• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

best type of RPG?

Best type of RPG?

• Total voters

Mozzarella

In this case, your poll choice of Western RPG doesnt make sense.

1- Witcher and Cyberpunk are both from the same developer (no variety in examples)
2- There is no reason to call them western, when first they are polish, second you made 3 other choices of western games but for some magical reason those are western and the others are not.
3- Cyberpunk and Witcher are more action rpg, and Cyberpunk especially is barely a rpg to begin with.

You either make one poll of Wrpg/Jrpg (outdated terms)
Or you make another poll of Arpg/RPG/SRPG

The letter before RPG is supposed to either represent a genre or a place of origin.
So its either J/W or A/S/C/RPG

Anyway, im voting for all. lol.

Edit: so i cant vote for all, i know JRPG is a subgenre, i have some big favorites from it but ultimately i'll just vote for Computer RPGs for now.
I think New Vegas and Witcher and Morrowind falling in Western RPG choice also makes me want to vote there, although i have to say a lot of games in this subgenre are bad, but when they are good they are really good.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

The lack of respect for Shining Force 1, 2 and CD is disappointing for Strategy RPGS. Playing through them all right.

But there is still something majestic about those AD&D SSI Gold box games, Buck Rogers efforts, Might and Magic, Eye of the Beholder, Wizardry, Bard's Tale, Ultima and Origin System spin offs from the mid 80's to the early 90's. The CRPG as they were called. I'm sure I've missed some epic franchises from the golden era of home computer RPGS. 6-8 disks games, long loading times, great packaging, maps included bonus items. All worth it.

For me the Mass Effect Trilogy is one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had, which makes this is even more difficult. Closely followed by KOTOR. On the other hand, I have no love for Skyrim or those types of games.

Is CRPG and Western not one in the same?

Every selection is great and flawed!

PhaseJump

Banned
tenor.gif

WoJ

Mass Effect is my favorite gaming series ever and opened me up to Western RPGs which became my favorite genre, overtaking JRPGs.

But there is still something about JRPGs that is just magical to me. I played Xenoblade Chronicles for the first time a few years ago and liked it for the most part. Being older though it was harder to stomach certain aspects of it (notably the banter during battle), but I have so much appreciation for what the game does. My biggest gripe was that I typically only had 3 or 4 hours a week to play and often felt like I was making no progress. It also made it hard for me to sit down to play when I knew I had a huge dungeon ahead of me and I may not get through it durinf my current session and then may not be able to play again for another wwwk or so. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the gameplay loop of JRPGs is harder for me to enjoy based on current gaming habits.

But Xenoblade was truly an epic adventure like no other. JRPGs do a better job of capturing that than most other genres.

I also will say if FF7R counts as a JRPG give me more of that.

anthraticus

Banned
But there is still something majestic about those AD&D SSI Gold box games, Buck Rogers efforts, Might and Magic, Eye of the Beholder, Wizardry, Bard's Tale, Ultima and Origin System spin offs from the mid 80's to the early 90's. The CRPG as they were called.
That's called
fjPgw42.gif

As an old school cRPG fan going back to Ultima 3 in 83, Idk if I have less respect for shit like Mass Effect or Skyrim, say. Both pretty much decline in my eyes, but I guess I'd have to give the edge to Skyrim. At least you got something like Enderal out of it, which is at least worth a play.

Marchizmo

Glory to CRPGS and Tactic games. To be fair I love all of the genres listed, but I get a real boner for big damage combos or creative spell usage. Also I like the options cRPGs, being talk, sneak, fight, steal, break and enter or any other neat tools they give you.

Mozzarella

Horizon and the recent ACs are certainly a hell of a lot closer than Monster Hunter and GoW.
WeebRPGs I've played or tried to play: Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, FF15, Tales of Vesperia. Tried to play but couldn't stand them: P5 royale, DQ11, Scarlet Nexus, FF13 and more.
Want to ask if you have ever tried Chrono Trigger?
You can easily emulate the game, idk if you will like it but i know plenty of people who dont like JRPG but they ended up liking Chrono Trigger, its THAT good.
If you never played it, consider giving it a shot.

Chrono Trigger is great because it eliminates most JRPG common problems, like padding, the game has close to zero padding, it does have few backtracking but nothing to make you get tired of it, the pacing is very good and few time is wasted, the game only tedious part is that enemies respawn when you reload areas but thats the only thing that makes it tedious, the pacing works because it also isn't very long, its like 20 hours game.
Another problem it does eliminate is the side quests being awful, the side quests in Chrono Trigger are interesting and also they do matter in the game, they can affect endings and they give you important and cool rewards.
And lastly the rpg mechanics, they are not shallow at all, a choice you make in the past affect the feature, you will be surprised how well they integrated that mechanics in the game, the choices and when you make them will matter, and each character you recurit will have certain synergy into the party, which is nice.
Also the soundtrack as per usual is good but in Chrono Trigger is absolutely amazing, and the art design is still good.
The story and the gameplay are fairly simple and they have little depth but their simplicity is also their advantage, due to that simplicity the story doesnt become multilayered complex story full of contrived/contradictory writing that makes no sense, typical for most stories that try to be deep (only few stories go deep and make it out without much bullshit) so the story being simple makes it easier for the player to be engaged and the gameplay is quick and easy.

I'm not saying you must like it but i have plenty of friends who couldnt enjoy JRPGs but they managed to enjoy this one, but i dont know maybe you already played it, maybe you liked it but still consider the genre bad which is understandable opinion.

As a person who is more centered/biased towards WRPGs and CRPGs i have to say i should at least suggest this game to you, because its really really good.

Anyway take it with a grain of salt because i have some JRPGs in my all time favorite games, but most of them are old, the new ones are very few, still its not a bad genre, but its a genre that could use some filtering. I suppose that part is on the fanbase mostly, the JRPG fanbase is accepting and generous for the most part, the CRPG fanbase is brutal and obnoxious, they are extremely critical so the games kept changing.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Want to ask if you have ever tried Chrono Trigger?
You can easily emulate the game, idk if you will like it but i know plenty of people who dont like JRPG but they ended up liking Chrono Trigger, its THAT good.
If you never played it, consider giving it a shot.

Chrono Trigger is great because it eliminates most JRPG common problems, like padding, the game has close to zero padding, it does have few backtracking but nothing to make you get tired of it, the pacing is very good and few time is wasted, the game only tedious part is that enemies respawn when you reload areas but thats the only thing that makes it tedious, the pacing works because it also isn't very long, its like 20 hours game.
Another problem it does eliminate is the side quests being awful, the side quests in Chrono Trigger are interesting and also they do matter in the game, they can affect endings and they give you important and cool rewards.
And lastly the rpg mechanics, they are not shallow at all, a choice you make in the past affect the feature, you will be surprised how well they integrated that mechanics in the game, the choices and when you make them will matter, and each character you recurit will have certain synergy into the party, which is nice.
Also the soundtrack as per usual is good but in Chrono Trigger is absolutely amazing, and the art design is still good.
The story and the gameplay are fairly simple and they have little depth but their simplicity is also their advantage, due to that simplicity the story doesnt become multilayered complex story full of contrived/contradictory writing that makes no sense, typical for most stories that try to be deep (only few stories go deep and make it out without much bullshit) so the story being simple makes it easier for the player to be engaged and the gameplay is quick and easy.

I'm not saying you must like it but i have plenty of friends who couldnt enjoy JRPGs but they managed to enjoy this one, but i dont know maybe you already played it, maybe you liked it but still consider the genre bad which is understandable opinion.

As a person who is more centered/biased towards WRPGs and CRPGs i have to say i should at least suggest this game to you, because its really really good.

Anyway take it with a grain of salt because i have some JRPGs in my all time favorite games, but most of them are old, the new ones are very few, still its not a bad genre, but its a genre that could use some filtering. I suppose that part is on the fanbase mostly, the JRPG fanbase is accepting and generous for the most part, the CRPG fanbase is brutal and obnoxious, they are extremely critical so the games kept changing.

Thank you for the info, but there are way too many western games in backlog to ever get caught up and soon Xbox is going to start cranking out several huge world-class WRPGs starting with Starfield which will take over my life for a LONG time.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
WRPGs by a mile. ARPGs are great too, just not what OP has as examples. More like Deus EX HR & MD, AC Odyssey & Origins, HZD & HFW etc.

JRPGs are weeb trash with really bad writing and ridiculous stories, obnoxious combat, horrible dialogue and voice acting, and dumb-looking anime characters. Overall, they just they suck IMO.
WRPGs and JRPGs are equally fun. Who let you out of your alt-right 4-chan copy forum? Go peddle that diatribe with them. Most are here for discussion. Not obnoxious troll posts.

Fredrik

People really need to stop calling everything rpg.

God of War is also not any kind of RPG. Its an Action Adventure.
Sony themselves actually just call it Action on Playstation Store. But as you say Action Adventure is a better fit. Definitely not RPG.

As for the favorite genre I would say Western RPG even though Elden Ring is a new favorite.

For me there is nothing quite like starting a new Bethesda RPG and create a character and immerse myself into a new open world I know I’ll never manage to fully explore. My only concern for upcoming Starfield is the action, I don’t like first-person shooters, how are they going to make the action be more than Call of Duty with astronauts? Everything else about that game is game of the decade material for me.

Theres a lot of cross over between CRpgs, WRPG’s, and strategy rpgs…its all kind of the same thing.

Divinity Original Sin fits into all those categories

Denton

3D WRPGs are the best, since they combine immersion with actual player agency and nonlinear storytelling. Fallout New Vegas, Witcher 3, Kingdom Come, Vampire Bloodlines, Deus Ex, Archolos, Enderal are some of the best games ever made.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
I had the most fun with turn-based tactical RPGs, such as Shining Force. Recently Brigandine was excellent. I also love J-RPGs as long as the battles are turn based. Action always offer very poor options.

Fbh

I'm primarily into action RPG's and Western RPG's.
I like a good JRPG too but it's becoming increasingly hard to find ones that really appeal to me, too much bloat and too much generic anime writing. Though FFXVI is probably my most anticipated game right now, although that one seems to fall under action RPG too.

Strategy RPG are fun too as long as they don't get turned into High School Simulators (cough Three Houses).

The one sub genre I've never been too much into is CRPG. I like how they offer a lot of freedom but I can never get into their worlds and stories and in general I prefer RPG's which are about the world and story more than extensive and complex skill tree and character building

Last edited:

CatLady

WRPGs and JRPGs are equally fun. Who let you out of your alt-right 4-chan copy forum? Go peddle that diatribe with them. Most are here for discussion. Not obnoxious troll posts.
When did you become the GAF thread monitor? Sorry, but you don't get to tell me what I should like. Go peddle your obnoxious whining at Retard Era you'll fit in there perfectly.

JRPG was my favourite genre when i was a kid, nowadays i find most of them cringey and not interesting at all, FF15 was meh, Persona 5 i'm about 10-15 hours in atm, i respect the kind of game they did, the conversations tho feel terrible, why give you options when the NPC will answer the exact same thing to all of them?

WRPG is my new favourite genre, and Diablo-like games, which could be called Loot based ARPG's?

And we are getting 2 absolute monsters next years with Starfield and Baldur's Gate 3, no JRPG can come close to these, sorry.

Sentenza

I like CRPGs (Baldur's Gate, Fallout 1 and 2, Deadfire, Torment, Tempe of Elemental Evil, etc) AND tactical RPGs (or SRPGs, as the dirty casul love to call them) the most.
Except when I think tactical RPGs I like I'm thinking Jagged Alliance 2, UFO, TOEE, etc. I'm not thinking fucking Fire Emblem and FFT.

In the end I can play pretty much anything if well done, but I tend to find the core design of most JRPGs absolutely obnoxious more often than not (little or no narrative agency, super-linear narrative that you can barely influence -if at all-, the bad habit to be grind-focused or at least grind-friendly, dialogues that don't seem to grasp the concept of "economy" and drag far more than necessary, "story sequences" that take control away from the player and go on forever, etc).

Last edited:

Warablo

Action RPG is where the water gets muddy. They are action adventure games with sprinkles of rpg. You could label every Ubisoft/Sony game and pretty much any game as a RPG then.

Last edited:

lachesis

I think RPG elements - especially "level up" are everywhere now.... but having said so, my favorites are JRPGs and SRPGs. But what matters the most is interesting storyline foremost, then solid mechanics and pacing-progression and the reward of grinding.

However, these days, games like Persona requires 100 hours to complete in my leisurely pacing.. it became such major time investment. I wish it could be shorter, yet also epic. That's probably why I like Ys series. Self contained, shorter and satisfying.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I find the poll tough to answer what the best, because there's room for different types. Sometimes I want to sit down and relax with a turn-based JRPG, sometimes I want something a bit more involved and skill based. I've but far more time into WRPGs and ARPGs than JRPGs though, so maybe actions speak louder. There's definitely more life in games where you create your own character like Skyrim and Dark Souls/ER.
Perfectly fine with GAF. Too bad others (such as yourself) aren't. Stop derailing and grow up.
You derailed it, and that's clear for all to see. You could have disagreed and addressed the opinion itself, but you decided to talk about another site because you didn't like an opinion shared about RPGs in a thread about RPG opinions. Not sure that counts as staying on topic.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Western easily. Weeb shit just cringes me out these days, and anime like voice acting should die in a fire. Loved the Japanese classics back in the day though, Chrono Trigger is a perfect game, but in general I prefer Western RPG's these days.

sigmaZ

JRPGs, but the ones I enjoy are few and far between.
I think western RPGs have gotten a lot more polished over the years, so I like them more than I used to, but I feel like a lot JRPGs still feel better when it comes to gameplay dynamics.
I really like Baldur's Gate 3 and how that is turning out though. (Best of both worlds)
I also love good strategy RPGs like Tactics Ogre because they stick to gameplay fundamentals and there's enough RNG to make things consistently interesting.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
meter-autism.gif

So because someone doesn't enjoy JRPGs they're just a troll and member of some "alt-right" forum? You've always been considered one the biggest fucking morons on GAF, but congratulations on proving how much of an understatement "fucking moron" really is.

I love JRPGs, but even I have to admit a lot the time they can be hit or miss in a lot of aspects, especially writing

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
meter-autism.gif

So because someone doesn't enjoy JRPGs they're just a troll "parroted message TL;DR"

I love JRPGs, but even I have to admit a lot the time they can be hit or miss in a lot of aspects, especially writing
Why are you still here? Do just lurk to post crap like this. Your message reads like a ver batim from your old boss. Just shut up, happy to ignore you. You could have posted constructively like Soodanim Soodanim who called me out for a derail -- which he was right/I was wrong.

To your point when someone randomly joins threads to trash talk users for things that trigger them in OP; yeah...that's a troll poster.

Stop thread stalking me in GAF or to quote another wise GAFfer -- feel free to DM me and I'll ignore you there.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned

Why are you still here? Do just lurk to post crap like this. Your message reads like a ver batim from your old boss. Just shut up, happy to ignore you. You could have posted constructively like Soodanim Soodanim who called me out for a derail -- which he was right/I was wrong.

To your point when someone randomly joins threads to trash talk users for things that trigger them in OP; yeah...that's a troll poster.

Stop thread stalking me in GAF or to quote another wise GAFfer -- feel free to DM me and I'll ignore you there.

drama-dramadrama.gif

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

My old boss? Are you actually retarded or is this just some sort of Dustin Hoffman level performance? I can post wherever and whenever I want because unlike your simple ass I'm not a part of any pointless forum war. If you're too much of a mental midget to handle someone's opinions on a fucking game genre then take your fucking meds

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
My old boss? Are you actually retarded or is this just some sort of Dustin Hoffman level performance? I can post wherever and whenever I want because unlike your simple ass I'm not a part of any pointless forum war. If you're too much of a mental midget to handle someone's opinions on a fucking game genre then take your fucking meds

gonzo+vibrating+freaking+out+calm+down.gif

CatLady

OMG, I've missed your posts. You need to come around more often because you always make laugh. Just don't marry me off to any forum trolls anymore. :pie_sfwt:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Have fun while it lasts. What's your deal, you lurk for several weeks and hop by when one of the clan gets called out for trolling? Why do you have to your d-generates in with you? Mental problem? Coming from the weirdo who has to bombard a GAF threads just to get a 1-up and emoji from your ban buddies. I'm glad I'm Hoffman tier...might even change my AV to that...

Edited out the part about no one in the forum liking me. Who's everyone? The 5 or 6 wagging their tails behind you. Congratulations on screwing up a great thread too. Everyone knows what to expect from you anyway. Nothing. Which is what you contribute to the forum. Nothing.

Glad to keep you and your clan on ignore. Now, go ahead and quote my post several more times adding a few big boy words and maybe you'll get a badge at your new cesspit.

This wasn't about forum wars but you just couldn't shut up or grow up.

Last edited:
I grew up on early and mid 90's JRPGS like Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, Lunar, Secret of Mana, Dragon Quest, and Chrono Trigger. Those were the absolute best. Unfortunately, I cannot get into almost any JRPG from the 2000's. I don't know what has changed, but even though I try most are not for me anymore.

I also never got into most PC style RPGs, and most action RPGs are debatable to me if they even are roleplaying games.

My two favorites now are western RPGs and Strategy RPGs (though there are not nearly enough good strategy RPGs)

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Have fun while it lasts. What's your deal, you lurk for several weeks and hop by when one of the clan gets called out for trolling? Why do you have to your d-generates in with you? Mental problem? Coming from the weirdo who has to bombard a GAF threads just to get a 1-up and emoji from your ban buddies. I'm glad I'm Hoffman tier...might even change my AV to that...

Edited out the part about no one in the forum liking me. Who's everyone? The 5 or 6 wagging their tails behind you. Congratulations on screwing up a great thread too. Everyone knows what to expect from you anyway. Nothing. Which is what you contribute to the forum. Nothing.

Glad to keep you and your clan on ignore. Now, go ahead and quote my post several more times adding a few big boy words and maybe you'll get a badge at your new cesspit.

This wasn't about forum wars but you just couldn't shut up or grow up.
Bruh, weren't you supposed to ignore me? Get off the internet before it ends up making you eat a bullet because someone said something you disagreed with and your Mexican mail order bride is left to fend for herself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom