• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best film of the year, early voting.

I didn't see most of the movies people usually list on their top whatevers of the year. Hopefully at some point.

I'd say Endgame made me feel the most feels this year, so it'll be my movie of the year.

dottme

I don’t go to the movie theater a lot but Joker is clearly my favorite this year.
Close second is Alita: Battle Angel which was a surprise for me. I watch it in the plane and I wasn’t expecting anything of it. I only read a little on the web about it somehow.

I haven't seen anything this year but I really want to see The Lighthouse, Knives Out, and Joker.

From the few I have seen I'd say Ready Or Not is my favorite along with Endgame, but again I haven't seen much. I'll try to watch Midsommar tonight. Been wanting to watch it.

God Enel

1. Prasite
2. The lighthouse
3. Joker

my Movie of the year is I think parasite followed by the lighthouse.

Was absolutely stunned how good and entertaining parasite was. Everyone should give this film a try.
Still have to watch midsommar loved the vvitch

C4lukin2

Banned
I am not going to shat on the Wick, because it is so much fun.

But those films are a bit exhausting.

And I am more excited for Matrix 4 and Bill and Ted 3.

C4lukin2

Banned
And yeah everything is a 5 or above. I only watch films that I really want to see.

A ton of shit films that I will not ignore...

Codes 208

Dragon ball super: broly was easily my favorite.
tumblr_plixsqYRjR1se015qo1_500.gif

but if we arent including anime in theaters my vote goes to Godzilla KotM
tumblr_ptd8kjnExq1swtfnl_500.gif

Last edited:
Still need to see a few. I'm highly interested in DARK WATERS.

I also haven't seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Joker yet.

sol_bad

Pretty tough choice. My favourite movies for this year.
Ford V Ferrari, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Parasite, Us, Doctor Sleep, Dark Waters, Endgame, Far From Home, Knives Out

And movies I haven't been able to see but have heard great things about.
Uncut Gems, Marriage Story, The Lighthouse, The Peanutbutter Falcon, Booksmart, One Cut of the Dead

A lot of good content out there.
If I have to pick my top 3 that I've seen.
1: Parasite
2: Knives Out
3: Endgame

I've only seen two movies this year.

Rise of Skywalker and Endgame.

ROS was better. Endgame was kind of a bore.

I do wanna see Joker.

Fbh

Haven't seen every major release but so far the only movie I really liked this year was Parasite, which was fantastic all around

Manus

The Lighthouse
Parasite
Midsommar
Under the Silver Lake
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Still need to see Uncut Jewels.

Last edited:
Parasite. It's one of the best movies this decade, and miles ahead of anything else I saw this year.

Others that I really liked in no particular order:

Midsommar
The King
Joker
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
The Lighthouse
Us
Doctor Sleep
El Camino
Ford v Ferrari
The Irishman

I haven't seen Knives Out, 1917 or Color out of Space yet (latter 2 have wider releases in 2020), and I'm pretty sure I'll love all 3 of those.

theekad

Banned
Parasite
The Irishman
Once Upon a Time
Marriage Story
Jojo Rabbit

are probably my top 5 right now. Joker is somewhere in the top 10. Haven’t seen Uncut Gems, Little Women, or 1917 yet though.

1- Parasite
2- Irishman
3- Joker

Even though Parasite was the best movie of the year, the best scene is definitely the one where Russell tell Frank to tell Jimmy that IT IS WHAT IT IS. That entire ceremony part in the movie is pristine brilliance.

TriSuit666

Banned
The Lighthouse by a fucking country mile.

And I was about to vote Uncut Gems before I saw it too.

Last edited:

Teletraan1

Banned
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood was pretty solid. I started watching Joker the other day and got maybe a half hour in before I lost interest. I will try again but it really didn't intrigue me at all. Two slow burn movies one kept my attention, the other didn't. I haven't seen anything else new all year that is great. I had a few surprise movies I didn't hate like Alita. I was unimpressed by US. I called the "twist" in the first fucking scene. Going to check out some other movies like Parasite due to it being mentioned a lot. I haven't gotten around to watching The Irishman even though Scorsese is one of my favorites of all time. I have actually spent most of my movie watching time on older movies that got 4K releases. 35/70mm with a well done transfer really shines in 4K.

TrainedRage

Banned
Just watched (bought) Parasite. I purposely avoided spoilers until this day and wow, what a payoff. This is easily the best foreign film I have ever seen. Making you get attached to the characters, and the location. Building the tension. The acting was incredible and for the first time in a foreign film I was convinced I was watching a 'big budget Hollywood' film. In that the direction cinematography and acting were all so spectacular I forgot I was reading subtitles. And what an amazing analogy/meaning to a film about human nature, family structure and wealth gap. A+

I loved the acting in The Lighthouse.

Would watch Joker every day if I could.

Those are my top 3 in no order.

Hinedorf

Banned
I gotta check out Lighthouse and Parasite by all these opinions! I never heard of either of them at all until reading this.

Joker is the only movie I seen this year with a spark

I'd give it to Joker but it honestly wasn't that great

If I put it on right now I could easily turn to watch something else

TDK if i saw turned on i'd get stuck to it like a magnet

Wasn't the best year for movies, I've only heard of Parasite so I should check it out

Top Bottom