• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Shotgun in Games

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I'm typically a pinpoint-accuracy guy, but the shotguns in Left 4 Dead and Metro 2033 (Last Light's weren't quite as satisfying) really did win me over. Left 4 Dead 2's combat shotgun's an absolute beast of a firearm.

Tenaciousmo

I have a softspot for the Arca Plasmor in warframe but the Tigris is just so satisfiying when you mow down an entire hallway with one round

BlackTron

Halo CE' M90 (or the M45 if youre playing CEA) 8-gauge shotty was a scary weapon. Easily the best weapon to kill the flood and foolish covies alike. It was also the best of the series. THE M90II and M90B practically only have a third of the range (the M45 in reach and the Mwhatever in 4 and 5 are good overall, but I'd take the og CE boomstick anyday)

The shotgun was my trusty sidekick in that insane Library level and I remember many good times killing members of the enemy team with it inside their base on blood gulch.

Great weapon, this game also has my favorite pistol lol.

ruvikx

Banned
Resident Evil 4, IMO. Especially the riot gun which is perfect for taking down hordes of cultists.

Kagero

All 3 shotguns (?) feel different enough, but I'd say the striker is the best.

RE4 had amazing weapon balance overall though.
I honestly love all three but if I was to pick one. Yes, it would be the striker.

stranno

Resistance: Burning Skies' "The Mule" was quite satisficing.

sTBMOo5l.jpg

pawel86ck

Banned
QUAKE 2 shotguns were the best

And especially with graphics mods

Doom 2 SSG also was great

Original Half life 1 SG before updates

Last edited:
My favorites are Gears of War Gnasher, DMC4 Coyote-A and the triple barrel shotgun in Bulletstorm. Also, I don't know if they count as shotguns, but Bloodborne's blunderbuss and the spear rifle are pretty cool.

kingbean

Doom 3 shotgun. Such a beast.

I can't abide. It's a glorified melee weapon albeit a powerful one at that range and the sound wasn't very good imo.

There is a new BF style shooter on steam called WW3 and it has 2 shotguns and both of them are nice. They have actual shotgun like properties, and can actually inflict damage at greater than 20 feet. :p

Cactuarman

Banned
I'm biased. Doom has been said but I'm going to vote specifically for the single-barrel shotgun. The super shotgun has that fantastic feeling of impact but I almost always found myself using the single barrel over the double. Power and speed.

Dacon

Banned
I can't abide. It's a glorified melee weapon albeit a powerful one at that range and the sound wasn't very good imo.

There is a new BF style shooter on steam called WW3 and it has 2 shotguns and both of them are nice. They have actual shotgun like properties, and can actually inflict damage at greater than 20 feet. :p

I like the DOOM 3 shotgun, but the problem with it isnt it's range or the sound imo. It's the god awful random weapon spread. Sometimes the gun with 1 shot in close range, at other times it takes 2 to 3 shots. I'm talking point blank right in their faces.

Dusk's shotgun is pretty badass. The sound is also very powerful.
20171227222702_1.jpg

But my fav would be the flak cannon from unreal tournament. It's so punchy. But, I'm not sure if it's considered a shotgun.
UTSDK_2012_NovPrev_FC.jpg

ZywyPL

Banned
F.E.A.R., Doom 2, Quake 2, Killzone 2, MW2 (the "2" seems to be a rule here lol).

Last edited:

nkarafo

The upgraded shotgun in the original Resident Evil 2 had the most satisfying blast.

The super Shotgun in DOOM 2 was probably the most fun to use and also sounded great.

The shotgun in recent DOOM games sounds like a toy.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
The Akimbo 1887s were unmatched in the absolute ridiculousness of it all in Modern Warfare 2.

Half Life. If only because no successful game before it had successfully put players on edge to that extent, so the whole idea of going from crowbar to pistol to shotty was loaded with emotional baggage.. one shotting previously tough enemies if you were brave enough to get in their face was extremely satisfying and empowering.

Top Bottom