• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best game to get into BioWare world?

butman

So after all this ME:A thing i started to dig why this video game company it's so famous, so i saw that it made a lot of WRPGs, some Star Wars RPG games, a Sonic game too and now i'm seeing some fans disapointing here and there about their last release.

Then I found that their slogan said: Rich Stories, Unforgettable Characters, And Vast Worlds. So i'm reaaaally curious about enter their world. So the question is:

Which game is the ONE?
As a note, I'm more of a jrpg player than wrpg.

Banned
Knights of the Old Republic or Mass Effect trilogy.

Dragon Age 1 is a bit more old school dungeons and dragons.

BumRush

KotOR is a truly amazing game. All of mass effect 1-3 are amazing, and scratch an itch that is sirpringly rarely scratch by other developers (space RPGs)

Dragon Age: Origins.

It's not a perfect game by any means, but it probably has the best "BioWare atmosphere" out of anything they released from the 360 onwards.

Play MDK2 and the Baldur's Gate games, and maybe Knights of the Old Republic 1, then you're done, the rest aren't going to compete and be worth your time.

Eolz

The old ones.
Baldur's Gate 1&2, NWN and KOTOR (both have even better sequels from Obsidian) are great. Mass Effect 1 and 2 are great. Dragon Age 1 is great.
Others are more questionable.

Also not an RPG, but MDK2 is great too.

edit: "to get into" is vague, depends on your tastes and what you're looking for. Don't start by a sequel obviously.

Harmen

KOTOR. I played it the first time during the PS3 generation and once you get used to the aged graphics it is a fantastic Star Wars adventure full of memorable worlds, characters, and storybeats.

After that, you can go with either ME or DA:Origins I think. Personally I think ME is worth your time, the whole trilogy. The third got a lot of flack for it's plot, but with the Leviathan DLC, the Citadel DLC, and the extra character DLC the game is fantastic in my opinion.

Kotor, Jade Empire or BG2 - you can safely skip everything else. You could also play ME1 if you don't mind leaving trilogy unfinished.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Baldurs Gate 2 was BioWare's best game. But that game isn't for everyone and it's not what modern day BioWare really does. Probably be better to go with Mass Effect 1-3.

Starting with Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood is a great way to experience the high quality graphics, music and polish that define the Bioware Experience.

Melchiah

As a newer fan, I'd recommend Mass Effect trilogy for sci-fi, and Dragon Age: Inquisition for fantasy. I tried playing DA: Origins afterwards, but just couldn't due to how outdated it looked and played.

EDIT: If you're going to play the trilogy, it's recommended to get Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC for ME2, and Leviathan and Citadel for ME3. The updated ending with Citadel makes the much-maligned original ending better.

250px-The_Dark_Brotherhood.jpg

It's probably the worst Sonic game made in the past decade

Z..

Baldur's Gate 2. Modern Bioware doesn't even compare.

Mass Effect Trilogy is their best modern release, but nowhere near as good.

BouncyFrag

If you go with Mass Effect be sure to listen to the codex entries for the GOAT narrator voice and quality world building.

Taruranto

BG2:SoA is the best game "they" did (but we may as well been talking about another company), ME1 is kinda decent, but the sequels don't live up to it and the promises it set, so it's useless to play it today.

Everything else is either bad or mediocre.

Highly recommend Mass Effect 1 for starters. Baldur's Gate 2 is great but harder to get into. I wouldn't recommend it for someone just starting to explore Bioware's catalog.

Baldur's Gate 2 is perhaps their magnum opus, but as you describe yourself more of a JRPG player I think the first Knights of the Old Republic would be the smoothest transition.

Top Bottom