• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best/Underrated Original Xbox games that are not Backwards Compatible

Goldrusher

skynet said:
There's an alternative though, as the full game comes with this:

51dJKjnqW-L.jpg

I'll put some of the recommendations in the OP - maybe other people can search for this and find it in the future!

I totally forgot about Otogi! I need to get those games!

Thanks guys! I started out last gen as a PS2 fan but eventually due to XBL and Halo, etc I was totally an Xbox fan and it's cool to look over these again.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
I actually inserted The Warriors into my 360 and it said it recognized name of the disc, but yet it was not playable. Fuckin' Microsoft.

Speevy

Banned
I love the "how it's designed" Gunvalkyrie crowd.

Which way should you play it so it doesn't hurt your thumbs? Because that's...you know...AWFUL game design.

Coxswain

Speevy said:

Which way should you play it so it doesn't hurt your thumbs? Because that's...you know...AWFUL game design.
Oh, it destroys your hands, every time. But that's alright, because you won't find another 3D score-based game that's even half as fun. The ends justify the means.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
skynet said:

But that has a remake on the 360 (for better/worse).

Phantasy Star Online. What makes the wound hurt worse is Sega pouring salt into it, not making it BC by strong-arming MS and shutting the XBL servers down. :(

Top 3 games on the system, easily. Best mech game ever too (along with its sequel with online play, regardless of how broken it was).

Too bad you can't play it without the asshuge controller + DELETING SAVES IF YOU DON'T EJECT IN TI--

TheSeks said:
But that has a remake on the 360 (for better/worse).

Phantasy Star Online. What makes the wound hurt worse is Sega pouring salt into it, not making it BC by strong-arming MS and shutting the XBL servers down. :(
xbox phantasy star is one of the few xbox games I kept along with my old xbox up in the attic, can't beat some 4 player split screen pso with friends :D

TheSeks said:
That does suck, but you can still play PSO Blue Burst (PC) without any trouble. More content + still quite a few people playing regularly.
Too bad you can't play it without the asshuge controller + DELETING SAVES IF YOU DON'T EJECT IN TI--
The save deletion is really over exaggerated; you have plenty of time to hit the eject button. It's not like you have to be anticipating death or something to get out in time :lol

The controller (and foot pedals) is part of what makes it awesome.

Tain

My thumbs were just fine with it.

bang

DemiMatt

Both of these run like shit on 360 - and they're stellar games. I think I might go for the PC versions, though. Kotor 2 got a fan patch recently if I ever want to play that.
Same deal with Jade Empire, but then there's a PC version of that too.

Unfortunately the PC version that I got from steam is hella glitchy, sometimes the characters freeze and stop moving and the constant change in resolution really messing with your monitor and sometimes you can get unshaded models running around.

Gomu Gomu

Dino Crisis 3...
I kid I kid

But really:
KoGoZ.jpg

I remember it being an awesome game when it came out. Don't know how it holds up today honestly.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Gomu Gomu said:
Dino Crisis 3...
I kid I kid

But really:
KoGoZ.jpg

I remember it being an awesome game when it came out. Don't know how it holds up today honestly.

Breakdown is BC, I would say flawless BC too since im at the main boss. Never 1 problem.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
iconoclast said:
The save deletion is really over exaggerated; you have plenty of time to hit the eject button. It's not like you have to be anticipating death or something to get out in time :lol

The controller (and foot pedals) is part of what makes it awesome.

I'm sure it isn't bad. But after I heard the save deletion thing (+ the $200 [at the time] asking price), I was just "Uh, I'll pass."

I've been curious about it, but not hardcore enough to risk nuking my whole X-box hard-drive if I screwed up ejecting (and don't you have to break the glass to eject?).

>>Breakdown/Shenmue<<

I really wish the local (UF area) Gamestops still had competent X-box selections for me to pick/find through. I now have to travel out of town to the boondocks or beyond to get some decent X-box games. :(

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
SonOfABeep said:
Also - GAF Reccomendations-
Gunvalkyrie
Steel Battallion
Beyond good and Evil
Voodoo Vince
Enclave
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Total Overdose
Silent Hill 2
MK Shaolin Monks
Beat Down Fists of Vengeance
Otogi 1 and 2

I recently got an original big old xbox to play Stranger's Wrath again. (I think it's getting re-released, but it was $30 at goodwill, so I don't mind having another system around)

And I was trying to find lists of the best non-BC (or poorly emulated on 360) Xbox games, but nothing was coming up. (and the search function here seems to not work)

So this is what I can think of off the top of my head - any other recommendations?

192361-strangerswrathbox_large.jpg

Of course.

1039634-gb_super.png

Unplayable on 360 B/C and better than the PS2 version? Maybe?

star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-ii.436728.jpg

Both of these run like shit on 360 - and they're stellar games. I think I might go for the PC versions, though. Kotor 2 got a fan patch recently if I ever want to play that.
Same deal with Jade Empire, but then there's a PC version of that too.

box-l.jpg

Both of these are not Backwards Compatible. i might pick them up because I quite enjoyed Hell's Highway.

124.jpg

I dunno how much this is worth re-visiting, but I really enjoyed this game when I found it cheap back in 2005 or so.

808388-924208_69413_front_large.jpg

This is what those batman guys were doing before they made the 2009 GOTY. Good reviews, but I dunno how it aged.

And some others I've found-
61FYN0P7QRL._AA280_.jpg

10188.jpg
(the gamecube version has mario, luigi etc. but probably worse controls)
71j3IieLjML._SL500_AA280_.gif

Any other underrated games I've missed? I mostly got the xbox to fool around with hacking it for the downstairs tv, but it'd be nice to pick up some forgotten xbox 1 games.
Panzer Dragoon Orta is Backwards Compatible 360.
game that need to be Backwards Compatible are
Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller
Gunvalkyrie
Headhunter: Redemption
Tenchu: Return From Darkness
ToeJam & Earl 3: Mission to Earth
Samurai Shodown V
SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom
Capcom Classics Collection
Capcom Classics Collection 2
Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO
Rallisport Challenge 2
Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Teknoman said:
Well at least Stranger is coming to the PC. Still not sure why MS couldnt just keep up BC updates.

EDIT: Jet Set Radio Future is BC.
They're just not a very user-centric company. Everything you can do on an XBox 360 has the potential to generate revenue. The games in this thread didn't sale very well on the original XBox so they don't have much sales potential as a downloadable classic title either.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
Teknoman said:
Well at least Stranger is coming to the PC. Still not sure why MS couldnt just keep up BC updates.

EDIT: Jet Set Radio Future is BC.

I think if Sony had cap Backwards Compatible in the PS3.....MS would have keep on working on the 360 Backwards Compatible games. Maybe if Sony put Backwards Compatible in the ps3 again....ms will start working on there Backwards Compatible games again. Right now they don’t feel threaten by not having full Backwards Compatible on the 360.

JKTrix

I'd still really like to play Metal Wolf Chaos.
2uhwz20.jpg

Would have been nice if they included it as an extra in Ninja Blade or something...

Coxswain

TheSeks said:
I've been curious about it, but not hardcore enough to risk nuking my whole X-box hard-drive if I screwed up ejecting (and don't you have to break the glass to eject?).
Wait, what? Why would you think it would screw up your entire hard drive? It just means that you get a game over and have to start a new Steel Battalion save. The same thing happens if you fail/eject too many times and run out of money (as you get funding based on completing missions, and have to pay to replace the VT you scrapped).
And there's no glass. It's a plastic cover that you flip up to hit. How could you think that anybody would release a game that includes breaking glass, with your hands, in your house, as a standard/expected procedure? I mean, not to sound like a dick or anything.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
So many Crazy Taxi 3 recommendations now but back when the system was relevant and I inquired about getting the game GAF said "NO". The times sure change! :lol

Now this kind of thread is making me wonder if I should look into Xbox games since I only ever had like 7 of them? Bad thread! I have enough games on my plate right now!.... Should I complete the Xbox DOA Quadrilogy by getting Volleyball? The only other volleyball game I played was Segas Beach Spikers which I liked... but usually the on DOA Volleyball is bad lol.

IrishNinja

Def_Jam_Fight_for_NY.jpg

not one vote (unless i missed it)? really GAF?

also, KOTOR gets messy but i thought Jade Empire played just fine. JSRF, i need to play it further to see the glitchiness apparently.

JKTrix said:
I'd still really like to play Metal Wolf Chaos.
2uhwz20.jpg

Would have been nice if they included it as an extra in Ninja Blade or something...

Definitely a kickass game, but it got a little too repetitive towards the middle. It's funny too, because almost the entire game is localized in English so there's no language barrier. Sucks it never made it Stateside. Such an awesome game.

IrishNinja

see, PSO's a good vote, but who still plays that? i adored it on DC, but if the servers are gone, are you guys still playing it offline, or...?

Tain

Wow zero mentions for Spikeout Xtreme.

Yeah, this game is pretty fucking good, from what I can see. I'm awful at arcade beat 'em ups, though; I've only cleared Golden Axe and Double Dragon, which are like the easiest in the genre.

Doaxbvbox.jpg

Local 2 player was the crack among other special exclusive features of course. If Xtreme 2 would've had Local 2 player I might have played it more.

89Ea.jpg

Bloody Roar period is just an overlooked gem. This game has hella depth but nobody seems to want to explore it enough.

59Aa.jpg

Total Overdose was the shit. A giant running parody but fun as hell though.

Kakuto_Chojin_-_Back_Alley_Brutal_Coverart.png

The game, OK. The music, beyond fucking excellent. This game needed a lot more work but it's playable enough as it is and this is about as close to another Tobal game as we'll ever see.

Should multi-platform games even count? Most of the multiplatform games mentioned here have decent PS2 or Gamecube ports. Some of them even have PC ports - my first exposure to Total Overdose was actually on PC. That game really shines with mouselook, and you could crank up the resolution and the anti-aliasing to make it look better than a BC title.

TheSeks said:
I'm sure it isn't bad. But after I heard the save deletion thing (+ the $200 [at the time] asking price), I was just "Uh, I'll pass."

I've been curious about it, but not hardcore enough to risk nuking my whole X-box hard-drive if I screwed up ejecting (and don't you have to break the glass to eject?)

If you die from failing to eject it'll only wipe your Steel Battalion save, not your whole HD :lol. The missions are a lot of fun anyway, so replaying them isn't a big deal even if your save does get wiped. And no, you don't have to break anything in order to eject. There's a little case over the eject button that you flip open.

I might play some later today actually, haven't touched it in years.

IrishNinja said:
see, PSO's a good vote, but who still plays that? i adored it on DC, but if the servers are gone, are you guys still playing it offline, or...?

You can still play the Gamecube, Dreamcast and PC versions online via schtserv. Lots of people still play it too (primarily the PC version, as far as I know).

Speevy

Banned
ReXXXSoprano said:
Kakuto_Chojin_-_Back_Alley_Brutal_Coverart.png

The game, OK. The music, beyond fucking excellent. This game needed a lot more work but it's playable enough as it is and this is about as close to another Tobal game as we'll ever see.

Can people still find this game today?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
You people wanting PSO should check out Borderlands if you haven't already. It's like PSO and an FPS had a beautiful baby.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Speevy said:
Voodoo Vince is the real loser. There's no way anyone will ever get to play this again without the original hardware, and the developer is gone.
That's really sad. What makes it even worse is the the few games they released afterwards were pretty cruddy.

Top Bottom