• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Nintendo 64 Game

What is the best N64 Game?

• Super Mario 64

Votes: 50 30.9%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Votes: 61 37.7%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Votes: 13 8.0%
  • Mario Kart 64

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Mario Party 64

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yoshi's Story

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Banjo Kazooie

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Banjo Tooie

• Kirby

• Paper Mario 64

• Golden Eye 007

Votes: 14 8.6%
  • Perfect Dark

Votes: 10 6.2%
  • Lylat Wars

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Diddy Kong Racing

• Donkey Kong 64

• Total voters

Rikoi

I can't join the poll but I'll vote for golden eye, I spent so many hours on that game exploring every bit of it and unlocking everything. Even though I loved many of those games so it's not an easy choice.

JimiNutz

Banned
Goldeneye or Perfect Dark for me.

My friends and I spent a lot of time in local MP with those games. Perfect Dark is overall the slightly better game so I voted for that although we probably put more time into Goldeneye.

Lylat Wars/Star Fox 64 & Didddy Kong Racing had fun MP too!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Pretty much Mario or Zelda. I voted Zelda.

Nothing will ever compare to that first week I went through Mario though and discovering 3D gaming for the first time. It was the best experience I'd had in gaming ... until Zelda came out and topped it.

JordanN

Banned
Some of those games are just so hard to go back to, because the frame rates are really really rough. Or the N64 controller would have killed your hands trying to play them (*cough* Mario Party).

Only exception might be Ocarina of time, just because it's more puzzle based and generally has a slower pace.

Dissenting opinion but I want to go with Pokemon Stadium 2.

The visuals are much more easier on the eyes thanks to the cartoon style, and it also had those mini-games which I thought were a lot of fun.

lTZspyW.gif

Last edited:

Romulus

Ocarina of Time.

Diddy Kong Racing is #2, and aged well too. I'm not even a Kart racing fan either. So surprised when I hear N64 fans that never played it.

Collin

Banned
title said best, your post asks favorite. i would answer differently for both questions, the best n64 game is ocarina of time but my personal favorite is majora’s mask.

Joe T.

It would have been Ocarina of Time, but multiplayer was too much fun with friends and family to give it to a single player game. Goldeneye just barely won out over Perfect Dark (though I loved those simulants/bots).

The N64 is probably my least favorite console i have ever owned, there's less than a handful of video games on it that i have enjoyed. I think Super Mario 64 is probably my favorite. I generally really like the Mario franchise, and Super Mario 64 did not disappoint me. Now that i've thought about it, i should replay the entire main series one of these days.

rubenburgt

I love Super Mario 64, and I know it was pretty groundbreaking back then, but there is only 1 game on this list that left a massive impact on me and made me a fan to the series. Zelda Ocarina Of Time.

Gifmaker

My vote goes to Ocarina of Time, my favorite game ever. Majora's Mask is a very close second, though. No game ever came close to what those two meant to me in my childhood. Mario 64 is also a possible contender and still a joy to play; interestingly, while I loved Donkey Kong 64 a lot back in the days, I replayed it on the Wii U and was surprised to find that it doesn't really hold up today at all. It's not only that it is such a collectathon, but more that its controls are tanky and so extremely slow. It's not too fun to play anymore.

For fans of Goldeneye 64: there's a patch that works with the 1964 emulator that gives the game full mouse control. Replayed it like that last year and it was a blast.

Last edited:

nkarafo

A best games N64 thread? Better post this before the "Goldeneye's controls haven't aged well" ones show up:

This is the correct way of holding the controller in both Goldeneye and PD (and most other N64 FPS games frankly), if you want a scheme similar to the standard modern one. And don't forget to change the control option to "1.2 Solitare".

eclTyCW.jpg

Anyway, my vote went for Majora's Mask since i started to love it more than OOT over the years.

Last edited:

stranno

Winback is my favorite, the first third person cover shooter of all time, pretty fine job from Omega Force.

The PS2 remaster is certainly better tho.

Manji Uzuki

Objectively I think is Super Mario 64, but I think that Mario Kart 64 is the one I had more fun with, so my vote to that one :messenger_grinning:

nkarafo

Space Station Silicon Valley
Such a great game with so many good ideas. I wish there was a modern take on it.

I remember being impressed by the in-game speakers that were scattered in the levels and how the game music was coming out of them. The way the music would sound louder if you were near or how you could mute it by destroying them. Sort of 4th wall breaking but not really, the music could just as well exist in the game's world like that.

shubik

The list is incomplete without Conkers bad fur day! This game was ahead of its time and is still my fav. rareware game ever

Last edited:
title said best, your post asks favorite. i would answer differently for both questions, the best n64 game is ocarina of time but my personal favorite is majora’s mask.

I don't understand this, how can OOT be the best but Majora Mask be your favorite? Are you saying your opinion doesn't matter, but other subjective opinions do? It's true that OOT was hyped up as the best by many journalists, but so was TLOU2 and that game suck balls.

I'm currently playing Majora Mask so I have no nostalgia goggles, and I played OOT a few years back. I remember not liking OOT, it was plain, bland, dull and boring gameplay and puzzles, not to mention it recycles the same old story of princess Zelda need rescuing from Ganon, and Link needs the master sword and triforce yada yada.... what do people see in this game? Oh it's the first 3D Zelda whoppee doo! And then there's that fucking annoying fairy! Hey! Hey! Heeeeyyy! STFU!!!

Majora Mask fixes everything, some dude in here called it a time gimmick, I thought it was one of the most original fresh ideas in gaming history! It's totally underrated, It's like Groundhog Day but with 3 days instead of one! What a useful way to use the ocarina, which btw had many great uses in this game. I have not come across such an original concept like this in a game since FF13 lighting returns, which btw they butchered the concept.

Also we finally get a fresh new story and got rid of that lame ass Zelda, and replace her with with some cute sisters from a ranch and other likable characters. Also the story was kinda creepy, with the impending doom creepy up behind you. The puzzles felt engaging, the gameplay felt more creative, oh the music was way better than OOT, the return of the overworld theme song, along with that catchy town song, and also that creepy song when time is about to run out adds to the atmosphere and dread. Oh and the fairy is a lot less annoying this time!

In case you haven't noticed I'm enjoying Majora Mask quite a bit, and I still haven't finished it, I just finished the third temple. So far it's the best 3D Zelda game I ever played and possibly the best Zelda game overall!

I still voted Mario 64 though, that game is a classic platforming masterpiece.

nkarafo

I don't understand this, how can OOT be the best but Majora Mask be your favorite? Are you saying your opinion doesn't matter, but other subjective opinions do?
I'm at the same boat as him. i played both OOT and MM in their time and enjoyed both, but i certainly had a much richer experience with OOT. I know it's the better game, it's bigger has more/better dungeons and it feels like a grander adventure. I spent months playing OOT vs a few weeks playing MM. However, depending on the mood and as i grow older, i usually rate MM as my personal favorite mostly because of it's darker/weird atmosphere and melancholic soundtrack. I also have a soft spot for "Groundhog's Day" scenarios. These aspects make me want to play MM more these days but i'm aware that it's not as good in most other areas as OOT and i still remember OOT more fondly. So the "this game is better but i like the other one more" is pretty valid.

Went for goldeneye, mainly due to the hours spent On single player and especially multiplayer.

Truly a jaw dropping experience on the first play through (the shop only had the us cart when I went in, so had to buy an ‘adapter’ to get it working). The future had arrived when this got booted up

Closely followed by the Zeldas, perfect dark and Mario 64.

I'm at the same boat as him. i played both OOT and MM in their time and enjoyed both, but i certainly had a much richer experience with OOT. I know it's the better game, it's bigger has more/better dungeons and it feels like a grander adventure. I spent months playing OOT vs a few weeks playing MM. However, depending on the mood and as i grow older, i usually rate MM as my personal favorite mostly because of it's darker/weird atmosphere and melancholic soundtrack. I also have a soft spot for "Groundhog's Day" scenarios. These aspects make me want to play MM more these days but i'm aware that it's not as good in most other areas as OOT and i still remember OOT more fondly. So the "this game is better but i like the other one more" is pretty valid.

I don't know about that, I can't follow that mentality, sounds like denial to me. I mean you basically mentioned some things you like about OOT more, but then you say as you get older you appreciate MM better, why is that? Perhaps I dunno... because it is better? I can say the same thing about FF7 vs any other Final Fantasy, other Final Fantasies may do certain things better than FF7, but the overall package FF7 is better imo, and believe me I tried to rationalize and look at it from a different perspective, but couldn't, FF7 is not only my favorite Final Fantasy, I also acknowledge it as the best, because my opinion is the only one that matters for me. I know it sounds selfish and I know other people may think otherwise and that's fine, opinions are fickles things, everyone has the right to believe in their opinion, but no one can convince me that my opinion is wrong and theirs is right for "reasons", there's no right or wrong answer here. That's why no one can agree there's a "best of" anything, because opinions are subjective, and what's best for you is not best for me.

nkarafo

I don't know about that, I can't follow that mentality, sounds like denial to me. I mean you basically mentioned some things you like about OOT more, but then you say as you get older you appreciate MM better, why is that? Perhaps I dunno... because it is better? I can say the same thing about FF7 vs any other Final Fantasy, other Final Fantasies may do certain things better than FF7, but the overall package FF7 is better imo, and believe me I tried to rationalize and look at it from a different perspective, but couldn't, FF7 is not only my favorite Final Fantasy, I also acknowledge it as the best, because my opinion is the only one that matters for me. I know it sounds selfish and I know other people may think otherwise and that's fine, opinions are fickles things, everyone has the right to believe in their opinion, but no one can convince me that my opinion is wrong and theirs is right for "reasons", there's no right or wrong answer here. That's why no one can agree there's a "best of" anything, because opinions are subjective, and what's best for you is not best for me.
I see what you mean but even then, i can't declare MM the better game because OOT trumps it in many key areas. For instance, the dungeons aren't as good as the best OOT dungeons and there are very few of them. I also didn't like the fact that you only play as young link in MM. And like i said, it feels smaller and not as a grand adventure. I also feel MM is a more niche game, i would never suggest someone to play it over OOT. More like "play OOT first and then MM". I geniunly believe OOT is the better game overall. But i still can't say it's my personal favorite Zelda game because MM happens to have some quirks that rub me in a certain way and i realize it's mostly a personal thing.

I mean i can't think of any good analogy but i'll try, let's say someone asks you to choose between an automatic rifle and a katana as the BEST weapon. Obviously, the rifle is more effective and you will be able to do many more kills with it in a war scenario. But you are a Japan history buff and you adore the Samurais and katanas. Plus, you trained at it and know how to handle it because everyday all you think is katanas. You'd rather pick that if you would but you know the rifle is the better choice right now, even if you don't like it as much. But the katana is still your FAVORITE weapon otherwise but not the BEST.

BTW, i still voted for MM in the end anyway so i don't do what i preach. I just see where the other poster comes from and i agree with the premise.

Last edited:
I'm gonna try to break this down and show you the truth :messenger_winking:

I see what you mean but even then, i can't declare MM the better game because OOT trumps it in many key areas. For instance, the dungeons aren't as good as the best OOT dungeons and there are very few of them.

Subjective, I found MM dungeons more creative thus better imo. I'm not sure about "quantity" so that could be objective opinion, but then again quantity or more =/= better.

I also didn't like the fact that you only play as young link in MM.

Fair enough, your first objective opinion, and I can understand why alot of people may come to this conclusion as well, many people like the idea of adult Link and therefore = better game. Does it bother me? Nope, I actually like the idea that kid Link is very capable to hold his own in darker adventure. Also Fierce Deity Link is one of the most badass version of Link there is imo.

And like i said, it feels smaller and not as a grand adventure. I also feel MM is a more niche game,

Subjective, subjective :messenger_beaming:

i would never suggest someone to play it over OOT. More like "play OOT first and then MM". I geniunly believe OOT is the better game overall.

Bad advice? I wish someone recommended me MM was so good, I felt like a missed out on this classic for years! I played OOT first cause it was so hyped and didn't enjoy it, so perhaps recommending one over other is not a good idea. I do agree that people should play the games in order though, quickly slog through OOT to play the better sequel imo.

But i still can't say it's my personal favorite Zelda game because MM happens to have some quirks that rub me in a certain way and i realize it's mostly a personal thing.

Nothing wrong with that, MM is darker, grittier, covers some suggestive theme other Zelda games would never dare, I call that creativity, originality and taking the franchise into a new better direction, but that's just me.

I mean i can't think of any good analogy but i'll try, let's say someone asks you to choose between an automatic rifle and a katana as the BEST weapon. Obviously, the rifle is more effective and you will be able to do many more kills with it in a war scenario. But you are a Japan history buff and you adore the Samurais and katanas. You'd rather pick that if you would but you know the rifle is the better choice right now, even if you don't like it as much. But the katana is still your FAVORITE weapon otherwise.

I don't follow. My favorite weapon is the one that allows me to live depending on the situation I'm put in. Rifle is better at long range, Katana is better at close range.

BTW, i still voted for MM in the end anyway so i don't do what i preach :p

lol good choice! :messenger_winking:

Birdo

Banned
OOT. My fave of all time.

It's funny looking at that list and thinking that people said "An N64 Mini would have no decent games" :messenger_grinning_smiling:

nkarafo

I'm gonna try to break this down and show you the truth :messenger_winking:
I can see why you argue, the situation is much more clear for you since you seem to not like OOT at all while liking MM a lot.

For someone like me who thinks both games are excellent and wouldn't go wrong with either, it's a bit harder to differentiate which one is the best/favorite. Usually, it depends on the current mood in my case.

Kokoloko85

Overall, it has to be Zelda OOT.

N64 is my least favourite out of PS1 and Saturn but it still has a magical nostalgic feel to it. Just starting games like Mario 64 and OOT for the at the time was something special. Plus the other Amazing games like Banjo, Majora’s mask, Perfect Dark, Golden Eye, Jet force Gemini, DK.

It was our multiplayer console with my friends and brother. We still talk about it now days with games like NO Mercy, Golden eye, WCW Revenge, Turok, Perfect Dark, Mario KArt, Diddy Kong racing, Revolt, Mario Kart, Smash etc

Where is the N64 mini so I can hack it?

Last edited:
I can see why you argue, the situation is much more clear for you since you seem to not like OOT at all while liking MM a lot.

For someone like me who thinks both games are excellent and wouldn't go wrong with either, it's a bit harder to differentiate which one is the best/favorite. Usually, it depends on the current mood in my case.

I can somewhat relate with two different games, FF7 and Chrono Trigger. It's extremely hard almost downright impossible for me to pick which one is better. So ultimately I see it this way, they are both equally good, both are perfect for different reasons, neither better than the other, nor does it have to be, it's possible for both to be your favorites and the best, so I got two number 1 spots lol :messenger_winking:

Top Bottom