• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Turrican game(s)?

Shifty

Gameplay-wise I'd describe it as unforgiving and intense.

You take damage constantly when touching a hazard, and the game doesn't give a fuck about how many enemies are filling the screen.
Because of that, you have to develop a real old-school mindset of situational awareness, knowing when to hold back and pick off enemies with the 360 laser, when to morph ball through a dangerous room, when to pop your super and fill the screen with projectiles, etc.

And of course, you lose all your upgrades when you die, so you'd best git gud son
or use a trainer, because this is an Amiga game

Z..

Finished it!! Man, this game was a lot of fun! It's very chaotic and perhaps a tad too unrestrained (especially when compared to similar contemporaneous efforts like Metroid 2), but that has always been a trademark of euro games and Turrican actually stands tall above the rest because it is designed with a finesse and polish that was lacking in most other euro projects (I'm looking at you, Zool). Kickass soundtrack, very responsive controls and a great arsenal to wield them with, awesome bosses and pretty decent level design combine to make this one hell of an action platformer. Did I mention it looks gorgeous? Glad I played it and will certainly be coming back some time in the future!

I see 91 was a killer year for the Amiga, huh? This, Lemmings, Another World, Monkey Island 2, Alien Breed and Civ? Damn!

Regarding more Turrican, I know the other games are nothing like the first 2 but I'm still very much curious... Think I'm gonna dive in and buy Mega and Super on the VC. Should I give Turrican 1 a spin or is it pointless having experienced 2?

Krejlooc

Banned
Turrican II, Amiga version. Which probably doesn't help you.

The MS Dos version was way better:

r06jxvQ.png

Completely redid all the graphics for 24-bit color, retains the soundtrack from the Amiga Version, and plays closest to the C64 version (i.e. you can crouch and use the surround gun at the same time).

Krejlooc

Banned
Regarding more Turrican, I know the other games are nothing like the first 2

Not entirely true. There is also Super Turrican ON THE NES, not the SNES version of Super Turrican. It's basically Turrican 3. It was entirely made by Manfred Trenz - the entire thing, music and all. It uses graphics from Turrican 1 and 2 but new level layouts and an updated engine (so, for example, you get hit invincibility).

There is also the C64 version of Turrican 3, which is entirely different from the Amiga/MegaDrive version of Turrican 3. It plays just like the original 2, and was put out as freeware by one of the best C64 demoscene groups.

Avoid the SNES turrican games, they are garbage:

compare:

2aQNsLc.png

to:

8GMSVox.jpg

Z..

Not entirely true. There is also Super Turrican ON THE NES, not the SNES version of Super Turrican. It's basically Turrican 3. It was entirely made by Manfred Trenz - the entire thing, music and all. It uses graphics from Turrican 1 and 2 but new level layouts and an updated engine (so, for example, you get hit invincibility).

There is also the C64 version of Turrican 3, which is entirely different from the Amiga/MegaDrive version of Turrican 3. It plays just like the original 2, and was put out as freeware by one of the best C64 demoscene groups.

compare:

2aQNsLc.png

to:

8GMSVox.jpg

Can't find any copies of the NES ST for a decent price though... =/
How does T1 stack up to T2?

"Garbage" seems harsh. They look like pretty decent run'n'gun extravaganzas. I'm not expecting to be anything like T2, but aren't they good games if you ignore their ancestry? I don't mind linear if the gameplay is good.

Krejlooc

Banned
Can't find any copies of the NES ST for a decent price though... =/
How does T1 stack up to T2?

"Garbage" seems harsh. They look like pretty decent run'n'gun extravaganzas. I'm not expecting to be anything like T2, but aren't they good games if you ignore their ancestry? I don't mind linear if the gameplay is good.

I think Mega Turrican is a fun run and gun game that doesn't feel a ton like turrican, but is still worth playing. I honestly believe Super Turrican (SNES) and Super Turrican 2 are garbage games. Their level design is poor, the mechanics aren't great, and most of the game is just shooting wave after wave of kamikaze enemies, kind of like the original Shadow of the Beast.

Turrican 1 is still fun to play, but obviously more rough around the edges than Turrican 2 or Super Turrican (NES). Super Turrican (NES) is probably the most accessible of the classic turrican games because of hit invincibility.

Fredrik

Finished it!! Man, this game was a lot of fun! It's very chaotic and perhaps a tad too unrestrained (especially when compared to similar contemporaneous efforts like Metroid 2), but that has always been a trademark of euro games and Turrican actually stands tall above the rest because it is designed with a finesse and polish that was lacking in most other euro projects (I'm looking at you, Zool). Kickass soundtrack, very responsive controls and a great arsenal to wield them with, awesome bosses and pretty decent level design combine to make this one hell of an action platformer. Did I mention it looks gorgeous? Glad I played it and will certainly be coming back some time in the future!

I see 91 was a killer year for the Amiga, huh? This, Lemmings, Another World, Monkey Island 2, Alien Breed and Civ? Damn!

Regarding more Turrican, I know the other games are nothing like the first 2 but I'm still very much curious... Think I'm gonna dive in and buy Mega and Super on the VC. Should I give Turrican 1 a spin or is it pointless having experienced 2?
Turrican 1 is great too, plays a lot like Turrican 2, lots of vertical movement, less obvious level exits which can be seen as a plus imo, and a great soundtrack here too.

Haven't finished Mega Turrican but it seems like a great game from what I've seen, definitely better than the Super's.

Super Turrican 1 is easily the best Turrican game. It's a fantastic run & run platformer, with great graphics and music, highly-polished gameplay, and lots of great stuff to see (and shoot) along the way. Mega Turrican is my second favorite Turrican game, and it is close to Super Turrican's level, but Super Turrican is slightly better, I think. Both are incredible, must-have games, though, among the best games on the SNES and Genesis, respectively.

When comparing Manfred Trenz's two games, the first two, to the three later ones Factor 5 made themselves, there are a lot of differences, as F5 made their games with a much stronger arcade/Japanese influence than you see from the first two. The first two are clearly Euro-platformer(/shooter)s, but that changes with the third game. People, mostly Europeans, who grew up with that style of game naturally then dislike the later titles for being different, but as an American who grew up on mostly American and Japanese games (NES, PC, etc.), I think that the direction Factor 5 went in improved the series. I'm not a "Euro-platformer" fan, of the games of that style from the '80s to early '90s, admittedly, but still, as great as Turrican 2 is, the later ones are even better. Turrican is a really great series, one of the best run & gun game series ever -- for me only Metal Slug is definitely better (never loved Contra...). I love Factor 5's later games as well, too -- the Rogue Squadron/Battle for Naboo games are outstanding! Great developer...

For the first two games, they're interesting mixes of European platform-action style, with some Japanese influences. I love the Metroid-inspired ball form, and the shooting action is good, but they have issues. Now, Turrican 2 / Universal Soldier is a great game. I like it a lot, and the Genesis version is seriously under-appreciated -- it's actually quite a good port, and I really like the addition of password save, more Turrican games should have had it. It's improved hugely over the first game, too, as Turrican 1 is way too hard (the original game is EASILY the hardest Turrican game of them all, by a lot!), has more than a few blind jumps over death pits in an annoying way that Turrican 2 and beyond avoid (this is a HUGE improvement in the second game!), made it so you now can bounce off of some enemies without taking damage (in the first game all enemies hurt you on touch), level designs have been improved all-around and are more fun and not quite as crushingly difficult as before, and more. But both games have things such as no invincibility on hit, aimless levels which can sometimes be fun to explore but other times can be a bit annoying when you spend time exploring somewhere only to lose more health than you get back and get little but some not-too-useful points, levels that due to their size and open designs can't have as many of the type of action set-pieces that make run & gun games exciting as would be nice. and such. And while I like collecting, I also like having direction. Still, in Turrican 1 you can see where what made the series great came from. Unfortunately it's too flawed to be great, but it's not awful either. The computer versions are better than the console ports, though the Genesis version isn't too bad (and is the only console version with all the levels in it); the game has issues in any format. I don't dislike Turrican 1 as much as some people -- you'll see people, particularly those who only know it as a console (mostly Genesis) series VERY harshly criticizing Turrican, calling it terrible, etc -- but it is quite flawed.

With Super and Mega Turricans, Factor 5 put in a better health system that doesn't drain while you touch enemies but instead has a more normal hit-flash-and-momentary-invinciblity setup; much more focused levels that still have some of the exploration of the first two but now with smaller overall sizes; and better level designs that are much more focused. They are still somewhat open at times, but not as much so as the previous games and I am quite fine with this. I have always preferred a more directed experience over an open-world one, and Super and Mega Turrican get the balance between exploration and focused set-piece action exactly right. They are easier than either previous game, to the point where while both have limited continues (as all Turrican games except for Universal Soldier have), it shouldn't be too hard to finish them. There is enough challenge to keep me interested, though, and they are incredibly fun regardless of challenge. The levels, bosses, and obstacles are all interesting and fun to deal with... just awesome games. I like Super more than Mega for several reasons, including the slightly better graphics and music, but also the mechanics --- Super has a freeze-beam as the beam weapon, replacing the beam gun from 1 or 2 you got when you held the button down, while Mega has a slightly awkward grappling whip thing that can be hard to use well. I like the freeze beam more. Both games are in my top 10s for their respective consoles, though!

As for Super Turrican 2, the last game, it's very different from the past ones -- the game is almost entirely linear, with next to none of the larger stages that all the other games have. It's a really good run & gun, but it definitely has a different feel to it even versus Super and Mega Turricans because there are many more set-pieces, and almost no exploration. It's a great game of course, with fantastic graphics and lots of fun, well-thought-through high-intensity action, though. And it's tougher, too. This is probably the hardest Turrican game since the original. It's also got both a freeze beam and a grappling hook, and I like that the grappling hook is easy to use this time -- it just goes out at a set angle when you hit the button, instead of the more controllable, but harder to use, Mega Turrican version. But still, as great a game as Super Turrican 2 is, I do like Super and Mega Turricans slightly more. Turrican 2 is probably also better, but it's close. (Turrican 1, of course, is far behind all of the other four; it's only maybe average, forget great like all four others are.)

The Genesis version of Turrican 2 is missing 3 levels.

I was referring to Turrican 1 there. I guess that paragraph is a bit confusing as I sort of go back and forth between 1 and 2, but that was about 1. As for 2, all the platformer levels are in the Genesis version; only the shmup levels were removed, and 3 new platformer stages replace them.

Teknoman

Mega and Super are awesome...but...is there any real way to play others without emulators? None of the other NES,GB, or Genesis games are good? Wasnt there a PCengine/TG16 version? What about something for PCs thats legit?

EDIT: C'mon Krej, Super Turrican SNES isnt garbage. Nothing with that OST could be. Now Super Turrican 2? That doesnt seem that great.

EDIT2: Obligatory mention from Mega Turrican: https://youtu.be/atDWfoglyg4

Lutherian

I'm still kinda bummed these guys weren't able to fund the 3DS port (and that they never tried again on a more reputable platform with a bigger press push).

It's admirable to see people making great games on Dreamcast & Neo Geo, but damn, it would have been way better to make them available on Steam and/or consoles digital donwloads too.

Turrican

Love the discussion. Turrican II is the best one IMHO. Only on the Amiga, though (C64 lacks Chris' score & the Atari ST runs at 30/25). The Genesis port by Accolade is terrible, the MS-Dos port had its graphics redone with a completely different style. More colors used in all the wrong ways. Super Turrican on SNES would be second, although the best version is the 6 MBit original that never was released.

A brief history:

http://www.factor5.de/secrets_super_turrican.shtml

Piccoro

Love the discussion. Turrican II is the best one IMHO. Only on the Amiga, though (C64 lacks Chris' score & the Atari ST runs at 30/25). The Genesis port by Accolade is terrible, the MS-Dos port had its graphics redone with a completely different style. More colors used in all the wrong ways. Super Turrican on SNES would be second, although the best version is the 6 MBit original that never was released.

A brief history:

http://www.factor5.de/secrets_super_turrican.shtml

Thanks for that link. Lots of interesting stuff there!

I don't have access to a Amiga, so I guess I'll buy Super Turrican from the Wii VC.

EDIT: Right now I'm on a Amiga games mood because I've played the original Shadow of the Beast included on the new PS4 remake, and I want more!

Turrican

I don't have access to a Amiga, so I guess I'll buy Super Turrican from the Wii VC.

EDIT: Right now I'm on a Amiga games mood because I've played the original Shadow of the Beast included on the new PS4 remake, and I want more!

I guess the Turrican II remake finally needs to get underway to have an excuse to contain the original Amiga version. The only catch is the jump control. The Amiga being a Joystick-centric hardware, jumping was done with the (digital) stick, something that feels terrible on a d-pad, and even worse on analog sticks.

Piccoro

I guess the Turrican II remake finally needs to get underway to have an excuse to contain the original Amiga version. The only catch is the jump control. The Amiga being a Joystick-centric hardware, jumping was done with the (digital) stick, something that feels terrible on a d-pad, and even worse on analog sticks.

Couldn't they map the jump input to the up arrow AND a button? The Shadow of the Beast PS4 port works that way.

I think it's worth pointing out the incredible achievement that was Turrican 1 & 2 on the C64. Incredibly impressive at the time, and if I recall properly I'm sure that the C64 version had an extra boss battle in one of the games too.

Only problem trying to play Turrican now is pushing up to jump feels so unnatural.

jimboton

WinUAE is a nightmare when it comes to configuring controls. The remap option is completely useless...
What am I doing wrong?
Also, the game is running like tore up ass, what gives? I'm following all the advice. About to give up and just go the PSP route...

I've never been able to get into emulated Amiga Turrican 2. Even when running at full framerate, input lag makes it feel way off. Sadly I don't think there's a way around that, short of having the original hardware.

Lutherian

I hope you don't live in Europe, because the Turrican games have been removed from the Wii Shop. Mr Trenz and Factor 5 in Germany are fighting for the rights and Trenz got them for Germany but F5 got them for Europe... and it doesn't make any sense at all.

EDIT :
Right now, you can find the Amiga Turrican Trilogy on the site thecompany.pl with preconfigured UAE settings for fullscreen and no input lag.

Piccoro

I hope you don't live in Europe, because the Turrican games have been removed from the Wii Shop. Mr Trenz and Factor 5 in Germany are fighting for the rights and Trenz got them for Germany but F5 got them for Europe... and it doesn't make any sense at all.

Really? Yea, I'm in Europe... Didn't know they were delisted.
And it's strange that the games are still in Nintendo's website...

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

compare:

2aQNsLc.png

to:

8GMSVox.jpg

Those maps remind me of the difference between amiga/european platformers and nintendo ones

for example
superfrog(2nd world's level)
SuperFrogMap-7.jpg

super mario 3(last world's level)
SuperMarioBros3Map8-2.png

sadly someone decided that mario is the only way to go, i want more platformers with big, explorative, non straight left to right maps :(

Turrican

That has been relegated to an Urban Myth a long time ago when both parties settled any differences around the Turrican trademark. Ownership of all the Turrican games and name worldwide is with Factor 5, with Manfred being a major beneficiary and partner if anything new happens with it. In addition, F5 also bought all rights to the Rainbow Arts / Time Warp / Softgold library of games and all IP (trademarks etc.) associated when THQ went bancrupt a few years ago. That includes Katakis, Giana Sisters, MadTV and a lot of other German classics.

Nintendo removed the Virtual Console games from sale in Europe in the Wii shop? Not aware of that...

I'm going to be the edgy one and say that i prefer the music in Turrican 3/Mega Turrican. I think i also prefer it as a game too.

Turrican 2 has a more sprawling level design. It's less linear and allows for a lot of exploration. This is great for a game like Metroid, where you can save your progress and the game is big enough to compensate. But Turrican's gameplay is more traditional run n gun, like Contra. I feel like this type of gameplay is more benefited by smaller, more linear levels. I just don't feel like exploring in Turrican 2.

Oh, it's also graphically far superior as well.

The exploration was half the fun in Turrican 1 & 2. The more linear levels in the later games really hurt their popularity.

Lutherian

That has been relegated to an Urban Myth a long time ago when both parties settled any differences around the Turrican trademark. Ownership of all the Turrican games and name worldwide is with Factor 5, with Manfred being a major beneficiary and partner if anything new happens with it. In addition, F5 also bought all rights to the Rainbow Arts / Time Warp / Softgold library of games and all IP (trademarks etc.) associated when THQ went bancrupt a few years ago. That includes Katakis, Giana Sisters, MadTV and a lot of other German classics.

Nintendo removed the Virtual Console games from sale in Europe in the Wii shop? Not aware of that...

But then why Mr Huëlsbeck said that Mr Trenz and F5 are fighting over the rights ? I believe it was on his first Kickstarter page...

If it's old story, then it's great, but with the return of so many oldies like Shadow of The Beast and even friggin' Putty Squad had a retail release on PS4 (gargl), I always think that Turrican could be the next one. But when ? It's been 21 years since Super Turrican 2.

Oh and sorry, the Super Turrican removed are (were ?) from the NA Virtual Console, not European.

Maffis

Played a Turrican game on a GameBoy back in the days. It was pretty fun but holy shit was it hard. It didn't help there wasn't a any animations when you got hit. You just suddenly died.

RAIDEN1

Just a shame that the various attempts to re-boot the franchise have not got anywhere....surprised the developer hasn't hit Kickstarter to make Turrican 4, or Turrican - back from the brink...

Mega and Super are awesome...but...is there any real way to play others without emulators? None of the other NES,GB, or Genesis games are good? Wasnt there a PCengine/TG16 version? What about something for PCs thats legit?

For the first two games, the best console versions are the Genesis versions -- Turrican and Universal Soldier. Both are decent ports, though downgraded versus the Amiga versions they're ported from (music isn't quite as good, etc.), and Turrican 2 has its shmup stages removed and replaced with more platforming levels. (As for the Turbografx version of the first game, it's not as good as the Genesis version and has cut content. The Game Boy versions Of Turrican and Universal Solider also don't match up to the Genesis, as you might expect.)

Turrican 2 also has a PC version (for DOS) that was mentioned earlier in the thread. It's supposed to be pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov_yXmDgpdE As much as I do like the Genesis version, this one clearly has better graphics and sound.

EDIT: C'mon Krej, Super Turrican SNES isnt garbage. Nothing with that OST could be. Now Super Turrican 2? That doesnt seem that great.
Super Turrican 2 is a pretty good game. Just expect a very linear title. It has more cool action set-pieces than the previous games, great graphics, and fun gameplay. I like the Mode 7 bosses, great transparencies, etc. as well as the highly-polished action. However, I can see why the people who love the first one wouldn't like it, it IS a very different kind of game.... but it's a very good one of those games!

EDIT2: Obligatory mention from Mega Turrican: https://youtu.be/atDWfoglyg4
Chris Huelsbeck is amazing, yeah.

I'm still kinda bummed these guys weren't able to fund the 3DS port (and that they never tried again on a more reputable platform with a bigger press push).

I agree, but wasn't deciding to never reprint the Dreamcast version after it sold out also a questionable move? I'm sure many people would have loved to buy it after the first run, but it's crazy-expensive on ebay and they never reprinted it.

But yeah, Gunlord is great and play it if you can. It's quite hard (only three hits per life, far less than Turrican games!), but very good. It's the one NG dev team game I really like.

Top Bottom