• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best use of saxophone in a rock song?

DanteFox

I’ve always loved the sound of the saxophone. I’d like to buy one but got damn they are expensive.
Try pawn shops, you can get a solid used sax for a good price that way. The other route is a cheap Chinese sax on eBay. They have gotten surprisingly playable nowadays. Two very viable options if you are just looking for a beginner sax.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Try pawn shops, you can get a solid used sax for a good price that way. The other route is a cheap Chinese sax on eBay. They have gotten surprisingly playable nowadays. Two very viable options if you are just looking for a beginner sax.

You play yourself?

DanteFox

You play yourself?
Yes I do. I've been playing for close to 20 years at this point. It started when my dad bought me a used Bundy from a pawn shop. I got a lot of mileage out of it. More recently I got a cheap Chinese soprano off Amazon. The pads are very sticky, but other than that, with a solid mouthpiece, it works great.

saxophone was used a lot in early rock n roll. that's where Roxy Music takes it and bring it into outer space.

Came to post some Roxy, instead ive got some laura Logic from X Ray Spex and some NYD

2c9b6fb1149c0bc739e2858909582c1c.jpg

#Phonepunk#

Banned
more glam rock sax. wait up dont forget Bowie's awesome saxophone in Candidate:

some skronky funk from T-Rex All Alone.

the awesome candy Beatles song Savoy Truffle.

how has nobody posted this classic? The Doors Touch Me

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
This sounds like something other than saxophone, but the guy is clearly using one, so I have no idea what is going on here but this song rules

Edit: Oh wait there's a trumpet in there too lol. I can't hear the sax at all

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Fuck the no ska allowed rule!

One Steppppp Beyooooond!
(Madness)

The Dickies-Infidel Zombie

Last edited:
Best use of a sax..i mean..this may cut it for me with the best sax swell in an outro .its short sweet and perfectly effective but you wish it would go on forever

The post chorus sax bridge ( played by bowie) is sublime

Bonus: highly underated band that got pigeonholed as a one hit wonder in the states but used a lot of sax

Top Bottom