• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Dungeons/Temples in TLoZ: Ocarina of Time?

Best Dungeons/Temples?

• Total voters

Cutty Flam

Banned
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is filled with classic dungeons, but which are the very best in the game?

This is highly debatable, but if I am to choose, it's the Fire Temple, Forest Temple, and Shadow Temple in that order - all things considered

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The Forest Temple and the Fire Temple were my favorite, both in atmosphere and layout.

My least favorite would be the Shadow Temple. Not saying it's bad but it's just the one I enjoyed least.

It's been so long since I last played it, but my best memories are from the Forest and Spirit Temples. The first three dungeons are just ok. I would guess those were developed first, and the more impressive adult Link temples were created once they got their heads around this 3D thing.

Cutty Flam

Banned
The Forest Temple and the Fire Temple were my favorite, both in atmosphere and layout.

My least favorite would be the Shadow Temple. Not saying it's bad but it's just the one I enjoyed least.
I think out of all the Temples in the game, the Shadow Temple is probably the one that can be singled out and called the least impressive of the bunch. But with me, I had an amazing time playing through the Shadow Temple so it makes my top three. Every Temple in the game is outstanding. The boss of the Shadow Temple blew me away the first time I saw it. Definitely a shocking enemy to lay eyes, especially if you were a kid when you happened to play OOT. The entrance and presentation leading up to the fight was perfect. It was a frightening enough place to navigate in the first place, the Shadow Temple, but then Link plummets down to the depths of the Temple to see the enemy toying with his prey on whatever drum habitat he had going on down there. Navi states in the game that the Bongo Bongo was revived from the well (in Kakariko Village) ...The Bottom of the Well was a fairly traumatic place to visit in its own right especially considering that abomination (Mini-Boss of Bottom of the Well, "Dead Hands") living down there but I think the last boss in the game I would want to fight face to face is the one in the Shadow Temple, especially considering where and how Link had to fight it. Link fought in a Temple nobody would ever know existed, at the very bottom of it, in pitch darkness versus the largest beast in the game outside of Ganon. But Link had to fight against pretty much every disadvantage in the book versus Bongo Bongo if you think about it. Enters the battlefield in shock having fallen what seemed like 100ft, the enemies hands alone are each like 10X his size, and if the pitch blackness he must fight in is not daunting enough, he also has to rely on the Lens of Truth while attacking because the enemy is a phantom beast invisible to the ordinary eye
It's been so long since I last played it, but my best memories are from the Forest and Spirit Temples. The first three dungeons are just ok. I would guess those were developed first, and the more impressive adult Link temples were created once they got their heads around this 3D thing.
Dodongo's Cavern was excellent, especially loved the music. But you're right, they really stepped it up with the dungeons after the third one

^^That's about as unsettling as it gets
Forest Temple

Just the idea of an ancient, forgotten temple being hidden by a lush forest is exciting to me. And i think OOT nailed that aspect perfectly.
Agree 100%

The Forest Temple pretty much has perfect level design. I love everything that takes place in the entire level. I never really paid this great of attention, but some say that it more resembles a Mansion instead of a Temple. I wonder if the developers of Nintendo were inspired in any way by Resident Evil?

Mmnow

I've gone with the first three. Might not be technically the best designed, but my every memory of this title is cemented in and around child Link's segments.

It's not a game that suffered with quality drop, but man the nostalgia is real.

Last edited:

CeeJay

My best memories of the game were when I was stuck in the water temple for what seemed like weeks making slow but steady progress with no access to the Web. Its too easy these days to look on the Internet for solutions. That level was a master class in complex unified puzzle design that I feel was only bested by the witness.

Cutty Flam

Banned
My best memories of the game were when I was stuck in the water temple for what seemed like weeks making slow but steady progress with no access to the Web. Its too easy these days to look on the Internet for solutions. That level was a master class in complex unified puzzle design that I feel was only bested by the witness.
Lol I have a funny story to tell about how I got stuck on the Water Temple but it's pretty long. Will just say that I too was stuck on the Water Temple for weeks. Roughly three weeks. I wish there was a way to know the true percentage of players that found themselves stuck trying to figure out how to advance in the Water Temple for multiple weeks. It seems like most were stumped for a very long time, maybe not weeks like you and I were for example, but way longer than is typical in comparison to any other dungeon in the series

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
When I think about it... they all suck. MM>>>>

akIMcpI.gif

ethomaz

Banned
Lol I have a funny story to tell about how I got stuck on the Water Temple but it's pretty long. Will just say that I too was stuck on the Water Temple for weeks. Roughly three weeks. I wish there was a way to know the true percentage of players that found themselves stuck trying to figure out how to advance in the Water Temple for multiple weeks. It seems like most were stumped for a very long time, maybe not weeks like you and I were for example, but way longer than is typical in comparison to any other dungeon in the series
I was stuck way more time with Zelda SNES because I was a kid without know to read English.

Ocarina of Time was fine because I can read everything already... so the game basically give you all the hints (the SNES game too but that on my side because Brasil didn’t focus on English in education).

Last edited:

Neff

Deku Tree is a perfect introduction to the game, the new 3D format, and the series in general. It eases the player in gently while throwing out many new features and concepts, without ever overwhelming or confusing. Great layout, great atmosphere, terrific use of camera work. As soon as you took that high dive plunge through the web into the lower levels, you realised just how big a deal the game was and would continue to be.

Forest Temple is the first really huge dungeon, and again it's a perfect example of the game making increasing demands of the player, and a great thematic complement to Link's older form. Incredibly eerie and stunningly memorable.

Water Temple is quite simply the finest Zelda dungeon ever made, and perhaps the single best example of level design I can think of.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Forest Temple was legit creepy and took place at the game when you were the weakest as an adult. One thing I loved doing was getting into the Forest Temple, leaving it and to get the Big Goron Sword and whooping Phantom Gannon's ASS!!!!!!!

The dungeons in OOT are pretty quaint compared to later titles, MM included, but I like the fire (on the gold cart with islamic chanting makes it cooler), forest and spirit temples the most.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
When I think about it... they all suck. MM>>>>
The dungeons in OOT are pretty quaint compared to later titles, MM included, but I like the fire (on the gold cart with islamic chanting makes it cooler), forest and spirit temples the most.

Beer Baelly Beer Baelly Idk man, the music and atmosphere alone are God-Tier. They could have reduced the content by maybe 30% and I'd still likely consider them better than every other 3D Zelda game's dungeons. Which two dungeons in the game would you say were the ones you disliked the most? Majora's Mask has some really good dungeons, I loved all of them

StateofMajora StateofMajora I'm surprised that Nintendo managed to hit bullseye with so many of the dungeons. They were really on point with every single one of them given the game's release date. Personally I don't see how you could call OOT's dungeons quaint in comparison to MM's (especially MM's first dungeon) but it doesn't really matter much since nearly every single dungeon in both those games is superb if not greater IMO

Deku Tree is a perfect introduction to the game, the new 3D format, and the series in general. It eases the player in gently while throwing out many new features and concepts, without ever overwhelming or confusing. Great layout, great atmosphere, terrific use of camera work. As soon as you took that high dive plunge through the web into the lower levels, you realised just how big a deal the game was and would continue to be.

Forest Temple is the first really huge dungeon, and again it's a perfect example of the game making increasing demands of the player, and a great thematic complement to Link's older form. Incredibly eerie and stunningly memorable.

Water Temple is quite simply the finest Zelda dungeon ever made, and perhaps the single best example of level design I can think of.
Inside the Great Deku Tree truly is a perfect introduction to the game. Really did set the tone in OOT perfectly. Link’s support is fairly strong throughout the game, but the closest to him was probably The Great Deku Tree. It could also be said that Navi or Saria or Zelda are his closest allies just the same, given the circumstances...But The Great Deku Tree seemed like family, like a wise old elder Link could count on for advice and visit at any time he (or any other Kokiri inhabitant) wanted or needed. Trying to imagine how Link must have felt during that dungeon and after the fact puts everything into perspective and for me personally, and there is no wonder as to why the Hero of Time is so valiant all throughout the adventure in OOT. It always seemed more to me like a mission given the Hero of Time’s mannerisms. He’s the consummate warrior IMO. Once Link understands how dire matters have become after listening The Great Deku Tree’s words in his final moments; through his wisdom and his guidance, Link understands clearly what he must do and immediately leaves the Kokiri Forest for Hyrule. The Great Deku Tree suffered death at the hands of Ganondorf’s curse after he refused to relinquish the first Spiritual Stone which was to remain in his possession. It’s the ultimate beginning, so much happens so quickly and despite Link’s efforts to save his guardian, there was nothing he could do. The Great Deku Tree says to Link that even though he has accomplished all the wishes he had for him and broken the death curse that Ganondorf cast upon him, that he was doomed from the start essentially. Link saved The Great Deku Tree, but it would prove that it was only in time to relay those very important last messages he had for Link so that Hyrule would have hope. Also, The Great Deku Tree’s story of the creation of Hyrule’s beginning, the Three Golden Goddesses, and the creation of the Triforce is one of the most beautiful moments in gaming history for me. It was a breathtaking moment in storytelling

There are two "best dungeons" for me.

First one is the Forest Temple. I loved how the dungeon was structured with that Poe hunting, the music was great, and that twisting corridor was genius.

Second one is... the Water Temple, fuck the haters. It's probably one of the best in the series imho, the only issue is that you need to go into the menus all the time to equip/unequip the iron shoes, but that's hardly the fault of the dungeon itself.

StateofMajora StateofMajora I'm surprised that Nintendo managed to hit bullseye with so many of the dungeons. They were really on point with every single one of them given the game's release date. Personally I don't see how you could call OOT's dungeons quaint in comparison to MM's (especially MM's first dungeon) but it doesn't really matter much since nearly every single dungeon in both those games is superb if not greater IMO
Well, I should clarify that Wind waker isn't less quaint in its dungeons than OOT, but anyways.

Even the first temple in MM just feels more solid and compact than temples in OOT, though it is on the simple and short side. Each dungeon after that increases in complexity, and with regards to variety MM is helped by the transformation masks.

But then again, OOT really didn't need the most extravagant or perfect design to get it by as it was the first of its kind. For the time and what it was, it was magnificent to be sure.

Top Bottom