• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bestbuy just cancelled by new 3DS XL Majora's Mask order

Pissed is an understatement. I was on their site waiting for them to get them up for sale and ordered it as soon as it was there. And just a few minutes ago I get an email telling me that my order was cancelled.

3957875775f807738ef07ed3b98420c3.png

I'm been on hold with their customer service for 20 minutes now, I want an answer to why the hell this happened out of the blue.

What the hell. Gang, if you pre-ordered it from Bestbuy, check on your order.

Feel free to hammer me if this is old.

*Update* Apparently it was part of a mass cancel. They just started cancelling them and they don't even have that item in the system.
*Update 2* So I don't know if Besbuy was reading this thread, my article I posted elsewhere or if the flak is hitting them in the face but they are now Bestbuy is offering a $50 off code towards to purchase either the Black or Red new 3DS XL.

a4fc01cd574b7b8adf5c05654fe2a1a7.png

Mudron

Just got an email that my order was canceled as well, and I only ordered one handheld.

I guess they oversold?

Zechs

Same thing just happened to me and I ONLY ordered ONE and TBH, I am LIVID. They keep hanging up on me too :sigh:

vgamer1

Most speculate they oversold by a bunch, hence cutting back to one per order to fufill orders that would otherwise have to be cancelled completely.

Looks like they got that sorted out?

Kevin

They thought they had 10 copies coming but Nintendo confirmed their only shipping 7 copies to the states.

I don't even try with Nintendo anymore. They way they have been treating their fans is disgusting as of late. At least if you're an American that is. I guess this is punishment for the low Wii U sales.

They thought they had 10 copies coming but Nintendo confirmed their only shipping 7 copies to the states.

I don't even try with Nintendo anymore. They way they have been treating their fans is disgusting as of late. At least if you're an American that is. I guess this is punishment for the low Wii U sales.
Yep. They're doing scalpers a lot of favors this gen.

ghibli99

Damn, Nintendo takes the whole Limited thing to the extreme. I felt like I won the lottery when I got an XL charge cradle back in '13 when the internet broke the CN site. Pretty ridiculous.

shitty thing to do. I hope they offer you something as compensation.

Not a damned thing. The asses. I can understand not having enough but have the decency to tell us directly. I was getting this for my daughter and now there's no chance of me getting one other than going on Ebay.

Fucking Bestbuy.

Kevin

Nintendo knows both of these items were going to be hot sellers. I mean it's Zelda after all. Nintendo could have easily made a larger batch of merchandise. Almost no company in memory has had less available inventory for special edition products then Nintendo has with the Majora's Mask Game/Statue and New 3DS.

Especially since the system has already come out in most of the large markets many months ago.

Watching Nintendo's actions as of late, I feel like most of this stuff is either intentional or very very poor management.

I just find it weird that Nintendo went from having such a huge hit with the original Wii to making just about every single bad decision possible with their Wii U and marketplace decisions.

Fox Mulder

Yep. I just gave up on amiibos because of the shitshow. I also can't buy a GC adapter. There's been similar examples again and again.

It's pathetic how they operate in their largest market.

Fiktion

Banned
Nintendo could have easily made a larger batch of merchandise. Almost no company in memory has had less available inventory for special edition products then Nintendo has with the Majora's Mask Game/Statue and New 3DS.

Watching Nintendo's actions as of late, I feel like most of this stuff is intentional
tumblr_m0tq0c3odQ1qe6dvp.gif

benjammin

I would blame Nintendo before I blamed Best Buy. Best Buy can't control the number of units that they're receiving. They certainly wouldn't give up on the profits unless they had to.

Memory

Nintendo knows both of these items were going to be hot sellers. I mean it's Zelda after all. Nintendo could have easily made a larger batch of merchandise. Almost no company in memory has had less available inventory for special edition products then Nintendo has with the Majora's Mask Game/Statue and New 3DS.

Especially since the system has already come out in most of the large markets many months ago.

Watching Nintendo's actions as of late, I feel like most of this stuff is either intentional or very very poor management.

I just find it weird that Nintendo went from having such a huge hit with the original Wii to making just about every single bad decision possible with their Wii U and marketplace decisions.

Not really, until recently Nintendo have not been selling out of anything. Its only the surprise success of the Amiibo and now this that have peoples panties in a twist.

finalflame

Gold Member

So, "Limited" means "Limited as long as it's enough for me to get one at my own leisure"?

I applaud Nintendo for making a limited item truly limited. As a dedicated fan, I was both to order both without a hitch. Shame on Best Buy for overselling if they didn't know/overestimated their allocation.

The Lamp

Everyone had better start buying their necessary chargers now. I'm not even kidding. I suspect the next moronic shortage will be not enough chargers for the 3DS XLs going around.

RickGhastly

Neo Member
Not really, until recently Nintendo have not been selling out of anything. Its only the surprise success of the Amiibo and now this that have peoples panties in a twist.

The Amiibo could be selling like the Baha Men's latest and even then no one would be able to find certain figures. There's simply no way anyone could be educated on the distribution of those things and say "Yeah, that's pretty reasonable".

finalflame

Gold Member
Everyone had better start buying their necessary chargers now. I'm not even kidding. I suspect the next moronic shortage will be not enough chargers for the 3DS XLs going around.

That's a pretty silly assertion. Not only are there TONS of first party chargers, there are also tons of third-party options that will charge the console just fine, added to the fact that most people are likely to have a DSi/3DS/XL charger already at home.

I just got of the phone with them. Im so heated right now. Biggest bull ever. Telling me that they had a surplus of pre orders and had to start canceling some.

Damn, that sucks, OP. :/ Stores shouldn't take pre-orders unless they have the exact number of units they will receive. So they don't have to do this bullshit. I pre-ordered this from GameStop today and I hope something like this doesn't happen to me or anyone else.

Vitacat

This is really awful. :-(

Also confirms that BB was not canceling orders to stop scalpers - it was because (once again) Nintendo is undersupplying NA.

jimi_dini

Nintendo knows both of these items were going to be hot sellers. I mean it's Zelda after all.

Why should they?

I'm pretty sure that plenty of those are simply bought by scalpers. 3DS didn't sell that well. Wii U doesn't sell that well. Why should they release some insane amount of limited edition 3DSs and risk having to drop the price for those after some weeks, when they still haven't sold out?

I'm seeing this right now with Bayonetta First Print. It was sold out within minutes in Europe and that was true for every single shop. But nowadays I can still find new copies on amazon and other sites. It's scalpers. In case Nintendo released twice that amount, then a large percentage of those would still be bought by scalpers.

Personally I actually like that when Nintendo says Limited, they do in fact mean Limited and not "Limited as in we will have some still available for you 2 months after release and 6 months later, we will drop the price for an insane amount of money"

They can only solve this "properly" by simply selling all of them in their own store. Limited to 1 per customer and also filtering for same address / creditcard and so on.

Just take a look at this shit: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ND54JME/
Only 14 left in stock.
Sold by Rush Gaming and Fulfilled by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.

nakedeyes

Banned
Told my buddy about this thread 5 mins ago.. he just checked and his was cancelled as well.. WTF Best Buy! Gamers Club Unlocked my ass!

Cbajd5

Well for that to happen all 3rd party charger producers would have to sell through whatever stock they've been sitting on since the DSi.

That seems unlikely, to say the least.

finalflame

Gold Member
This is really awful. :-(

Also confirms that BB was not canceling orders to stop scalpers - it was because (once again) Nintendo is undersupplying NA.

How do you figure Nintendo is undersupplying, and Best Buy is not overestimating their allocation? I doubt Nintendo made promises of X allocation and then said "oh, nevermind, we're not gonna give you those". Best Buy likely assumed or overestimated their allocation, oversold, and now has to disappoint a handful of people.

leng jai

I just got of the phone with them. Im so heated right now. Biggest bull ever. Telling me that they had a surplus of pre orders and had to start canceling some.

I don't understand how this is the biggest bull ever. This happens all the time with limited editions and high demand items.

I don't understand how this is the biggest bull ever. This happens all the time with limited editions and high demand items.

It happens often, but it is bull. There's an item you really want and you put in a preorder and think you've secured it, only to find out weeks or days before release that you won't in fact be getting it at all.

Retailers should vastly undersell until they have confirmed shipment numbers, then slowly open up additional preorders until they've met their allocation. Instead it just seems like they try to ballpark and always fuck up.

Why should a retailer take allocate a pre order for an item they don't have? It provides false security and by the time they cancel the order the LE is usually out of stock elsewhere.

Top Bottom