• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda Announces Brink From Splash Damage, First Trailer, Deano Returns, GAF Cheers

Tonza

This and Rage are two of the few fps's Im interested in. This more so because of the comparisons to Mirror's Edge. I also like the art style based from the character creation videos.

Xater

Damn! So there was a gameplay vid and I missed it? :(

Why the hell did they not release an official one for the public. I want to see it in motion.

noah111

Still Alive

Spoit

X26 said:
Looks good

...but where's the ES6 info!?

Bethesda's only publishing this, Splash Damage are the actual developers. I don't know why people keep thinking Bethesda is developing it too. Oh wait, because the thread title is poorly phrased

Some of my impression from the live-demo at Quakecon:

The developer who was on hand to present it asked people not to record the video, not that that necessarily means it won't makes it way to the internet anyway. But it didn't sound like anyone was going to stream it.

It looked pretty awesome, by the way. From what I saw, it's like a combination of Mirror's Edge and Team Fortress 2 with some RPG-ness added in. Basically, it's a squad shooter with you and several other squadmates doing missions all throughout a level [you can play single player or online with up to seven people]. There are classes, like engineer, a scout/infiltrator class, soldier, and so on, with each one having a certain advantage that aids in completing the various missions. At any given point there are about six or seven open missions that need to be completed, such as "Gather intelligence by interrogating any enemy" or "Repair the crane" or "Destroy a barrier" that you can perform for experience points, though they didn't really go in-depth about what experience points do for you.

There's also a lot of character customization, similar to what you can do in RPG with various clothes styles, tattoos, headhear, body types and so on.

There's two different factions, basically the police force and the resistance.

SMART system allows you to use the "Sprint" button to climb over obstacles, pull yourself over ledges, and slide under things or slide into cover. This looked to be implement really smoothly, with no glitches and good detection. Nothing was canned, it was all on-the-fly and worked wherever the player wanted to use it.

Graphics were really clean and high-quality, though some of the animations looked a bit stiff.

Classes can be changed at command posts scattered throughout the level. Also at command posts, you can pick up new sets of weapons to better compliment the different classes.

Sipowicz

Banned
this honestly sounds like the next big thing in shooters

i dont think cs, tf2, left 4 dead, call of duty, battlefield or halo will ever die but it really is refreshing to something new

the mirrors edge stuff in particularly sounds amazing

splash damage are also one of the best fps devs in the game and they have been since wolfenstein enemy territory

HiResDes said:
^Sounds exquisite, but you had me at plays like Mirror Edge and TF2...

The TF2 class shifting was pretty kind of neat, makes it easier to jump from one objective to the next when something needs to get done quick and everyone else is occupied elsewhere.

The Mirror's Edge stuff was really awesome, though. It looked fluid too and I didn't notice any moments where the game failed to detect a ledge or jumpable objects. This is something that I really hope catches on in more FPS games. Too often, you're trying to jump over some obstacle but you keep missing the edge by mere inches. This looks like it eliminates a lot of that frustration.

mclaren777

I think Brink is going to be one of the best games of 2010 and it amazes me that it doesn't seem to be on anyone's radar.

In Brink, Splash Damage and Bethesda may have one of the most ambitious games of 2010: a first-person shooter that blends single- and multi-player on a fundamental level, which is also sufficiently accessible that a complete novice can go toe-to-toe with a veteran and both still enjoy themselves. Following his Developer Session at the Eurogamer Expo 2009 last month, we cornered studio boss Paul Wedgwood to see how it's getting on.

Full Interview

peakish

mclaren777 said:
I think Brink is going to be one of the best games of 2010 and it amazes me that it doesn't seem to be on anyone's radar.
Well Bethesda are doing their best to keep it off everyones radar. Where's the gameplay videos of what's been shown on conventions?

I like some of the concept and would live for SD to really hit it but words alone can only hold the interest so far...

Paul Wedgwood said:
Certainly for the PC. Our preferred mode of operation is to use dedicated servers

Really, peer-to-peer is only something you can do at LAN parties.

You really need to have a dedicated server for people who are going to play from a PC and play online.
Man, I love Splash Damage.

Any videos of this "SMART" movement in action? I've been waiting for something like that in FPS's.

Does it have a cover system as well?

mclaren777

Liara T'Soni said:
Any videos of this "SMART" movement in action? I've been waiting for something like that in FPS's.

Does it have a cover system as well?
People shot some videos at PAX but Bethesda has been really diligent about getting them removed from Youtube. And I can't remember if it has a cover system or not.

Top Bottom