• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Wiiware games?

Valtor

Banned
I was looking for an easy to use wiiware reviews aggregator, to give me a feeling of the "best" games that are on the platform. I already have Megaman 9 and World of Goo, and I was actually looking for games that are not too arcade-y (i don't want tetris or bomberman...)

Do you have anything to recommend?

Xellos

The Strong Bad games are pretty good (point and click adventure). Very funny, well done games, especially if you like the source material.

Orbient is pretty good too, although that one is an arcade game. It's a 2D game about using gravity and orbit to maneuver your planet around a solar system (stage) and absorb other, smaller planets, which in turn makes your planet bigger. At the end of each stage you have to get a star to orbit your planet (or you orbit the star, it's been a while since I played it). Lots of fun.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I had a lot of fun with the FF crystal chronicles game. Also world of goo and lost winds.

Valtor

Banned
In regards to Strong Bad, should I go check out homestar runner before playing (never seen any) or does it stand by itself? I want to try it out, but it feels daunting considering I'd have to watch I don't know how many episodes....

Nicktals

Banned
What.

The.

Fuck.

How is World of Goo not being mentioned in every single post? Not only is it far and away the best wiiware game, it's one of the best wii games, and one of the best downloadable games offered on any console. One of the best puzzle games of all time.

Xellos

Valtor said:
In regards to Strong Bad, should I go check out homestar runner before playing (never seen any) or does it stand by itself? I want to try it out, but it feels daunting considering I'd have to watch I don't know how many episodes....

It would probably be a good idea to check out the site to see if you'll like homestar runner's sense of humor, since that will be the strongest indicator as to whether or not you'll like the games. Be sure to check out Strong Bad's e-mails (in the cartoon area of the site), the character intros, and the classic game spoofs.

That said, you don't actually need to know anything about the series to play the games. It's point & click gameplay -- find the items and use them in the right context to overcome obstacles and advance the story.

Xellos

Nicktals said:
What.

The.

Fuck.

How is World of Goo not being mentioned in every single post? Not only is it far and away the best wiiware game, it's one of the best wii games, and one of the best downloadable games offered on any console. One of the best puzzle games of all time.

Because the OP already has World of Goo.

Sciz

Valtor said:
I'd say yes, but only to determine if you enjoy the style of humor. The cartoon itself is very accessible no matter where you jump in, and the series is written the same way. It naturally draws on a lot of elements from the cartoon so certain events will have a stronger impact if you're familiar with the history, but the wacky comedy is easily strong enough to stand on its own.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Strong Bad x 10

And no, you don't need to check out the site to find the games entertaining. But the more you watch cartoons on the Web site, the more you appreciate the in-jokes in the game.

I think you should check out the site a little anyway, it's really funny.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The best Wiiware game is MM9, but you already have it. As for what your library lacks, I'd say you should try the Strong Bad episodes.

Valtor

Banned
Danthrax said:
Strong Bad x 10

And no, you don't need to check out the site to find the games entertaining. But the more you watch cartoons on the Web site, the more you appreciate the in-jokes in the game.

I think you should check out the site a little anyway, it's really funny.

Is there any compilation of the funniest stuff? I just went on their site and there's A LOT of stuff... I KNOW I won't be going through all of it for a wiiware series :p

Chumly

Valtor said:
I was looking for an easy to use wiiware reviews aggregator, to give me a feeling of the "best" games that are on the platform. I already have Megaman 9 and World of Goo, and I was actually looking for games that are not too arcade-y (i don't want tetris or bomberman...)

Do you have anything to recommend?
So you have

World of Goo
Megaman 9

Other games you can get that are good to awesome are

Toki Tori
Lost Winds
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King
Maboshi's Arcade
Art Style: ORBIENT
Strong Bad games

Sciz

Valtor said:
Is there any compilation of the funniest stuff? I just went on their site and there's A LOT of stuff... I KNOW I won't be going through all of it for a wiiware series :p
You can't really go wrong by heading to the sbemails and hitting random.bat a few times.

Balb

World of Goo (which you have)
Mega Man 9 (which you have)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (read up on it to see if it's your thing)
Homestar Runner (if you like point and click adventures)

The rest are pretty "arcadey"

CrisKre

WORLD OF GOO.

just WORLD OF GOO.

all else should be far far far far far off lower on the priority of things. listen to me on this.

Does anyone have an opinion to offer as to which Strong Bad game is the best thus far? I'm familiar with the website and all the characters, so I'm very interested in getting at least one of the games.

Adumaha said:
I had a lot of fun with the FF crystal chronicles game.

This.

Finished the game 2 times, first on normal, then on hard. I rarely do this, but this game had me motivated. I´d LOVE to see this concept fleshed out, though.

JHarris

It's surprising how overlooked it is (well maybe not since Nintendo hasn't hyped it at all) but Maboshi's Arcade is seriously cool. It's actually three very different games in one. At first they appear to be simple, but as you progress in them they turn out to be very difficult.

There's some other weird things happening in it. Up to three people can play at once, in side-by-side windows, and they can affect each other's games in weird little ways, even if they're playing different games. They're not competing against each other, instead it's more like accidentally nudging a pinball table, just little happenstance things. If someone's not playing in a given window then the computer plays, and its playing can affect your game in the same fashion.

Another strange feature... once in a while a special character, Mr. Maboshi, will show up in an empty window playing a special game unavailable to human players; the object is to use the cross-window effects to get his score up to 1,000,000. The score accumulates across plays, and things are unlocked each time the goal is reached.

But even without those extra gimmicks the games are interesting, especially "Square", which is diabolically clever.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nicktals said:
Whew.

Faith in humanity restored.

CrisKre said:
WORLD OF GOO.

just WORLD OF GOO.

all else should be far far far far far off lower on the priority of things. listen to me on this.

Just a heads up, reading the OP of a thread is required to post in it.

Not only that, but it helps make you look like less of a dumbass too.

Valtor

Banned
VideoMan said:
http://www.wiiware-world.com/games/browse?sort=rating

^ all NA/EU WiiWare releases ranked by review score. Each one is labeled with a genre and has a link to the text review and gameplay video.

Wow thanks! I looked at that website but didn't know you could do that!

Andrex said:
Just a heads up, reading the OP of a thread is required to post in it.

Not only that, but it helps make you look like less of a dumbass too.

Thanks, it makes me sad too...

Jiggy said:
Toki Tori is a great puzzle game, definitely not too arcade-y for you (since it's not arcade-y at all), and my second favorite WiiWare game. Fantastic music, wonderful colors, and lots of challenge. I say go for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgazv9XDm5k

What I meant by arcade-y was that it was level or mission-based, without any story or anything like that. Using that definition it looks pretty arcade-y, no?

Torhthelm Tídwald said:
These are my favorites. Really you could just start with the earliest emails and watch for a while.

Sciz said:
You can't really go wrong by heading to the sbemails and hitting random.bat a few times.

So the emails are the best part then? Thanks, I'll check it out!

Davey Cakes

LostWinds
Toki Tori
Dr. Mario Online Rx
Any of the Artstyle games (particularly Orbient)
Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People (only if you're a fan of Homestar Runner)
Gyrostarr, if you want a simple shooter.
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King

Ranger X

Lost Winds
A very nice little platform/adventure game. Nice graphics and gameplay.

lostwinds-20080415014908762_640w.jpg

LostWinds___Toku_flying05_T1.jpg

Toki Tori
Very good puzzle adventure. Nice graphics. Nice change from traditionnal puzzlers.

tokitori_screen2.jpg

tokitori_screen3.jpg

tokitori_screen5.jpg

Orbient
-So original and nice. A must in my opinion.

large.jpg

Alien Crush Returns
-Best Pinball game that isn't Alien Crush of Devil Crush.

alien-crush-returns-screenshot.jpg

alien-crush-returns-screens-20080825011257707_640w.jpg

78193-Alien%20Crush%20WiiWare.jpg

Fantastical

Death Prophet
STOP REQUESTING WORLD OF GOO! :lol
Get Lost Winds and Toki Tori. Their both really good, but Toki Tori became frustrating for me. :D

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Coolio McAwesome said:
Does anyone have an opinion to offer as to which Strong Bad game is the best thus far? I'm familiar with the website and all the characters, so I'm very interested in getting at least one of the games.

I'd say either the first one OR the "Dangeresque" episode.

Sciz

Coolio McAwesome said:
They're all great, so what it really comes down to is which of the core gags each episode is based around you like the best. If you like one, you'll like them all. There's a demo for each episode of the PC version, and the PC version is cheaper too.

Valtor said:
So the emails are the best part then? Thanks, I'll check it out!
There's plenty of great stuff in the other sections of the site, but the sbemails are the origin of most of the site's running gags, and they tend to only use a few of the characters at once.

swerve

Star Soldier: R

Beautiful 2-stage time-trial shooter. Get as many points as possible within 2 or 5 minutes. Tactile controls, satisfying effects and audio, infinitely re-playable against a leaderboard of the world's best Star Soldier players.

A full-scale Star Soldier would have been awesome, but even if it had that, this would still be the mode I played most.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Coolio McAwesome said:

I'm torn between the fourth and fifth episodes. I think the fourth is the funniest of them all, but it's also the shortest (maybe three hours). The fifth had the best gameplay, IMO.

BTW the third one about the Battle of the Bands is the weakest. It has a decent length but some of the puzzles are too nonsensical and it's the least funny of the five episodes.

bryehn

My Life as a King
Tetris Party
Orbient
Cubello
Toki Tori
World of Goo
Bomberman Blast
Helix
Wild West Guns
Pop

Lost Winds is really overrated, linear, short and the controls aren't very good. Nice art though.

Avoid: Gyrostarr, Prothea (sp), Groovin' Blocks, Block Breaker Deluxe, Pirates, MadStone...

I own and have played all of the games above.

Just got Niki - Rock n' Ball on Monday too. I would definitely not reccomend that one. The controls and physics are both pretty bad, plus the game is just ugly as sin

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
A Twisty Fluken said:
No Cubello? Cubello is fucking fun, depending on how you define "arcade-y". It's a great game.
Yeah, I don't understand why this doesn't get more attention. Orbient's cool but Cubello is the real standout of the Artstyle series, imo. It's kind of a combination of a puzzler and a light gun game.

M74

I really think Lost Winds, Toki Tori, and FFCC:MLAAK, in addition to World of Goo and Mega Man 9, are the only "must have" WiiWare titles. There's a lot of middle-ground titles that you might be interested in based on personal preferences, though.

bryehn said:
My Life as a King
Tetris Party
Orbient
Cubello
Toki Tori
World of Goo
Bomberman Blast
Helix
Wild West Guns
Pop

Lost Winds is really overrated, linear, short and the controls aren't very good. Nice art though.

Avoid: Gyrostarr, Prothea (sp), Groovin' Blocks, Block Breaker Deluxe, Pirates, MadStone...

I own and have played all of the games above.

Just got Niki - Rock n' Ball on Monday too. I would definitely not reccomend that one. The controls and physics are both pretty bad, plus the game is just ugly as sin

You need to have an official thread. You could be GAFs premiere sacrificial lamb as far as WiiWare goes.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Cubello and MM9 are my favorite WiiWare games... I couldn't get into Lost Winds (moved too slow, hated the lack of map, and the control started to annoy the hell out of me) and the appeal of World of Goo was lost on me.

Top Bottom