• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Mario Kart game?

Favorite Mario Kart?

• Super Mario Kart

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Mario Kart 64

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • Mario Kart Super Circuit

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Mario Kart Double Dash

Votes: 15 8.8%
  • Mario Kart DS

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Mario Kart Arcade GP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mario Kart Arcade GP 2

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Mario Kart Wii

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Mario Kart 7

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Mario Kart Arcade GP DX

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Mario Kart 8/Deluxe

Votes: 80 46.8%
  • Mario Kart Tour (lol)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Synless

It’s Mario Kart 8, however I really liked the concept of double dash. I really liked the smash bros style character specific attacks.

Ryllix_

Super Mario Kart for me, but it is purely for nostalgia reasons. I play it all the time to this day, but I'm sure mario kart 8 and mario kart 64 are better games without the nostalgia glasses.

Elysion

Banned
MK8

I really wonder how they‘re gonna try to follow up on that. What could they possibly do to make MK9 feel fresh and exciting? A track editor maybe? Asynchronous gameplay, where some players follow the track from a birds-eye view and throw obstacles or items onto the road? A proper story mode like Crash Team Racing? Open world like Forza Horizon lol?

EruditeHobo

8 is I'm sure by far the most complete game.

But Mario Kart 64 is what made the series what it is, is the most innovative, the most groundbreaking, and for me that makes it bar-none the "best".

tkscz

It was difficult choosing between DS and Double Dash but Double Dash beats it out for maps. DS has good maps but DS low maps are just lower than Double Dashes where Double Dash maps have either been copied or ported more often. Even its simplest maps like Luigi's race way hold up better than DS' simplest maps for me. Plus DD had strategy not with just picking karts but also character combinations thanks to each character and their partner getting a specific special. Daisy/Peach with Yoshi/Birdo was such a good combo. Plus battle mode on DS I believe used Wii's style of battle mode where no one got eliminated, just lost points. But I also enjoyed the Battle mode maps in DD more too.

Camreezie

MK8 Deluxe is easily the best. Until 8 came around it was Double Dash for me. I also loved Diddy Kong Racing and desperately would love a return or remaster

E-Cat

I remember only being challenged by the original game. But I guess that's not really the point of Mario Kart.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Tie between MK8 and Double Dash.

God Nintendo is just so fucking dumb. Release DD on the Switch. Lazy fucks, too busy forcing people to buy games they've already bought 10x over.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Revisiting this since I have been playing a lot of MK7 online recently, and there's still quite a lot of people playing online. In my opinion, it's still the best Mario Kart and the large online community in late 2023 is evidence of that.

Muffdraul

I loved the SNES original and MK64 and then after that it seemed like one mediocre rehash after another. Some were better than others, but none measured up to the first two. I kept buying them and I'd play them for a day or two and then forget all about them. I remember when MK8 was first unveiled, I barely even looked at the previews, it was on track to be the first Mario Kart game I just skipped entirely. But then I watched the Nintendo Direct about a month before it came out, and oooohhhhh baby. I've put probably 10 times the amount of hours into MK8 than I put into MK1 and 64 combined. MK8 is THE KING

Top Bottom