• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best use of saxophone in a rock song?

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
I’ve always loved the sound of the saxophone. I’d like to buy one but got damn they are expensive. Any songs with good saxophone parts that stand out to you?

My favourite would have to be the sax solos in Shine on you crazy diamond. That’s some soulful shit. I could get stoned and just listen to that part of the song on repeat. I love the contrast of the two different types of saxophone too.

A runner up for me would be the rocking sax solo in Can’t you hear me knocking

mcjmetroid

First song I thought of, love it!

If you think of the song Careless Whisper, the sax is probably what you think of.

What would you consider to be the most most recognisable sax solo in pop/rock music?
It's either careless whisper or Baker street isnt it?

A few years ago I would have said baker street hands down but the internet kinda popularised careless whisper I'd imagine.
Vidoes like this:

Rien

Jelly Belly
I’ve always loved the sound of the saxophone. I’d like to buy one but got damn they are expensive. Any songs with good saxophone parts that stand out to you?

My favourite would have to be the sax solos in Shine on you crazy diamond. That’s some soulful shit. I could get stoned and just listen to that part of the song on repeat. I love the contrast of the two different types of saxophone too.

A runner up for me would be the rocking sax solo in Can’t you hear me knocking

Good shit Cunth! The Saxophones you hear are a baritone and tenor saxophone (could be a alto but I lean more into tenor).

Their expansive indeed, but for 1K or a bit more you could have a very good starter and you can play a long time on that before upgrading. Or maybe a rental to see f you like it. I did the same. I love it!

As for the topic itself I agree with Cunth as well with Pink Floyd. The rest mentioned here his making my hair stand up of cornyness. I generally dont like sax in rock music unless the rock music is a bit experimental.

Sax in jazz tho... now that is fucking sexy.

Pejo

Probably lesser known, but this is a cool sax part in a rock song. It comes near the very end of the song, but it's worth a listen anyways.

Great idea for a thread by the way, everything's better with a little sax.

Also, am I allowed to post ska?

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Maybe not the best, but any excuse for a Bateman gif

xCF.gif

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Born to Run imo is the best use in a rock song yet tho these are all great.

Otis Redding - Satisfaction

Little Eva - Loco-motion

Harry Nilsson - You're Breakin' My Heart (Fuck You)

Last edited:

Morphine perfected the sexy sax sound in rock music. It's sleazy as fuck like all rock music should be, it's the sound of dating a girl 10 years younger than you.

frostyxc

Come on man nothing will ever beat the Lost Boys.

It only took three replies to the OP to get this piece of cinematic art. Sex-o-phone, amirite? Delicious.

I have to second Morphine; they did some cool stuff with the saxophone. Other than that, I'm going to put Midnight City up here because I like the song. The saxophone is just fine, but it's not the best ever.

Top Bottom