• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Nintendo 64 Game

What is the best N64 Game?

• Super Mario 64

Votes: 50 30.9%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Votes: 61 37.7%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Votes: 13 8.0%
  • Mario Kart 64

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Mario Party 64

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yoshi's Story

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Banjo Kazooie

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Banjo Tooie

• Kirby

• Paper Mario 64

• Golden Eye 007

Votes: 14 8.6%
  • Perfect Dark

Votes: 10 6.2%
  • Lylat Wars

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Diddy Kong Racing

• Donkey Kong 64

• Total voters

Airola

This is how people should do a bit of a SHAKE SHAKE to the OP for not including the actual best game in the poll.

BtsemYq.gif

Mischief Makers

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Went with goldeneye, perfect dark is better in more or less every way, but it just runs too poorly on the 64

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Ocarina of Time opened up the open world genre, and it's a verified 100/100 game so that takes the #1 spot but also Majora's Mask requires attention.

Silvawuff

OoT is the objectively better game, but my personal favorite has got to be Banjo-Kazooie. It has so much personality, a fantastic OST, incredibly intelligent game design, fun characters...I played every save file to 100% completion.

Mario 64 is an important title -- not as a game, but what it did for video games as a whole, and I believe deserves an honorable mention here.

My favorite wacky title from N64 would have to be Mischief Makers. I'd be all over a remake/port/remaster soooo hard.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I could say Ocarina of Time, because it was the next level in gaming at the time, but I have a profound love in Banjo Kazooie. It's on the top tier of platforming even to this day

favorite or best?

best game? or most impressive technically?

best is such an ambiguous term - need more context of what type of answer you want.

Last edited:
Zelda is great and I love it.

But Perfect Dark blew my mind. I've already spent months playing Goldeneye and when this absolute legend of a game came out I could not believe how much they improved everything (but the framerate).

TexMex

So many games got equal time on that system for me. SM64/OoT are the obvious picks but for good reason. I still play Mario 64 today and it's fun as hell.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Close between Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time, but I think Ocarina holds up better, so it gets my vote.

Hal.

Anyone who doesn't say Perfect Dark is either lying, not telling the truth, or just fucking ugly.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
banjo kazooie
Mario 64
Duke nukem 64
Diddy kong racing
Misschief makers
Extreme g 1 and 2
Star wars Episode 1 racer
Turok 2

Some of those games are just so hard to go back to, because the frame rates are really really rough. Or the N64 controller would have killed your hands trying to play them (*cough* Mario Party).

Only exception might be Ocarina of time, just because it's more puzzle based and generally has a slower pace.

Dissenting opinion but I want to go with Pokemon Stadium 2.

The visuals are much more easier on the eyes thanks to the cartoon style, and it also had those mini-games which I thought were a lot of fun.

lTZspyW.gif
My pick as well.

I know there are better and more influential games, but I had the most fun with Stadium 2. I’d love to see a new take on it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Perfect Dark was just a better GoldenEye and everyone who voted for GoldenEye knows it. Come...join the Darkside.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Love playing oldies, from consoles and PC, but very few N64 games hold up these days, played as back then, imo. Mario 64, OoT and similar caliber Nintendo games do though. Hard to pick just one given their quality but the choices aren't that numerous tbh.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Perfect Dark was just a better GoldenEye and everyone who voted for GoldenEye knows it. Come...join the Darkside.

Its close. First few levels of Perfect Dark Is near perfect..... Golden eye was awesome.
Multiplayer = Golden eye
Campaign.... tie maybe perfect dark

Time splitters 2 is the only game that holds that Golden eye and Perfect Dark soul

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Its close. First few levels of Perfect Dark Is near perfect..... Golden eye was awesome.
Multiplayer = Golden eye
Campaign.... tie maybe perfect dark

Time splitters 2 is the only game that holds that Golden eye and Perfect Dark soul
[/QUOTE
Time Splitters 2 was awesome. Can't front on that.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Ocarina of Time is the best. I chose Goldeneye because it was a godly game back then. And after that, WWF No Mercy. BECAUSE REASONS.

Top Bottom