• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best LTTP Game you played in 2015?

Fbh

Not sure if it counts but:

1Gt90v1.gif

Got it when it launched on Ps4 which was still like 10 months after it released on PC and WiiU.

Just awesome game. Great music, tight controls and great level desig. It's obviously inspired by several classics from the 8-bit era but with a unique style and personality that makes it stand as its own thing rather than wanting to be the next Megaman or Castlevania

Sotha_Sil

Only two LTTP games played this year, TLOU:R and Valiant Hearts.

Valiant Hearts is my pick. Great art direction, told a nice little story, and it made for a nice change of pace from all the action-centric games I've played lately.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Definitely Virtue's Last Reward. Such an enjoyable experience.

I think you're like the third person to mention playing VLR this year. Such an awesome game, you only have a wait a few
probably 12
more months than the sequel!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Metroid Prime, and now I consider it the best 3D game of all time.

Yeah. I don't even like the FPS genre - but I would call Metroid Prime one of the best of all time. I don't understand how people not play this game and play COD or other modern military shooters.

It'd be great to see an HD Remix of the game, or a sequel

Weiss

Banned
Seiken Densetsu 3

seiken-densetsu-3-super-nintendo-snes-00a.jpg

One of Square's greatest games from the SNES era and stands tall with the likes of Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6.

Arx Fatalis is still getting updates since the source code was released 5 years ago. I wish games were made with this type of, "fuck casuals", "we're gonna make what we wanna make" mentality on this scale with this quality of design, world building, storytelling and atmosphere.

I'm running the excellent mod Arx Libertatis which has all the interested Arx open source devs contributing. So the engine has been modernized and it's got great widescreen. I've also managed to use xpadder to get a really great control scheme going for use with an xbox 360 controller.

It has become one of my top 5 greatest games of all-time. Go Arkane Studios.

New Vegas, probably my favorite RPG ever. Also played through TLOU for the first time, ps4 version and am still confused as to how it has such glowing impressions.

Streets of Rage 2 or Beyond Good & Evil. Got the former on a collection early this year, double dipped several months later on the 3D remaster. edit: Oh, Nier.
Honorable mentions: Kirby Superstar (always thought the NES game was the only outstanding traditional entry in the series, but no), Silent Hill (still ridiculously scary), Final Fantasy VII

latest

Probably one of the Firebrand trilogy (Gargoyles Quest 1 & 2, Demon's Crest)
I'm thinking GQ2 in particular because it's already leapt up in my personal favourite NES games while Demon's Crest has stiffer competition in the 16 bit generation.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Shin_Megami_Tensei_-_Digital_Devil_Saga_Coverart.png

Some of the bosses were tough. Fun challenge and engaging story that kept me going. The art design and music were top notch. The greater importance placed on learning abilities over grinding stats is hugely beneficial to the game design, and using Nocturne's turn-based battle system as a template is the very best thing they could have done.

I really struggle to find many flaws with this title. Maybe one would be that apparently to unlock everything for the sequel, you have to play through it multiple times. For a 30+ hour jrpg that is a dumb proposition unless you have lots of free time.

Producer

played Mario Kart 7 on a friends 3ds the other day and it was fun. Will probably pick it up during the black friday sale.

Xbro

Persona 4/Golden

Persona 3 FES/Portable

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

Earthbound

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Mother 3

Trauma Center: Second Opinion

Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2

Trauma Center: New Blood

Trauma Team

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Probably between Threads of Fate, Emerald Dragon, Quackshot starring Donald Duck, and Suikoden Tierkreis.

mrmickfran

It's a tie between Persona 4 Golden, Danganronpa 2, and Ocarina of Time for me.

Other notable titles:
Danganronpa
Virtue's Last Reward
Majora's Mask
Pikmin 3

Dark Souls, I am really glad I gave it a chance after putting it away for a couple of months.

2nd place would be The Evil Within. I knew I was going to like it just from watching videos. Sad, that opinions are divided on the game.

Klonoa, Fragile Dreams, Snatcher, Earthbound, Bravely Default, Lunar Silver Star, Resident Evil Revelations 2

Probably a ton more, i've played so many older games this year but my absolute favourite is probably Earthbound, though I did play it on virtual console before hand so I suppose it really goes to Lunar.

BioShock, easily. I played a few others, too, including BioShock 2, BioShock Infinite, Dark Souls II, Shadow of the Colossus, Dragon's Dogma, but the original BioShock takes all the cake.

Alexm92

I cant pick one so ill just name some of the most memorable:

In no particular order

MGS1
MGS2
Half of MGS3 (Theres some kind of bug in the emulator version where a cutscene wouldn't trigger so I couldnt progress. So sick..I was building up to MGS5 but I dont know if ill ever play it now)
Alan Wake
Fallout New Vegas
Resident Evil: Revelations
Dark Souls

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I cant pick one so ill just name some of the most memorable:

In no particular order

MGS1
MGS2
Half of MGS3 (Theres some kind of bug in the emulator version where a cutscene wouldn't trigger so I couldnt progress. So sick..I was building up to MGS5 but I dont know if ill ever play it now)
Alan Wake
Fallout New Vegas
Resident Evil: Revelations
Dark Souls

Play through the MGS1 and MGS2 vr mission expansion packs if you want to mess around with them some more. Good fun to be had. Hopefully you find a way to play MGS3 eventually.

Mupod

Thunder Force 4. I picked it up at a yard sale while hunting for Genesis games. It holds up amazingly well and has an incredible soundtrack. The game just has that 'magic' you can't explain. It's a challenge but not frustrating, and it's full of cool moments. Wish I'd played this as a kid.

Dead Space 1. When I fully upgraded the damage on the plasma cutter that thing just started tearing through goddamn near everything. It was a thing of beauty.

Bumhead

Banned
Titanfall.

Only bought an Xbox this year and Titanfall has been one of the most fun experiences I've had all year. Absolutely loved it.

I played through Virtue's Last Reward earlier this year and it was an amazing experience. Kept me up burning the midnight oil to find out wtf would happen next. Fun characters and damn fascinating story. I will admit that I used a guide for some of the puzzles when things started to drag and I wanted to reach the next story beat. It reminds me of the excitement when I was LTTP on LOST and marathoned the heck out of the show.

bronk

Banned
FFX and wow has it been amazing. Ive pretty much played all the Final Fantasy games. For some reason never touched this one cause my cousin and brother said it was only ok. Well i completely disagree with them cause i love it. I like the story the gameplay the music glad i got to finally experience it. Playing on ps4. FFVI is my all time favorite though.

animax

Final Fantasy X-2

I legitimately enjoyed this game so much that I'm considering retiring from gaming with this as my swan-song! So enjoyable, and the BEST post-game of any rpg I've ever played (I've just beaten all of the Super-bosses).

ar4757

Now that I think about it, I went hard in 2015 - so far. Ocarina of Time, Fire Emblem Awakening, M&L Dream Team. I suppose I was prepping for their sequels.

Easily the best game I've played in 2015 however was The World Ends With You. I've heard about it for at least five years, but never had even caught a glimpse of gameplay or media at all until this year. Amazing soundtrack and overall aesthetic, they really don't make em like this anymore

Still plan on tackling a few more old games in my backlog before the year's end, but currently these two are the standouts from games that I've played through:

Outland on PS3. Picked it up via PS+ IGC back in 2012 but never got around to playing it until this year. Great platformer with that Housemarque touch, especially some of the boss fights.

muramasa_rebirth_51964.jpg

Muramasa Rebirth on Vita. Technically not finished with it since I only completed my first playthrough with Momohime last night but yooooooooooooooooooo this game is aces. The replayability built into this game, and all its DLC, is staggering but I look forward to going through every inch of it.

Alexm92

Play through the MGS1 and MGS2 vr mission expansion packs if you want to mess around with them some more. Good fun to be had. Hopefully you find a way to play MGS3 eventually.

Thanks for the tip. Ill add them to the backlog. Yea hopefully. Im thinking I might just play Ground Zero and then 5. The only way ill get to play 3 and 4 is if I buy a PS3 but i dont think ill go to that much trouble.

Top Bottom