• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best cover art of all time

brian0057

Banned
I think this cover is much better:
splintercell_219013.jpg

Don´t get me wrong, I love that cover but... it's not exactly original

faces.jpg

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I know this cover for special edition but I really wish this was cover for regular edition as well.
c726b845ecd947bc5edfd1a994f6cb02.jpg

gotta go with the goat ...

... mmmm ok in all seriousness, , best fantasy cover art for me is actually either FF VI (Japanese SFC release art) or the FF XII Collector's Edition (American PS2 release art/case) (also the GOAT steel case IMO)

or I'd have to go with an old gold box game that used a Larry Elmore painting for Dungeons & Dragons

though TBH, I'm not sure if it's actually a video game 'covert art' or just art that was used by a game. namely because the same art was used in the D&D novel The Tainted Sword, though that novel was published 1992 and the game (wholly unrelated story or even campaign world) was published 1990. the art may have even originally just been for the D&D pen and paper, I never actually figured that out.

I actually own a lithograph of this art though and have it nicely framed ;p pretty big one, hangs wide over my den couch

that aside, my 'favorites' are of a different setting, and I'd have to go with either Deus Ex (thankfully already posted) or another Larry Elmore paitning in that of the Sega Genesis version of Shadowrun

either deus ex, shadowrun (sega), or a third one (probably obvious hhhh)

Last edited:

Andyliini

US Mega Man is classic "so bad it's good", but I think the PAL version was legit awesome
Full art that was used:
MM1_PAL.jpg

Only now I realize that they used the original concept for Dr. Wily's Robot Manufacturing Plant in that piece of artwork. Fascinating.

Makariel

One game of which the cover I always found peculiar is the first X-COM, the different versions of the cover look like they are for completely different genres, let alone games:

cover.jpg

4775F69F02862928810266EED488C47DDB5A8118

221490-x-com-ufo-defense-playstation-front-cover.jpg

166122-x-com-ufo-defense-dos-front-cover.jpg

Let's ignore for a second that they were sold under different titles (UFO Enemy Unknown and X-COM UFO Defense are the same game), how come the cover art is so inconsistent? I have the one on top, it gave me nightmares and this type of alien didn't even show up in the base game.

bMMyMiyl.png

I just realized there is Akuma in the background, I never noticed that before.

wkxnCFPl.jpg

what the hell is going on.

gsRsUfnl.jpg

Back when cover arts had 20x more detail than the actual game.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
I
I love it haha! Looks so good.
lol different strokes... doesn't help that I was spoiled with the Dreamcast version before that one existed. It just seems so jarring and inconsistent with the rest of the artwork, and the faces look fugly and different to me. Except Jainmin, he actually looks great on that cover and I'm glad they added that scene to it...

Mochilador

lol different strokes... doesn't help that I was spoiled with the Dreamcast version before that one existed. It just seems so jarring and inconsistent with the rest of the artwork, and the faces look fugly and different to me. Except Jainmin, he actually looks great on that cover and I'm glad they added that scene to it...
I have both games for the Dreamcast (japanese versions, LE for Shenmue 2) but I prefer the Xbox cover because it's looks hand drawn instead of CG renders of the characters like in the DC cover.

I remember being soooo sad that this wasn't an actual location in the game, and that the characters didn't change their clothes like this.

(But you add in the monster too and also Marle using fire and you kinda figure it was pretty early concept art haha)

Easily my favorite of all the great CT concept art though, and probably my favorite SNES box art (either that or SFC box for FF VI).

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
images

I don't necessarily agree with the placement of the logo and stuff, but the background art is sick! I've had that as my desktop and phone wallpaper for over 2 years now.

Top Bottom