• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best wireless headset that works with everything

RPS37

I game on Xbox One X, PS4 Pro and PC.
hopefully just secured my Series X.

I’ve been using the official Xbox Stereo headset because it works with everything. Just plug into my 3.5mm jack in my controllers.

I want to upgrade to a more high quality wireless headset, but I’d prefer it work with everything like I have now.

what are you guys using? What do you suggest I check out?

jigglet

Banned
Do you use your mic? They don't exist.

I bought one once which claimed to be compatible with XB1 and PS4, and yes it was wireless with both...for audio only. For chat, I needed to still plug it into my XB1 controller.

I did some more research and realised ALL companies who supposedly offered true wireless were full of shit. It was audio only.

I angrily emailed the company and asked them wtf was with this, and they said there's nothing they can do: it's a Microsoft restriction. They don't allow cross-platform wireless headsets that support mic. So fucking arbitrary. Very anti-consumer.

This was about 4 years ago so I assume the same is still true. I bought a new headset recently and did some light searching around and the same restriction is in place - everytime you see a supposed cross platform wireless headset there's always an asterisk there somewhere saying voice chat still needs a cable for XB1. I then toyed with the idea of buying a headset and two dongles for each console. But when I did more research, no headsets supported seamless switching between two dongles, you'd have to re-pair it every time, which was just too much work.

At the end of the day if you want mic, you'll need two headsets. I wasted a lot of time trying to find a solution. Fucking Microsoft is all I can say.

Last edited:

I bought one once which claimed to be compatible with XB1 and PS4, and yes it was wireless with both...for audio only. For chat, I needed to still plug it into my XB1 controller.

I did some more research and realised ALL companies who supposedly offered true wireless were full of shit. It was audio only.

I angrily emailed the company and asked them wtf was with this, and they said there's nothing they can do: it's a Microsoft restriction. They don't allow cross-platform wireless headsets that support mic. So fucking arbitrary. Very anti-consumer.

This was about 4 years ago so I assume the same is still true. I bought a new headset recently and did some light searching around and the same restriction is in place - everytime you see a supposed cross platform wireless headset there's always an asterisk there somewhere saying voice chat still needs a cable for XB1. I then toyed with the idea of buying a headset and two dongles for each console. But when I did more research, and no headsets supported seamless switching between two dongles, you'd have to re-pair it every time, which was just too much work.

At the end of the day if you want mic, you'll need two headsets. I wasted a lot of time trying to find a solution. Fucking Microsoft is all I can say.

Heh. OP is already plugging into their controllers.

Steelseries Arctis 7 will do the trick. You'll only have to plug into the controller on xbox.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Heh. OP is already plugging into their controllers.

Steelseries Arctis 7 will do the trick. You'll only have to plug into the controller on xbox.

So why would he go out of his way to spend a few hundred bucks to end up back at where he already was? Sense no make.

RPS37

This was about 4 years ago so I assume the same is still true. I bought a new headset recently and did some light searching around and the same restriction is in place - everytime you see a supposed cross platform wireless headset there's always an asterisk there somewhere saying voice chat still needs a cable for XB1. I then toyed with the idea of buying a headset and two dongles for each console. But when I did more research, no headsets supported seamless switching between two dongles, you'd have to re-pair it every time, which was just too much work.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Microphone is pretty much crucial.

might have to just stick to wired
But I mean price is basically no object....
which TWO headsets???

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Microphone is pretty much crucial.

You won't believe how many hours of research it took me to realise it was a waste of time. Every company is so slimey in the way they advertise their headsets. The little asterisk is always hidden. Still Microsoft's fault though. Fuckers.

jigglet

Banned
Given how many cross platform owners there are, I don't understand why this isn't brought up more. No one has ever asked MS about this anti-consumer shit in any interviews I've ever read. It's really bad IMO.

RPS37

Alright. I guess I’ve gotta stick to wired.

just need something good quality that can plug into an Xbox controller and a PS4 controller.

can the arctis 7 work wired and wireless????

Last edited:

Shwing

I've been using a SteelSeries Arctis 7 for a couple of years now and absolutely love it!

100% would recommend!

(I use it on PS4 Pro & PC)

D.Final

Banned
I game on Xbox One X, PS4 Pro and PC.
hopefully just secured my Series X.

I’ve been using the official Xbox Stereo headset because it works with everything. Just plug into my 3.5mm jack in my controllers.

I want to upgrade to a more high quality wireless headset, but I’d prefer it work with everything like I have now.

what are you guys using? What do you suggest I check out?

There should be a new for PS5.
If I remember correctly

RPS37

Thanks, guys. Another case of first post nails it.
Gonna go to Best Buy and see if I can pick up a pair tomorrow.

RPS37

Picked ‘em up.
Comparable audio and comfort to what I was using before.
Plus: I can use them wirelessly, at least on PC and PS4.

Played some ApeLegs on Xbox one and I couldn’t tell if my mic was working.
The game icon wasn’t showing up.
Tested the mic on a message and it worked perfectly. Don’t know what’s up with that.

Top Bottom