• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best written scenes/dialogues in gaming

Witcher has quite decent dialogues. Geralt is always 'on top' of what's going on, never giving away info for free, phrasing his sentences so that it forces the others to give away info first.

Mozzarella

That is a very hard thing to do for me, i cannot think of a single moment and point at it as this is my favorite or this moment is the best. I played many games that have engaging dialogue that offers good context. For example i think Witcher 3 from recent games has many good engaging dialogue where i could listen for minutes without getting bored, especially the ones in the DLC, however if you ask me to point to a single scene i couldnt. I dont think Witcher 3 relies on those type of scenes anyway, it doesnt try to emotionally manipulate the player into it, like trying too hard to make you laugh or cry or think about something, it doesnt try to appear more deep than it is, doesnt throw pointless cringe comedy at your face, doesnt make characters cry like Anime melodrama to make you get them feels, the dialogue just flows and stay consistent. Its not a bad thing but because of that i cannot point to a single scene where i felt something out of the ordinary. I decided to give this example because this game is popular here. But this example works for films and anime for me as well, i just dont consider plot twists or try hard emotional scenes to be necessary good, they may be good but most of the time they are just cheap ways to make the viewer care because underneath the story will be average.

Most acclaimed WRPGs usually have good dialogue. One scene i like is in Bioshock 2007 where you confront Andrew Ryan and he tells you "Would you Kindly"? I think that was a good moment. Just an example so OP won't say i didnt contribute to his thread :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:
FINAL FANTASY XII
Don't confuse localization with actual writing, if you ever used the Japanese VA and knew the minimum of Japanese words and sentences (from watching anime) you'd realize it's fairly bog-standard.

Edit: Same thing for the other Matsuno games FFT/Vagrant Story/Ogre series, and the same can be said for my beloved Trails series.

Edit2: also FFXII has the worst story in the series and holds the record for most useless cast members story wise in the series including the fucking protagonist! Yeah i don't like 12 Matsuno wasn't the right man for FF, he doesn't know how to create a story or interesting protagonists , he's more of a lore guy and it shows, he's more interested in the politics and lore of the game world than in the heroes journey and development.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

This is the end scene of The Last of Us Part 2, so ignore if care about spoilers.

And heres why its a brilliant moment to end the story

Its the last time Joel and Ellie spoke before he is killed. Its also basically the first real conversation they've had in 2 years, since Ellie found out the truth from Part 1 and got very angry at Joel.

This reveal that Ellie felt enormous guilt throughout her time going after Joel's killer was because she wasted her last 2 years she could have had with Joel. She let her anger and inability to forgive Joel ruin what little time they could have had together. So when I learned this, I replayed the game and Ellie's entire story from Joel's death onward becomes vastly more meaningful. Ashley Johnson's performance as Ellie is brilliant. Its the subtle ways she shows how guilty she feels, but its only after this end scene that we learn fully why she feels so guilty.

I could on and on. The scene is beautifully acted and written, scored, and have such emotional power in that story. So fucking good.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

I'm sorry! My face is tired!

Her face:
botox GIF

Fuz

Banned
The Witcher 3 also has some great scenes. Particularly the scene where Geralt finds Ciri on the Isle of Mists. No dialogue, but you know everything that's being said through action and the way the scene is directed.

And in the Hearts of Stone expansion, Geralt's conversations with Gaunter O'Dinn are all well written and performed.

The Witcher 3 must be one of the best written games in history. Hearts of Stone being the peak.
Very cohesive and very constant in its quality.

Top Bottom