• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best sprite based PS1 or Saturn games??

Seyavesh

i am very partial to the super robot wars series, though i don't know if they really 'hold up':

super robot wars alpha/alpha gaiden are the key ones here: the entries by winkysoft have no animation at all

seriously though this is from a dang psx game!
GreenImaginaryLadybug.gif

killatopak

Gold Member
i am very partial to the super robot wars series, though i don't know if they really 'hold up':

super robot wars alpha/alpha gaiden are the key ones here: the entries by winkysoft have no animation at all

I love SRW and I think I have to play this. Any translation done on this game?

Seyavesh

I love SRW and I think I have to play this. Any translation done on this game?

there are in fact, translation patches for both alpha and alpha gaiden!

alpha gaiden is fully complete while alpha is sitting in development- iirc the battle dialogue is translated alongside some of the stages
alpha gaiden's patch is here: http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=srwag

edit: alpha gaiden is a huge step up in general in regards to animation quality btw, since it's the 2nd game that banpresto produced in-house while alpha was the first.

Damaniel

Banned
While I don't have any games to add here (everyone covered the major ones), this thread serves as proof that a well-executed 2D game from the PSX era holds up far better graphically than 3D games from the same time period. All the extra RAM and storage space over the previous gen's cartridge systems really let those kind of games shine (especially when the art teams made the extra effort to bump up the smoothness/frame count of the animations).

Now I have some more games to go off and try. Also, I realized it's been a while since I played SoTN. I should do that too...

Seyavesh

Holy shit that looks good, stuff like that almost wishes me to think that the 2D gaming continued through a 32-bit generation before going 3D. Almost.

if you've never seen modern gen SRW you are in for a treat because i think it's the absolute best 2D animation stuff found in any games atm- it's seriously ncredible
here's a basic example of one of the main char's base unit attacks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NBSMV_yt_8

edit:
the same unit as the gif's attacks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igTsoRnC-gQ

Why leave out the N64? Sure it didn't have very much selection, but Mischief Makers might be the best sprite based game of that entire era.

Mischief Makers was great, but i guess the the most beautiful sprite-based game on N64 was Wonder Project J2. It was sadly not released here but at least it was covered by Nintendo Power and a lot of american and european magazines because of his charm. It is now available in english thanks to a buggy-as-hell but playable fantranslation.

original.jpg

Wonder%20Project%20J2%20(english%20translation)-3.jpg

NINTENDO64--Wonder%20Project%20J2%20english%20translation_Apr30%2022_54_47.png

so1337

Mischief Makers was great, but i guess the the most beautiful sprite-based game on N64 was Wonder Project J2. It was sadly not released here but at least it was covered by Nintendo Power and a lot of american and european magazines because of his charm. It is now available in english thanks to a buggy-as-hell but playable fantranslation.

original.jpg

Wonder%20Project%20J2%20(english%20translation)-3.jpg

NINTENDO64--Wonder%20Project%20J2%20english%20translation_Apr30%2022_54_47.png
I have no idea what this game is but it looks lovely.

Sir TapTap

That's one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Man, fuck the gaming industry's focus on the leap to 3D.

My main pick that hasn't been listed is Tales of Eternia (Tales of Destiny 2 in North America) on the PSX. The 2D Tales games are very fun for me, and have great spritework (with some random 3d added for spells and summons, similar to SotN). I also have to give them a shoutout because they tend to be underplayed in the West.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjYOfuKQ5_A

Video's from the PSP version, but they look identical, except I believe there's less vertical space in the PSP one.

37658-Tales_of_Destiny_II_(Tales_of_Eternia)_[3_Discs]_[U]-4.jpg

d9015f78d848fa16c4c68bf45924c87a.jpg

00033-02%5B1%5D.jpg

Celine

Elavtor Action Returns is a sprite based masterpiece on the Saturn.

Gradius Gaiden has already been mentioned and is one of my favorites 2d shooters on PSX.
Speaking of Gaiden, Darius Gaiden by Taito is also a very good looking 2D game.

EAR is indeed one of the best game on Saturn!

Not a saturn/psx game, but Mischief Makers on the 64 was nice. Wish I could find some nice gifs.
I also think Yoshi Story has nice 2D graphics despite the game being a letdown.

maxcriden

Hooray for Harmful Park and Chippoke Ralph on PS. Expensive games as fuck sadly.

Any idea where Chippoke Ralph could be found to purchase? As you said it seems pricy (on eBay at least), although I read an article from a few years ago where they said it was pretty cheap. Maybe it's just retro game prices going up in general, though. :-/

MrBadger

Rayman is still quite the looker.

Ciel1PC.png

I think I'll check a few of these games out because I always thought it was a shame how there was a bit of prejudice towards sprite-based games in that era. They still look lovely while some of the early 3D games look like shit. Still, the step into the 3rd dimension had to happen at some point.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, BoFIV has some of the most beautiful spritework I've ever seen (outside of SNK, lol). BoFIII is a superior game in many respects, but definitely not in the visual department.
You sure about that? I admittedly did not play BoF IV very long (lost a save to YLOD on my PSN version, grr), but I recall some of the bosses being ugly polygon models, and normal enemies being sprites, for some reason. All BoF III including bosses were sprites, many of which were absolutely gorgeous, so this was really disappointing.

Can't believe Astal hasn't been mentioned yet.
Came here to post this. One of the most jaw-dropping games at the time. The music was fantastic too.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
BqVaKOi.png

Cotton 2! Luckily it's cheaper and easier to find than it's slightly inferior sequel Boomerang. :)

Hisoka

30-Breath_of_Fire_IV_01039.jpg
[/QUOTE]

So good. It really blew my mind. This game was so well done, can't believe it went downhill afterwards.

Top Bottom