• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best wii 'light gun' ?

goldenpp72

So i've been itching for some good light gun shooters.. wii seems to have an array from dead space, resident evil, to ghost squads and house of the deads, but i'd like to know if there is a universal best lightgun add on? The perfect shot seems to be praised by complaints about the trigger having too much distance was concerning.. thanks!

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
804028b.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VNW2O2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Noogy

darkpaladinmfc said:
I use the Perfect Shot and like it, I haven't tried anything else though.

Same here. It has a very solid and satisfying feel. Paid around $8 on Amazon, although that was around Black Friday.

darkpaladinmfc said:
I use the Perfect Shot and like it, I haven't tried anything else though.

It really is the best.

Link's Crossbow (bundled with the nintendo one) is surprisingly fun, though. My whole family including nongamer parents got disgustingly competitive over who could get the best scores. Fun times!

I had the Perfect shot as well :D

Residient Evil fire button is on the top of the WiiMote :(

wii_nyko_perfect_shot.jpg

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGEE!!!!!!!!!

What is the button configuration for Dead Space: Extraction?

Is the fire button on top or bottom? (or on the nunchuk part)?

Noogy

LLaMa-Tech said:
What is the button configuration for Dead Space: Extraction?

Is the fire button on top or bottom? (or on the nunchuk part)?
Fire is B (trigger), and grabbing is with A. Works perfectly with a gun. There are several options for controls, but gun only controls are available only for player 2. Otherwise you need a nunchuck.

NomarTyme

Go with the perfect shot because you got to fork over dough for the House of the dead Hand cannon gun.

riceandbeans said:
Just watch out for Ebay and their shitty knockoffs. I thought I was getting a Nyko Perfect Shot, instead it's this crap.

[IM]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/8358/wuperfectshot1xd8.jpg[/IMG]
That sucks man.

LLaMa-Tech said:
I had the Perfect shot as well :D

Residient Evil fire button is on the top of the WiiMote :(

wii_nyko_perfect_shot.jpg

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGEE!!!!!!!!!

wow, thank god I didn't buy this to play RE: DSC with....I was soooo close to because Amazon had it for $8

Lenardo

Banned
The nerf one is good as well for people with smaller hands,

i have both the perfect shot and the nerf one and frankly find the curved handle to the nerf one slightly more comfortable.

Koren

Xavien said:
538cd4075c73ac65754de5394a3cac88.jpg

Just has a fantastic feel to it.
I feel sore after fifteen minutes with it... It's probably too heavy for me with the wiimote (and there's pretty sharp edges that doesn't help). Really nice, though.

I was looking for an alternative, I think I'll give a try to the perfect shot.

Any solution with both A and B easily available (without feeling a bit ackward)?

Nyko's new "Wand Action Pack" is probably the best thing you can buy right now, because of the blurb below:

Also included is the revolutionary Pistol Grip, which utilizes Nyko’s exclusive Trans-Port Technology, allowing a pure digital connection between the grip and the Wand for maximum compatibility with action based games. With the Wand and Pistol Grip, you can easily access both the A and B buttons from the grip itself – no complex mechanical set up.

I haven't used it, but I'd imagine since the trigger is digital rather than mechanical, most of complaints about the perfect shot (also by Nyko) have been alleviated.

wii_actionpak_03.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Wand-Action-Pak-Nintendo/dp/B001SQ11NU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1260397763&sr=1-1-fkmr2

The best I've used are the Nyko Perfect shots, but beware: for long periods of lightgun shooting play they make my hands ache between my thumb and forefinger. I'm talking more than four hours at a time.

I haven't tried it yet, but the Pelican Crossfire looks great because it's not a shell, it's a wii remote designed as a gun.

16bamj6.jpg

2mfck9c.jpg

might pick it up in the future

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I've tried the Nintendo Zapper, the Nyko Perfect Shot and the Nerf Switch Shot.

Of those three, Nerf's gun is the best.

nerf-n-strike-switch-shot-ex-3.jpg

It has a good feel to its trigger, the handle is meaty and has nice grooves for your fingers, and the whole gun has a nice weight to it.

Plus, you can put the dart gun attachment in and shoot Nerf darts — perfect! =P

[edit] That Pelican Crossfire above looks really cool, though. I'll have to check that out.

ZZMitch

Linkzg said:
I haven't tried it yet, but the Pelican Crossfire looks great because it's not a shell, it's a wii remote designed as a gun.

might pick it up in the future

Damn, how much is that?

ZZMitch said:
Damn, how much is that?

It's $40. This is actually the first time I've seen it so I went and looked up some reviews because it looks awesome. However, I'm not sure which one I want now. The Crossfire looks like the most practical to be used with games like Dead Space with the button placement, but you cant swap the A and B button functionality, which sucks. Are they any games besides Resident Evil that use the A button to shoot? One thing I like about Nyko's pistol grip is that it has a switch to make the trigger be either A or B.

The correct answer is to not use an addon. The wii remote is already more or less like a gun. You point, and you pull a trigger with your finger. It's comfortable to hold, and it's lighter than adding a bunch of useless plastic. And its compatibility is universal.

Also, it's easier to dual wield it if that becomes a necessity in a game.

They should call this the "Useless Plastic" generation. No system is left undefiled. :p

oddly enough, I enjoy the Wii Wheel, so I do understand if people have an affinity for one or more of the gun shells

GameplayWhore said:
The correct answer is to not use an addon. The wii remote is already more or less like a gun. You point, and you pull a trigger with your finger. It's comfortable to hold, and it's lighter than adding a bunch of useless plastic. And its compatibility is universal.

They should call this the "Useless Plastic" generation. No system is left undefiled. :p

oddly enough, I enjoy the Wii Wheel, so I do understand if people have an affinity for one or more of the gun shells

If you're playing a real lightgun shooter, like Ghost Squad or HOTD2&3, not a reticule based "lightgun game" like HOTD Overkill/Dead Space Extraction/Umbrella Chronicles, a proper gun is actually necessary, if you've ever played them habitually before: the shell makes it easier to aim at the screen what with sights and whatnot.

Neo_ZX

The original perfect shot is good but some complaints:

- Gun is top-heavy with wiimote inserted.
- Must remove wriststrap
- Hard to reach wiimote face buttons
- Cannot attach M+
- Not black :(

Psy-Phi

GameplayWhore said:

I don't find it very comfortable. It's fine in games where hte primary method of interaction is not the pointer. But in RE4 or Metroid Prime I find my wrist getting fatigued. Of course, I am mousing and typing nearly all day at work and in my off-time as well. So my wrists don't get a lot of downtime.

But the Perfect Shot doesn't help me with RE4.

ShinNL

I got Nyko Perfect Shot and this one:

BigBen
20090414193838_small.jpg

They're both pretty much the same, but I prefer using BigBen because it's slightly lighter and has a slightly less resistant trigger. I don't know about you guys but my hand gets sooo tired after a while and I always end up supporting my gun-holding elbow with my other arm & knee.

I've started to really like the Zapper after playing a lot of Resident Evil DSC. The trigger action is great and the empty back end is almost like a stock. I kinda wish someone would do light gun shell that looks like the Matilda from RE4 (VP70 with stock).

Dragona Akehi said:
If you're playing a real lightgun shooter, like Ghost Squad or HOTD2&3, not a reticule based "lightgun game" like HOTD Overkill/Dead Space Extraction/Umbrella Chronicles, a proper gun is actually necessary, if you've ever played them habitually before: the shell makes it easier to aim at the screen what with sights and whatnot.

Do both Ghost Squad and House of the Dead 2&3 have good calibration options? I heard that some games do this, but I didn't know which ones, and I haven't seen this in action yet.

I couldn't get the calibration to work properly in House of The Dead Overkill, which also lets you turn off the reticle if you don't want it.

I hope next gen we have a perfect solution for light gun games that is inexpensive and accurate. The Wii is inexpensive since every Wii-remote is a light gun, but they have a long way to go with the accuracy to match playing House of the Dead 2 on a Dreamcast or Time Crisis with the gun-con, on a good ol' CRT.

I have 2 Nyko Perfect Shots and swear by them, that Pelican Crossfire has piqued my interest though. A button accessible? I'm listening...

Perfect Shot. Drawback is it's top-heavy. And to this day I STILL can't believe someone will use (or at least mention) it to play RE4 or MP3 with.

Zapper is quite good too: add a spring to the trigger and it rocks. Drawback is the convuluted cord-goes-here-snap-this-part-closed mechanism if you want the nunchuk.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Danthrax said:

It has a good feel to its trigger, the handle is meaty and has nice grooves for your fingers, and the whole gun has a nice weight to it.

Plus, you can put the dart gun attachment in and shoot Nerf darts — perfect! =P

[edit] That Pelican Crossfire above looks really cool, though. I'll have to check that out.
+3 (I got them when they were being heavily discounted)
I love this shell. Much better imho than the original Perfect Shot. The weight is great and it really improved my HOTD 2/3/OK experience. The only thin that bothers me is that the trigger needs a little more give as it's feels too short when squeeze it.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
olubode said:
+3 (I got them when they were being heavily discounted)
I love this shell. Much better imho than the original Perfect Shot. The weight is great and it really improved my HOTD 2/3/OK experience. The only thing that bothers me is that the trigger needs a little more give as it's feels too short when squeeze it.

I don't mind that, I feel like I can fire faster... which is soooo necessary when attempting to beat HotD 2. Good Lord that game is hard.

HUELEN10

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Danthrax said:

It has a good feel to its trigger

Another vote for the Nerf gun -- it has the best trigger. The Perfect Shot just feels too mushy/strained for me, but the Nerf gun seems perfect.

What I'm curious about is the new Nerf gun that has just been released with a new Nerf shooting game. I'm sure the game is junk, but the gun...

OnPoint

I personally liked the Wii Zapper, but that's comparing it to just the Perfect Shot, which I didn't really like at all.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
DavidDayton said:
Another vote for the Nerf gun -- it has the best trigger. The Perfect Shot just feels too mushy/strained for me, but the Nerf gun seems perfect.

What I'm curious about is the new Nerf gun that has just been released with a new Nerf shooting game. I'm sure the game is junk, but the gun...

As soon as N-Strike Elite drops in price a bit, I'll pick it up, so I can give impressions. My understanding is that it's the same gun but with a little flip-up piece of red plastic on top (for a gimmick in the game to see red targets). They may have made small, unannounced improvements, though, you never know.

As for the game itself, I heard it's much more like a traditional lightgun shooter than the first one. To be specific, N-Strike 1 had like two on-rails segments with traditional lightgun shooter gameplay, mixed in with a scad of Point Blank-like minigames. N-Strike 2 (Elite) is supposed to be entirely a traditional on-rails lightgun game. And N-Strike 1's on-rails segments were pretty fun, so if it's more of the same, Elite shouldn't be too bad.

joesmokey

Sorry for asking such a stupid question, but the Hand Cannon works on US Wiis right?

I'm about to order one for my brother, looks pretty awesome.

Perfect Shot is the only shell I've used, but I like it enough to attach it when ever I break out a light gun game. I don't think you can really go wrong for the price.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
joesmokey said:
Sorry for asking such a stupid question, but the Hand Cannon works on US Wiis right?

I'm about to order one for my brother, looks pretty awesome.

Yes, it's just a plastic shell you slide the Wiimote into.

joesmokey

Danthrax said:
Yes, it's just a plastic shell you slide the Wiimote into.
Thanks, that's what I figured. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything special you had to configure/attach.

markatisu

I bought the NERF gun and it feels good but its too heavy for my hands, it might be my arthritis but I like the weight of the Perfect Shot or the Nintendo stock one better.

Has anyone tried the Cabella ones?

Top Bottom