• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best game in the "Punk" Genre. Cyberpunk / SteamPunk / SolarPunk

Tschumi

Cyberpunk is a great game.

Unstable, on like 6 year old episodes, maybe. But the actual game is really fun.

What is an example of a "Solarpunk" game...what is "Solarpunk"?
Basically the opposite of Cyberpunk. A hopeful future in which we solve our contemporary problems (climate change/pollution/sustainability) and embrace a world closer to nature.

I don't think there's ever been a game like that. Kind of hard to have an interesting typical video game premise in a world that is close to utopian. I'm sure that would be easy opportunity to fall back on some great alien/existential threat to the environment.
SOLARPUNK_HD-illustration-by-Maxime-Schilde.jpeg

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
So I've learned from this thread if you add the word punk to anything it becomes a genre to fit what you want ?

Aside from cyberpunk and steam punk I swear some of these are being pulled out of people's ass but I can't tell if people are joking when they say stuff like cavepunk or not.

My favorite is definitely Cloudpunk to achieve its cyberpunk voxel look.

Hawke502

So I've learned from this thread if you add the word punk to anything it becomes a genre to fit what you want ?

Aside from cyberpunk and steam punk I swear some of these are being pulled out of people's ass but I can't tell if people are joking when they say stuff like cavepunk or not.

My favorite is definitely Cloudpunk to achieve its cyberpunk voxel look.
There are a lot of derivates of cyberpunk. Scorn is biopunk, for example.

Tomeru

How is HZD solar punk? Where in it did humanity succeed in "solving major contemporary challenges with an emphasis on sustainability problems such as climate change and pollution."

?

Solarpunk is an art movement that envisions how the future might look if humanity succeeded in solving major contemporary challenges with an emphasis on sustainability problems such as climate change and pollution.

Almost everyone must know that Horizon fits this genre so we'll
But humanity didn’t solve those problems in Horizon. Humanity was nearly wiped out, which gave the world back to nature. Is Horizon not set in a post-apocalyptic landscape?

My pick for cyberpunk is Deus Ex, like many others already picked. I haven’t played a better cyberpunk game.

vishnu_raj_c

Neo Member
check out the ascent. it's a pretty neat looking cyberpunk world. it's coming to gamepass pc/xbox as well on 7/28.

I do really like the order 1886 for a steampunk title. the game they are billions does it really well i think.

I can see why you would say some of the aesthetic characteristics or art style in horizon zero dawn look solarpunk. However, i don't think it's actually solarpunk. It's more post apocalyptic where as solarpunk is all about reaching renewable energy peak and is like the utopian view. horizon really isnt that. I really can't think of any game that i've played or seen that does though.

Of the three i'd personally have to say i prefer cyberpunk. the typical blade runner look, sound, and atmosphere just really resonates with me.
Deus Ex💪.

Jaxcellent

100% Syndicate wars... I love that game and it predicted the future pretty good unfortunetely "Move alone!" I was thinking the other day, syndicate wars could make an amazing VR game.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Not a great game but an amazing intro, especially the music: Reinforcer on the Sharp X68000. "This game is cyberpunk action".

Illusion City is also cyber as hell. Also exists on the PC Engine CDROM² but this is the even more rare MSX TurboR version

And visually one of the greatest, Possessioner on the PC98

Last edited:

Fluo

Arcanum for steampunk.

Harder to pick the best one for cyberpunk. Torn between Deus Ex and Shadowrun: Dragonfall

Last edited:
Top Bottom