OP. Rather spend 100-200 $ or € more on an KS8000 or KS7000, depending on where you're from, and be happy with it.
Always check for local offers, that's how I got mine relatively cheap.

Mr Moose

I bought a Sony Bravia KD43XD8088BU last year for £521 from Tesco Direct, nice TV.
4K/HDR and stuff.

It seems to come in 43, 49 and 55 inch.

Pachimari

The Sony X800D is fantastic. I picked it up for around $650. If you can find one, I highly recommend giving it a consideration.

Sony X800D
TV REVIEW

8.4 rating for games
8.1 rating for HDR games
Also handles motion blur and upscaling very well; some of the best in the business (Sony's TV's)

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

^^^Gaf thread for owners of the TV
But are these available in 65" sizes? I've been looking around the last couple of days and can't seem to find any here in Denmark.

superjona

Non 10-bit tv's (such as the KU6500) come with HDR marketing. They get away with it because it technically supports HDR inputs, it just can't process them as good as 'real' HDR. Terrible marketing.

Rellik

The whole HDR marketing thing is terrible. You can buy a TV thinking you have it but it's really some fake BS which is nowhere near what it needs to be.

BumRush

Over in the gaf TV thread, a few people have purchased the new TCL Roku TV which is getting rave reviews (both from users and professional outlets). Can't vouch for it as I haven't seen it in the wild but it's a strong contender for king of budget 4Ks

Paradicia

Some great suggestions throughout this thread so far. Would anyone recommend a curved 4k over a flat 4k panel for viewing angles?

Sturtiebe

I have a Samsung UE40JU7000 but its 8bit hdr and not real i think.

Is it better i set it off or on? I have much clouding if i look to the sky.

Please help for setting :)

superjona

Some great suggestions throughout this thread so far. Would anyone recommend a curved 4k over a flat 4k panel for viewing angles?

It doesn't really matter for viewing angles, but curved tv's generally have a lot more trouble with reflections than flat panels.

Logash

I have a VIZIO M55‑D0 and it has the best rtings score for it's price. An 8.1 for HDR gaming and a 7.9 overall. I paid around $650 for it but I could only find them for $699.99 when I looked just now. The only negatives I can think of is I hate the tablet controller and it's a VA display.

Yeah, OP this is worth the look. Plus it's much cheaper so replacing in 3-ish years becomes more attractive

Just gotta be able to live with terrible viewing angles and potentially awful blacklight bleed.

Also I myself would probably pay 400$ more for wide color gamut, better build quality etc.

BumRush

Just gotta be able to live with terrible viewing angles and potentially awful blacklight bleed.

Also I myself would probably pay 400$ more for wide color gamut, better build quality etc.

Yeah I don't disagree. Definitely worth a look though.

Also, the extra $400 doesn't ensure improved viewing angles, lack of clouding, etc. I've been burned by Samsung before and I'm sure other LED sets have those issues.

Euler007

I have a VIZIO M55‑D0 and it has the best rtings score for it's price. An 8.1 for HDR gaming and a 7.9 overall. I paid around $650 for it but I could only find them for $699.99 when I looked just now. The only negatives I can think of is I hate the tablet controller and it's a VA display.

The M55-E0 just came out and it's even better. Probably not worth an upgrade for you, but good for OP.

About curved TVs : great for one person in the sweet spot, not so much for everyone else in the room. Pass on that feature.

Yeah I don't disagree. Definitely worth a look though.

Also, the extra $400 doesn't ensure improved viewing angles, lack of clouding, etc. I've been burned by Samsung before and I'm sure other LED sets have those issues.

Just gotta do some research and find the best set for you.

Rtings.com is a godsend for people wanting to read up on it.

Tinman dX

Banned
I needed a new TV and bought one last year. It's a stop gap 4Kinda TV LG 60UH series. I love my 60" TV does everything in 1080 really well and I know it does 4k and it looks good to me, and sometimes really impresses me, but it's no where near the class of TV's in the $1500 and up range.

I got this TV for less than $700 seemed like the perfect option for me as I needed a TV cause my old TV developed a weird line and I purchased this new on as a stop gap and am putting money back for something a little better in the future.

Basically if the TV looks good to you and you get your money's worth don't really fret about all the specs cause you can always use it while saving for something else in the future.

Make sure to do your homework on whatever TV you go with. I had to return a Vizio M55-D0 last year because the firmware absolutely refused to work with the PS4 Pro in HDR. Looked around online and there were tons of similar complaints.

That may have been sorted out by now, but at the time it was a nightmare of trying to enable HDR, getting a screen full of static, rebooting in safe mode, over and over again.

That said, I can totally vouch for the Samsung KS8000. Great TV worth saving up for.

miserable

RTings might be be great, just not for those who live in a third world country like me, because the tv models available in my country are never featured there or on any review sites.

mindsale

I'm moving into a new house and I've got to buy a TV for the living room, was thinking a 65-70 inch 4K if that's possible in the States for 1,000-1,500.

Do any of the models in this thread fall within that price point?

EvB

l1Isw8Z.gif

HDR is a bit of a mess, I really wouldn't go for an X800D if you are wanting that experience, as it can only display about 60% of HDR10

MazeHaze

Banned
I'm moving into a new house and I've got to buy a TV for the living room, was thinking a 65-70 inch 4K if that's possible in the States for 1,000-1,500.

Do any of the models in this thread fall within that price point?

eh, not really. If you want a nice 4k HDR set in that price range, you're looking at 55 inch.

no it does not. youd have to upgrade to the P series for HDR

mindsale

eh, not really. If you want a nice 4k HDR set in that price range, you're looking at 55 inch.

no it does not. youd have to upgrade to the P series for HDR

Typically I go to Slickdeals and look for televisions when I'm in the market for personal or office televisions. Hopefully I get lucky and some are discounted.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Budget and HDR dont go together right now. Understand that you wont be getting the full experiance and dont judge HDR based on screens incapable of showing it fully. Even the X800D, so often recomended here, at the end of the day can not do every part of the HDR spec and lacks the hardware for some of the best parts (No edge lit will ever be able to do HDR properly, local dimming is fudged completely)

Ephemeris

Yup. 55' 4K UHD HDR Roku OS. $600.

The Verge calls it the best budget 4K set you can buy right now

Gamers will also be satisfied, because the P-Series offers some of the lowest input lag around on a 4K TV when you toggle on the game mode setting.

The viewing experience you get from this $599 TV is on par with sets that cost two or three times as much. There’s no glaring weakness to be found in the P-Series. After a couple weeks and many hours spent reviewing the 55-inch model, I’ve failed to uncover any deal-breakers or issues that would hold back a gleaming recommendation.

That TV doesn't have HDR. If you bump up to the 2017 M-Series, they've upgraded those to include 10-Bit panels and Vizio's Full Array Local Dimming is pretty solid. They've also brought the input lag down quite a bit this year. Looks like this is a new contender for budget HDR: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-5...h-dynamic-range-black/5762813.p?skuId=5762813

Top Bottom