• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best fast, free image host to replace IMGUR since it went to shit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've hated imgur ever since it started becoming a social media or whatever the fuck you want to call it abomination that it is now. Used to be I could upload pictures and get share links fast and easy, or drag and drop a bunch of pics and get share links just as easily (or right click copy destination). Nowadays there's all sorts of hoops that you have to jump through. Several more clicks are needed to get the goods and it takes precious extra seconds/minutes to do pretty much everything.

I know that imgur has always been shit w/ regard to image quality getting borked by the compression implementation and as such a lot of people have always hated them. I never so much cared about this aspect since I always just used the service to quickly share pictures on forums and such where quality wasn't so much of a concern.

So my question is, has imgur been usurped by any other better service that does the quick and easy image upload thing as well as or better than imgur used to? Ideally they'd also have an Android app and a Firefox or Chrome extension that allows right click->Rehost and Copy to Clipboard option but I'd be willing to forego either of those if it's less of a pain in the ass to use than modern imgur.

I would really like to have an alternative as well.

Their new layout is shit for getting quick picyures which is why I use them in the first place.

What this guy said. Ayyyyyyyyy

I would really like to have an alternative as well.

Their new layout is shit for getting quick picyures which is why I use them in the first place.

cjp

If anybody suggests Photobucket in this thread I vote that they should be shot.

abload.de

Using it for 10+ years now.

Beware as it is ridden with pop-ups and po-unders i.e. when you try to copy the IMG link but once you close them all it works fine.

jts

...hate me...
Imgur went to shit alright, but I don't know if they changed this back or it was always like that - for simple images it still works well for me (although before it was even better):

1) Upload image
2) Right click on image -> copy image address

Sorted. Just memorize that you can add an m of an l to the end of filename to get the Large or Medium sizes.

Gifs and batch uploading are messed up though.

Abload.de
Postimage.org

Both are fine substitutes for Imgur.

Been using those. No complaints. imgur images never show up as just images when I click on them. It's always embedded on their site, so I never even tried using it because I hate it when people use imgur on here.

Kite

Postimage.org

You can upload via url or file and has the option to resize pics to preset sizes.

Kerensky

Banned
You can easily make your own imagehost if you have a home server running nginx and sharex. Less advertisements and tracking cookies to deal with.

You can easily make your own imagehost if you have a home server running nginx and sharex. Less advertisements and tracking cookies to deal with.
Unfortunately, as the OP did not mention running any home servers, I think it's fair to say that's probably outside of the scope of what he's looking for.

Audioboxer

IMGur is alright still, only a few more clicks than before. Crappy changes but I assume based around trying to get people to use the site rather than just dump images and hotlink everywhere. Dunno if I'd trust some of the smaller names to stay alive long.

jett

D-Member
Imgur is great, I have no idea what you people are doing that makes it not work for you. And it now accepts PNGs as-is and won't recompress JPEGs either.

Abload is also good.

Lace

He's basically asking where he can buy some food and your suggestion is to start a restaurant. I love it.

Pro tip: imgur images can be quickly resized by simply adding a character to the image URL. For example:

http://i.imgur.com/1Qx7a6F.jpg (this is the original image)
1Qx7a6F.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1Qx7a6Fh.jpg (huge)
1Qx7a6Fh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1Qx7a6Fl.jpg (large)
1Qx7a6Fl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1Qx7a6Fm.jpg (medium)
1Qx7a6Fm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1Qx7a6Ft.jpg (thumbnail)
1Qx7a6Ft.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1Qx7a6Fb.jpg (big square)
1Qx7a6Fb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1Qx7a6Fs.jpg (small square)
1Qx7a6Fs.jpg

Coreda

This is what I use for Imgur uploads (apart from also using Abload):

imageuploaderdemosnjd4.gif

Image Uploader. Adds context menu upload for single/multiple files, complete with BBCode formatting auto addition. Portable version available.

Mentioned in the avatar OT but didn't add it to the OP since it requires a tiny addition to get it working with Imgur after an API change last year and the author hasn't updated it to include the fix available. Follow these steps to get Imgur support working with it again.

[2017-06 edit]: updated the steps for the fix.

Been using those. No complaints. imgur images never show up as just images when I click on them. It's always embedded on their site, so I never even tried using it because I hate it when people use imgur on here.

You do know you can just right-click on any image on any site and click on "Copy Image Location"? It's a basic feature of every browser...

Isn't it a bit crazy that so many people are recommending a German website? Like, there isn't any single good English image hosting website left?

Coreda

Isn't it a bit crazy that so many people are recommending a German website? Like, there isn't any single good English image hosting website left?

The language barrier makes it less popular for English users, sure, but at the same time it's possibly what has made it survive so long as a nuts and bolts image host.

There are countless English image and file hosting sites that have died over the years, mostly due to running out of funding. Imgur is still decent with alternative upload interfaces as mentioned above, and has outlived many similar hosts without being completely meh like Photobucket or whathaveyou.

ItIsOkBro

Imgur went to shit alright, but I don't know if they changed this back or it was always like that - for simple images it still works well for me (although before it was even better):

1) Upload image
2) Right click on image -> copy image address

and then you get imgur.com/undefined.png or something

Audioboxer

This is what I use for Imgur uploads (apart from also using Abload):

imageuploaderdemosnjd4.gif

Image Uploader. Adds context menu upload for single/multiple files, complete with BBCode formatting auto addition. Portable version available.

Mentioned in the avatar OT but didn't add it to the OP since it requires a tiny addition to get it working with Imgur after an API change last year and the author hasn't updated it to include the fix available. Follow these steps to get Imgur support working with it again.

Handy! :D

Lucumo

There are countless English image and file hosting sites that have died over the years, mostly due to running out of funding. Imgur is still decent with alternative upload interfaces as mentioned above, and has outlived many similar hosts without being completely meh like Photobucket or whathaveyou.

Such as ImageShack...it's a shame I didn't download certain pictures and just saved them as links. Lesson learned, at a cost.

entremet

Can't you use dropbox?

I really don't like these image hosting web services. They seem so low rent and sketchy.

Coreda

Such as ImageShack...it's a shame I didn't download certain pictures and just saved them as links. Lesson learned, at a cost.

Ouch. Reading about it they wiped a large number of old images in 2014, and in 2015 made free users' images non-hotlinkable.

Can't you use dropbox?

You can, though it's fiddly as they'll be shutting down Public folders as of March 15th for free users. Leaving the only method I can see of creating public, direct links as clicking the Share button for each image then changing the URL scheme. It's hardly a streamlined process but it's possible (for now).

Worth noting they also disabled direct links for HTML pages just before this change, late last year. So they're cutting back on public links in general it seems.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
abload.de

may take a few seconds to get familiar with the website if you don't speak german but it's the most reliable host i've seen and continuously using in the last few years.

entremet

Ouch. Reading about it they wiped a large number of old images in 2014, and in 2015 made free users' images non-hotlinkable.

You can, though it's fiddly as they'll be shutting down Public folders as of March 15th for free users. Leaving the only method I can see of creating public, direct links as clicking the Share button for each image then changing the URL scheme. It's hardly a streamlined process but it's possible (for now).

Worth noting they also disabled direct links for HTML pages just before this change, late last year. So they're cutting back on public links in general it seems.

Damn. Dropbox seems to be getting worse by the day. Probably getting killed by the big incumbents--Google, MS, and now Apple with iCloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom