• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best "open world" in recent games?

kiphalfton

People rip on GOT because it uses a lot of things we've seen in open world checklist games for the last 10+ years. However, I would contend that it's the best open world checklist game that we've seen. If so many people weren't sick of the open world format, GOT would be much more appreciated. It's excellent at what it does.

I was so sick of open world games,
but I recently eased back into them first with Mafia DE (which has a relatively tiny world and isn't really a proper open world game) and then jumped into GoT afterwards. I was apprehensive of playing GoT since people say it's am Assassin's Creed clone, but I honestly don't think so.

I will admit I roll my eyes when people describe games as "gorgeous", but goddamn this game looks beautiful 😍 Maybe my problem is every other open world game I played in the past was hideous or uninspired.

Sucker Punch really hit it out of the park. Simple stuff like the shrines they could have just copy/pasted, but instead they made each one different and fun to get to. I think their key design philosophy focused on uniqueness. Not every aspect of the game is 10/10, but IMO the map is and I would go so far as saying it has set the gold standard for other games.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Elden Ring
BotW
Dead Stranding
MGSV
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Ghost of Tsushima

Only the ones I've played
Guess Witcher 3 as well

Last edited:

RPS37

The first responses are all games I own and have barely touched.
Death Stranding, Elden Ring, RDR2, Witcher 3,

I did play quite a bit of BOTW.

GymWolf

Since the title says "recent" games I only went with games from the current gen. I would have way too many if I were to go back several generations.

Halo Infinite
Forza Horizon 5
AC Valhalla
Subnautica Below Zero
There is a study saying that when you sleep with more than 25 cats inside a room, the fur they release in the air can enter inside you from your auditory canal, go into the brain and cloud your cognitive functions about open world games perception (the study is very specific)

I would look into that if i was you:lollipop_squint_tongue:

Last edited:

Denton

Kingdom Come Deliverance in hardcore mode is one of the most immersive games ever made and its world is stunningly well realized in both visual and mechanical design

379430_screenshots_20vnkdm.jpg

Cyberpunk 2077 does not have as deep simulation, but its level of audiovisual detail combined with its scope is insane

desktopscreenshot2021b5j25.png

Enderal may be built on Skyrim engine, but its world design is consistently rewarding to explore

976620_2022061521172339jcc.png

I was so sick of open world games,
but I recently eased back into them first with Mafia DE (which has a relatively tiny world and isn't really a proper open world game) and then jumped into GoT afterwards. I was apprehensive of playing GoT since people say it's am Assassin's Creed clone, but I honestly don't think so.

I will admit I roll my eyes when people describe games as "gorgeous", but goddamn this game looks beautiful 😍 Maybe my problem is every other open world game I played in the past was hideous or uninspired.

Sucker Punch really hit it out of the park. Simple stuff like the shrines they could have just copy/pasted, but instead they made each one different and fun to get to. I think their key design philosophy focused on uniqueness. Not every aspect of the game is 10/10, but IMO the map is and I would go so far as saying it has set the gold standard for other games.
Yeah, I don't think you can really top GOT in the genre. It looks great, and the wind navigation is very innovative. Combat is tight, and feels good. There are amazing areas to discover. The story is also really good. The "honorable" ending had me bawling for several minutes. Great game, and deserves a ton of respect imo.

Gambit2483

It's a toss between BOTW2 and RDR2 for me. The amount of atmosphere and "lived in" feeling you get is unsurpassed.

HFW and Cyberpunk 2077 also have extremely well done worlds, with one focusing more on insane density and the other in sheer openess, from land, air and sea.

Top Bottom