• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best LTTP Game you played in 2015?

daxy

I've been looking for this since foreeeeever. Finally got it two months ago.

I love it. Shina became my main instantly.

5AMaejv.jpg

The intro for this game is rad af. Wish I still had my copy.

Laputa_94

A few things come to mind: metroid prime, smt Nocturne, dk tropical freeze, fire emblem (gba), and Catherine to name a few. One of the pros with being a little younger is that I have a backlog of so many great games.

Far Cry 4 and Windwaker HD are the two that stand out to me.

It's strange that I haven't really delved into my backlog at all this year. I think that just means there have a been a ton of good games coming out.

This game was absolutely amazing. I had a blast playing it with my sisters, and we even completed the entire thing! Beat every level with each character, collected all the golden flags and green stars and we all loved every single second. Wonderful soundtrack, beautiful graphics, tight controls, and a huge variety of fun levels. I easily give this game a 10/10.

I'm also going through the Kingdom Hearts series again and loving every bit, but I had played these years ago so I don't count them.

This game was absolutely amazing. I had a blast playing it with my sisters, and we even completed the entire thing! Beat every level with each character, collected all the golden flags and green stars and we all loved every single second. Wonderful soundtrack, beautiful graphics, tight controls, and a huge variety of fun levels. I easily give this game a 10/10.

I'm also going through the Kingdom Hearts series again and loving every bit, but I had played these years ago so I don't count them.

Even Champion's Road?

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Bayonetta 2, which is a pretty lame answer considering it came out last year.

Star Wars: Dark Forces was good too. Can't get into the second one for whatever reason.

Pokemon Black 2

Pokemon White was the only Pokemon game I couldn't finish. I hated it, I hated the Pokemon, I thought the game was awful and a terrible path for the series to take. It felt like a bad copycat Pokemon game from the late 90s. For some reason I bought Black 2 at release and never opened it, until a few weeks ago when I got the urge for a new Pokemon game and remembered this was in a box in my attic, still sealed.

Black 2 alleviated my issues with the game (a lack of old Pokemon and familiarity) and had a nice bit of difficulty to it that allowed me to move through the new Pokemon at my own pace, without them being forced on me. I ended up at the end of the game with half fifth gen Pokemon and half old Pokemon, and I think that felt like a nice balance, instead of going all the way new, which I disliked a lot.

It actually gave me a new appreciation of the fifth gen Pokemon and the world around it. This game doesn't mess around with pointless story aspects (while still having a nice story), and the difficulty always keeps you on your toes. I actually had to grind at one point. Grind in a Pokemon game! I was horribly under leveled for the Water gym and cheesed to win (Confuse Ray + Thunder Wave) and then got utterly crushed on the road to the next part of the game.

Black 2 is now almost my favorite Pokemon game, despite my initial hate of Gen 5.

I have done so many lttp games this year.

The two that stand out most are:

Dragon Age Origins

The entire Uncharted Trilogy

Really different games that fulfil different needs, so its hard to choose between them. If I had to pick one it would be Dragon Age: rick memorable world, fun battle system and party management and just generally a great rpg. Uncharted is a more relaxing couch gaming, thing and I am much more likely to pick up the next uncharted game (prob day 1) than embark on another dragon age game (too daunting!).

Paltheos

I want to say Grandia 2, but that's cheating.

I'll go with Tales of Graces F then. The story may be butt, but the game systems and battle mechanics are so fun I don't care.

Gotta look over what I've played this year to say for sure though.

woopWOOP

Probably Don't Starve Together. Played it a ton with an old school buddy of mine just two months ago. Restarted about 5-6 times and checked out different mods. Decided we quit for now until the new official expansion shows up for the singleplayer and which'll most likely get modded into DST too.

I've also recently started playing Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and that's been fun, a lot more fun than X&Y.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Quite enjoyed Metal Gear MSX. Some sections brought back memories of the bastardized NES game I played in the 80's, but on the whole it was a far more well-rounded experience than I had expected. Some quibbled with checkpoints and backtracking(with a bit of frustrating item swapping), but I expected much worse out of giving it a shot in 2015. One day I'll play the sequel.

Icewind Dale 1. Still brilliant. Never finished this game back at launch despite having done so for most other Infinity Engine titles, and I finally put it this to bed in my backlog. Adored it completely as it mostly held up extremely well. Some UI quibbles abound, but the combat scenarios I found far superior to the BG titles as enemy placement and variety was well planned. The art and varied locations you visit were also stunning. Ultimately a linear quest with little in the way of choice or expression in dialogue(which BG certainly amplified), but for as a rough and rugged combat-focused quest, it was wonderful. Music was also a highlight.

Mario 3D world; DKCTF; NSMB U Finished all three, though not quite 100%. Enjoyed all three, and possibly at some point I will return off and on with each to try and go for full savefile completion.

PaulBizkit

Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid and Danganronpa by very far.

CT:
It's the best rpg ever, everything is a 10/10.
snes emulator

SM:
Didn't use a guide at all. This game's atmosphere is amazing. It took me six hours to beat.
snes emulator

DR:
Best story and characters i've seen in a long while. It sucks that I have to buy a fucking vita to play the second one and Another Episode...
psp

Probably Persona 4 Golden, although I've not finished it yet.
Out of games I've finished, it'd be between Klonoa and Dark Souls.

ryseing

AC Rogue.

It's AC 4.5, but with the secret best protagonist in the entire series. Shay is an incredibly well written character with clear motivations. The main missions don't have a ton of bloat and I quite enjoyed the side stuff. Rogue is the direction that AC needs to go in- streamlined but with enough optional content to make the player feel like they got $60 worth of value.

Dizzy-4U

Fun times but terrible balance
The phoenix character and mole character seemed OP as all fuck back then
Yeah, probably. I don't mind unbalanced games though. If they are fun to play, it's fine by me.

The intro for this game is rad af. Wish I still had my copy.
A lot of anime cutscenes in this game, which was a nice surprise. It kinda brought me back to the psx days.

Makes me wanna listen to My Console - Eiffel 65
Just looked it up on youtube. The hell was that?

pantsmith

Was really excited to finally play Super Time Force when it came out on PS4, and then even more excited to find out how great it was!

The core mechanic is one of those things that, like Portal, once your mind can wrap around it suddenly you are looking at puzzles and gameplay in fascinating new ways. The above looks like complete madness, and it is, but now totally makes sense to me.

Also the writing is delightful.

Really great mix of puzzles + platforming, despite looking like a bullet hell game. Highly recommended.

HeroOfTime

Neo Member
It has been a good year:

Paper Mario: The thousand year door (one of the most memorable)
Prinny 2 (a good lot of fun and hard as f*ck)
Persona 4 Golden (The Most Memorable. I loved everything about it)
Patapon 3 (Awesome beats and awesome gameplay/class customization)
Fez (Quite good, but found it too easy/short)
Shin Megami Tensei IV (Damn it's hard, but really good overall)
PullBox (fun game with smart gameplay)
Wonderful 101 (awesome game with a lot of funny moments)
The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword (First i hated it. Motion controls sucked. Then i mastered it. It is awesome, i loved that game)
EarthBound (Awesome setting, interesting mechanics and a touch of lightheartedness thats just brilliant)
Super Meat Boy (Really good level design, really strong plataformer)
Kirby's Adventure (I liked it, fun and adorable. Kirby!)
Super Mario Sunshine (overall, i kinda hated it. Camera has some really huge flaws and the controls are a bit wierd. And f*ck that "take yoshi on boat" mission. Love, Mario 64)

Marjar

Banned
I played through the entirety of the Metal Gear Solid series which was quite the experience.

Metal Gear Solid 2 especially. Definitely the peak of the series.

Alx

Star Wars Kinect

I skipped it back when it released, both because I focused on other games and because I thought the loading times in the demo were annoying (they still are).
It's surprisingly good though, and very ambitious. The different gameplay elements are quite polished, and the amount of content and gameplay diversity in the game is really surprising by today's standards.
The weakest point of the gameplay might be the force gestures, it's hard to control floating objects with them. The lightsaber controls in the story missions are so-so, since they just react to generic motions, but the association with dodges, jumps and kicks makes a satisfying combat system in general.
Pod racing is great, really, does everything you'd expect from it. Turn-based duels are ok at low level, they can be interesting with a faster pace on higher difficulties, but I'm not there yet.
The monster smashing stuff is ok, but mindless. I can see kids having fun with it.
And the dancing game is hilarious. The fans may be bitter, but the song lyrics and move names ("the trash compactor", "the mind trick",...) are all very funny and creative.

The Adventure of Little Ralph - an action/platform masterpiece with beautiful pixel art and a great scoring system that can keep you coming back. The only downside is that they re-use a certain gimmick a little too often for my liking, but it doesn't really hurt the game.

Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin is right behind it.

Demon's Souls. Like many before me, I tried to get into the game and failed. With Bloodborne imminent I decided to give it one last go and, at last, everything fell into place. Pushed straight through to the end and then finished Bloodborne right afterward.

Tuck

Demons souls, then dark souls.

I had heard demons souls was brutally hard so I never played it. But it was on sale for 5 bucks, so why not try?

It was unbelievable. So much fun. Such an amazing adventure. Jumped into dark souls immediately after.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
I played 999, VLR, danganronpa THH, persona 3 fes and 4 golden, one after another, i have
never played such good sequence of games.
Man, what a ride.

Dark Souls/Dark Souls 2. I mostly quit console gaming in 2010 so never got around to playing them until I got back my old 360 this year. Incredible experiences, both of them.

Top Bottom