• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Final Fantasy mini games?

Kev Kev

Piggy backing off my “Worst Final Fantasy mini games” thread, what are your favorite mini games in FF?

I know people hated it, but Blitzball was mega fun once I got the hang of it. I also loved the Golden Saucer arcade in FFVII, specifically the bike game. I think the submarine one was fun too. The mini game in FFVIIR where you smash boxes (Moogles Challenge???) was actually pretty fun too.

What are your favorites?

Kev Kev

Triple Triad is the GOAT

I still play it in XIV to this day lol
there was an app on my iphone that had a bunch of FF stuff, and triple triad was on there. i cant remember what it was called tho. but yeah, i forgot triple triad. it is the best FF mini game, hands down

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Triple triad from FFVIII

and the less talked about one

Tetra Master from FFIX
did you ever figure out tetra master? i took the time to read up on it and understand the rules, but i feel like crazy random shit would still happen and i would lose my ass. i got to the point now where i only worry about the arrows, i dont even look at the numbers and letters. i wind up still winning like 70-80% of my matches that way so 🤷‍♂️ . any tips?

there was an app on my iphone that had a bunch of FF stuff, and triple triad was on there. i cant remember what it was called tho. but yeah, i forgot triple triad. it is the best FF mini game, hands down
I believe that was the FF Portal app. Not sure if it's still supported, though.

But yeah, TT is still the best. It's a tad annoying in XIV because there are card restrictions and earning/winning cards is completely RNG, but they recently added short-term tournaments with randomized cards (as opposed to the old week-long tournaments with your own decks) that are pretty fun.

Pallas

Gold Member
did you ever figure out tetra master? i took the time to read up on it and understand the rules, but i feel like crazy random shit would still happen and i would lose my ass. i got to the point now where i only worry about the arrows, i dont even look at the numbers and letters. i wind up still winning like 70-80% of my matches that way so 🤷‍♂️ . any tips?

Aha to be honest, it’s been a loooong time since I played FFIX, so I can’t quite remember. But I do remember it was more complex than triple triad. When I get around to playing FFIX again and refresh my memory, I’ll have to revisit this thread.

Kimahri

Banned
It's been a long time, but I mastered it pretty well to the point of never losing a game. Last time I replayed FFIX I tried to replicate my former success to great failure.

My favorite is Blitzball though. Spent more time on that than the actual game. It's a bit of a shame it becomes impossible to lose after a while, but that music keeps me going.

It truly is absurd considering the low quality detail on each card. There is Physical attack, Magic attack, and Elemental stats that all effect how you combo off other cards and shit, but it's ridiculous because all you see on the actual cards is some unrecognizable code like "M0102."

It's as if they recognized Triple Triad was slightly too simple, but overcompensated by making Tetra Master far too complicated by not giving you clear rules.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Other than the obvious winner Triple Triad, I'd say the squatting game from FF7 Remake, it was fun and the music was banging

Kev Kev

seems triple triad is pretty unaminous winner. i looked up a video and its kinda fun just to watch

dat combo at 3:45

Last edited:

dwish

I agree with pretty much everyone here on Triple Triad lol. Also saw mention of Chocobo H&C yet.

Aa for Tetra Master, the card stats are like this:
[AtkPwr][AtkType][Def][MDef]
E.g
1M02 means strength 1 magical attack, 0 def, 2 magical def
4P21 means strength 4 physical attack, 2 def, 1 magical def

Last edited:

Handel

It's only in the beginning section, but the dueling mini-game in FFIX is fun. Also enjoy the motorcycle mini-game in FFVII.

Fitzchiv

s4.jpg

the_master

The card game was the best for me. Really loved it and I wish it made a comeback in FFVII R 2.

It was a very well integrated minigame inside the regular game, across all the story and endgame. Besides it was strategic and fun, enticed you to get better cards and build a deck over the whole game. You could even convert the cards into items if you needed to. It would be great if you could actually equip them instead of consuming them.

Top Bottom