• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best LTTP Game you played in 2015?

Mexen

Yeah, probably. I don't mind unbalanced games though. If they are fun to play, it's fine by me.

A lot of anime cutscenes in this game, which was a nice surprise. It kinda brought me back to the psx days.

Just looked it up on youtube. The hell was that?

One of the best songs ever!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
resident_evil_2_claire_and_leon_by_evanodinson-d6uztty.jpg

soooo fucking good. I wish I could play these games for the first time again so badly. now sometimes I'll just casually boot up RE2 and see how far I can get before dying. with 3 as well. I think I'm pretty close to a no death run for 3.

Not sure if it counts but:

1Gt90v1.gif

Got it when it launched on Ps4 which was still like 10 months after it released on PC and WiiU.

Just awesome game. Great music, tight controls and great level desig. It's obviously inspired by several classics from the 8-bit era but with a unique style and personality that makes it stand as its own thing rather than wanting to be the next Megaman or Castlevania

This.

Retroactively made this my 2014 GOTY.

Sölf

I am torn between two (well, actually 3) games. I bought a PS Vita roughly one month ago. Played Persona 4 Golden and well as both Danganronpa titles (haven't played Another Episode yet). I am honestly not sure which of those 3 was the best, but I am glad I played all of them now. So damn good.

I have a few that I have played so I'll list those below.

256px-BatenKaitosCover.jpg

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean (GCN)

Randomly picked this up when I found it for like $20 at Vintage Stock earlier this year or last year and so far, the game is pretty good. I had to get used to the battle system since it's card based, but I could see where deck building gives so there's depth to it. I just have to settle in to the game and go through it at some point. It's definitely interesting so far so I'll get to it eventually.

250px-Xenogears_box.jpg

Xenogears (PS1/PSN)

I've gotten a little amount of time into the game so far. I really love the game so far. The combat system is pretty good to me with the deathblows and stuff. The music is great. The characters so far are pretty interesting and the story intrigues me a little. I'm going to see if I can get this beat by the end of the year, but we'll see if that happens. Overall, I'll say it's one of the best games I've played this year so far and we'll see if I like it this much when the year ends.

250px-GBA_Fire_Emblem_Box.jpg

Fire Emblem (GBA/Wii U VC)

This game is probably one of my favorite SRPGs, right up there with Path of Radiance. I played part of the prologue story when I was really young, so I experienced some of the game beforehand. The characters are great with the storytelling being really good. The prologue type story with Lyn is probably my favorite story told in the Fire Emblem series. Just well done. I think the overall cast is one of the better of the Fire Emblems that I have played, right behind Path of Radiance. Just a really great game and definitely a game to check out. A great place to get into the series if you want to too with its tutorial-like prologue.

Shin_Megami_Tensei_-_Digital_Devil_Saga_Coverart.png

Some of the bosses were tough. Fun challenge and engaging story that kept me going. The art design and music were top notch. The greater importance placed on learning abilities over grinding stats is hugely beneficial to the game design, and using Nocturne's turn-based battle system as a template is the very best thing they could have done.

I really struggle to find many flaws with this title. Maybe one would be that apparently to unlock everything for the sequel, you have to play through it multiple times. For a 30+ hour jrpg that is a dumb proposition unless you have lots of free time.

Funny enough, this is also my favorite LTTP this year. I enjoyed running around the world, and the soundtrack was fantastic. I think as an RPG it's the perfect length for someone who doesn't have time to put 100+ hours into a game. My biggest complaints are the design of the final dungeon and the fact that all the bonus content takes place in the same sewer system. Have you played part 2 yet?

Mindlog

I am enjoying Dragon Age: Inquisition WAY MORE than I was lead yo believe I would.
The difference is substantial especially given how many games have been a complete disappointment as of late.

Grim Fandango. Puzzles were too classic-adventure-game dense for me to do anything other than follow guides on how to complete them but the story, characters, art direction, and setting were more than enough to make it worth my time. Probably Schafer's finest work.

Radnom

I played and really, really enjoyed Dragon Quest V for the DS. So much so that before I was finished, I'd also ordered IV, VI, VIII, IX and Heroes. But I think I'll not play them all in a row for fear of getting burnt out.

d00d3n

Probably Rust, but it may not be the best example due to constant updates. I wrote some impressions in another thread:
The survival genre on PC is one of the most exciting fields when it comes to gameplay innovation imo. The most important survival game in the last couple of years is probably the online innovator Rust. I had to stop playing Rust, because it was a massive time sink and the psychological stress level was too high, but I can't deny that the idea behind the game is brilliant and innovative.

The paranoia when you try to hide your base from other people, the fear when you are discovered, and the attachment you start to feel to your protective walls are some of the strongest emotions I have ever experienced in a game. The lack of a protected despawn state or a protected inventory made the game so intense ... I can really understand all those Russian kids who seem to spend their youth griefing people in Rust, DayZ and Ark. Other genres can't compete with the emotional attachment and the thrill level that online survival can deliver.

Half-Life 2 Episodes 1 and 2. Had those sitting on my Steam list for years. Well worth it. Now whenever Half-Life 3 gets announced, I can't say "oh shit, I'm still behind on that series!"

redcrayon

I've had a good year for older games.

Growlanser IV
Suikoden
Suikoden II
Arc the Lad
Arc the Lad II
Castlevania IV

I really enjoyed them all. If I had to pick one, it's probably Arc the Lad II, but I loved every minute of all of them.

BiggNife

I replayed the classic Mega Man series this year, guess what. The boss rush is ALWAYS horse shit. I save state the hell out of Mega Man games, because boss rush is bullshit. Only Shovel Knight was a good boss rush, because you get unlimited retries and its fast paced.
The boss rush in X4 is pretty okay, actually - you get a chance to heal between fights so it's not too bad.

The final boss though...whoof. Three forms and only a small health recovery in between. I've heard you can cheese through it with Zero pretty easily, but with X it was a real chore, even with all of the armor pieces and and like 6 or 7 health upgrades. Part of it just comes down to hoping you get good attack patterns.

Papu_Kweh

I've been meaning to play Folklore and NieR ever since I've got a PS3, finally made it this year, heh.
Loved the story for both, but NieR edges out on that front (and that soundrack!). Even the gameplay, which people seem to hate, was pretty damn enjoyable to me (soul-pulling in Folklore was amazing, and NieR's bosses were really cool)

Other lttp games I've enjoyed thanks to PS Plus/coming out on PS systems were Super Meat Boy, Super Time Force Ultra (just pure, crazy fun), Broken Age, Bastion (loved it and Transistor, really pumped for Super Giant Games' next game) and Yakuza 4 (and ready for 5 later this year)

Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors
Virtue's Last Reward
Nier

Can't pick the best, but it was a fantastic year for me.

Great thread idea. Mostly it's making me realize how many games I've put some time into (45+ hours into P4G and then stopped?!) without completing them. God damn my inability to stay focused on the same game to the end.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Radiant Historia.
But i also want to play Majoras Mask and Terranigma. It is time, after too many years of waiting :)

Hey I did Radiant Historia too this year for the first time. I enjoyed it, but wasn't a HUGE fan. The music was repetitive and the story was interesting, but ultimately the payoff wasn't there for me.

The combat system was perfect though, really would like to see it adapted elsewhere.

MrBadger

DK_Country_2.jpg

I used to have it on GBA years ago, but I wouldn't count that. I got a SNES last year some time, and I've just been playing through its library. I never cared for 2 much before, but playing it properly all the way through completely changed my mind. Fantastic game.

balohna

Tomb Raider 2013 is much better than I expected, almost wish I didn't skip it back then. But hard to argue with the Xbox One version basically for free (GWG).

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
DK_Country_2.jpg

I used to have it on GBA years ago, but I wouldn't count that. I got a SNES last year some time, and I've just been playing through its library. I never cared for 2 much before, but playing it properly all the way through completely changed my mind. Fantastic game.

I'm a crazy person, I didn't like it. Too many stage gimmicks on every level. Tropical Freeze and Returns blow it out of the water to me.

I understand why its beloved, but I didn't.

Celegus

Played Transistor when it was free on PS+ this year and WOW I loved everything about it. The consensus seemed to be that it was not nearly as good as Bastion, but I liked it just as much.

MrBadger

I'm a crazy person, I didn't like it. Too many stage gimmicks on every level. Tropical Freeze and Returns blow it out of the water to me.

I understand why its beloved, but I didn't.

A lot of the stage gimmicks were a contributing factor to why I enjoyed it. Some of them were super annoying like the wind level and the honey, but the animal buddies were all fun and I enjoyed a lot of the game's ideas like the levels with the seal that changes the water. Only huge complaint I have is how you have to be resourceful with coins. Saving in a game shouldn't be something you have to go out of your way to do. Still, it's no Crash Bandicoot

I'll agree that Tropical Freeze is indeed the best game in the series by far, but of course it would be going by the time frame and the power behind it

Krafter

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.
Had played it twice before, both times my save games bugged out, preventing further progress. I gave it one last try before I installed Windows 10, and third time's the charm, complete playthrough with no issues. Troika goes out on top, utterly brilliant game.

Dragon Quest V was a close 2nd, Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together (which I am finishing up this week) would be 3rd.

Fudo Myo

Prince of Persia 2003. Control and camera quibbles aside, it became one of my top games of all time. Man, it must have been mind blowing when it first came out. So full of charm and the mechanics were fantastic. It felt greater than the sum of its parts. It was very fiddly to get working on PC with a controller, but it still looked great in 1080p, the art style aged well.

I'm currently playing a rogue-like on Wii I picked up this weekend for 3 bucks called Baroque. I'm completely addicted to it. All that Binding of Isaac practice has paid off. The game is completely mental, I love the crazy character design -- a great game.

51Vr8WgykjL._AC_UL320_SR228,320_.jpg

Edit: Oh, I forgot, I just beat Ico. Wanted to see what the fuss was about. I absolutely adored it, what a fantastic world. The massive castle very much reminded me of a souls game. I will dip into Shadow of the Colossus at some point, maybe next year.

TheAssist

Persona 4.

Good game and interesting premise. But the dungeon design and amount of grind you have to do is atrocious. Is this a typical criticism for the game or do people just ignore that part?
Also the boss fights are very boring.

But I'm now actually looking forward to P5

Tetris DS
Dark Souls & Dark Souls II
Mario and Luigi Dream Team
Yakuza 2
Wonderful 101

I'm still a way behind on games, but this year for me hasn't been to shabby.

Top Bottom