• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda Announces Brink From Splash Damage, First Trailer, Deano Returns, GAF Cheers

Flavius

legend166 said:
Also, is is now mandatory that every futuristic game have a main building that is really, really tall?

Half Life already did it folks, let it go.

Try more a convention of science fiction, and less a convention of science fiction videogames. I was drawing buildings that looked very much like these thirty years ago.

Is it now mandatory that every fantasy game have a half-naked elf chick that is really, really hot?

Truant

Hey SplashDamage developer,

Please inform Bethesda that the need to lose GameBryo for TES5.

Good luck with your game.

Sincerely,

me.

sykoex said:
Thank god. I was starting to worry there wouldn't be any new first person shooters to play.
That's a pretty unfair comment since this developer was forged out of FPS modding and went on to do commercial FPS development. I understand where you're coming from, but it isn't like Splash Damage is hopping on some bandwagon. They were clearly going to make an FPS; it's what they do.

bdouble

I don't get that complaint either Chris Remo. I mean the first person perspective has so much to offer. Yeah its shooting but its going in other directions lately. Its not going to go the way of the point and click and other genres that died. Hell it might bring some of those elements back to the forefront. Action sliced with some interesting detective work wouldn't be a bad thing.

With things like Mirror's Edge, Zeno Clash, Condemed, and even Killzone 2 which are all putting you in a different place from the first person perspective with actual weight and feeling. Not just a floating gun and a camera on wheels. Devs are realizing you can do a lot more from the perspective and it really throws you into the world. I mean we are finally getting fully modeled player characters with actual limps.

bdouble said:
I don't get that complaint either Chris Remo. I mean the first person perspective has so much to offer. Yeah its shooting but its going in other directions lately. Its not going to go the way of the point and click and other genres that died. Hell it might bring some of those elements back to the forefront. Action sliced with some interesting detective work wouldn't be a bad thing.

With things like Mirror's Edge, Zeno Clash, Condemed, and even Killzone 2 which are all putting you in a different place from the first person perspective with actual weight and feeling you aren't just a camera on wheels. Finally people are starting to model the rest of your body.
I agree, I'm a huge fan of the first-person perspective, and not just for shooting. I think there's a lot of interesting ground to explore there, and I'm glad there are people exploring it.

That looks kind of like what we've seen from id Tech 5. It also wouldn't be the first time SD worked with id technology before (in fact, I think that is ALL they've worked with).

EDIT-That link mentions virtual texturing, too. The plot thickens...

b.e.r.g

Maybe... but why are they so damn secret about it? And how come ID isn't involved at all this time around?

Btw, from #splashdamage:
[23:34] <+Tron-> http://www.splashdamage.com/screens_brink/004_tb.jpg
[23:34] <+Tron-> You trying to see that is ingame?
[23:34] <@jRAD> it is

... was confirmed many times as real screens.

EDIT:
EDIT-That link mentions virtual texturing, too. The plot thickens...
I have no idea what that is...

b.e.r.g said:
Maybe... but why are they so damn secret about it? And how come ID isn't involved at all this time around?

Btw, from #splashdamage:

... was confirmed many times as real screens.

EDIT:
I have no idea what that is...

I'm assuming it's the same thing as virtualized textures, which is the big new feature of id's new engine.

element

Screenshots.

52006_Brink-04.jpg

52005_Brink-03.jpg

52004_Brink-02.jpg

52003_Brink-01.jpg

Looks awesome!!

Looks great! I'm getting Mirror's Edge vibes from the screens and artwork... would be neat if they'd implement that kind of mobility in a multiplayer game.

TheFallen

Obviously it's too early to tell, but the game seems to sound a lot like the Shadowrun fps on 360. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. (cue all Shadowrun fps haters).

DeanoCalver

Splash Damage
Screen shots are real. Seems to spend a fair amount of my career saying that ;)

Engine is a heavily modified Quake Wars Engine (idTech 4), its got a totally new renderer, console improvement (job system for multi-core/PS3) + lots of other things.

Virtual Texturing (full name Sparse Virtual Texturing), is a technique to have almost unlimited textures in game. We render a mini view of the game each frame, see which textures are actually visible and then stream them off disk on demand. So the only real limits to textures is how much is visible (also we don't need to bring in the stupidly high res ones until your close enough to actually see the high res details).

DeanoCalver said:

Engine is a heavily modified Quake Wars Engine (idTech 4), its got a totally new renderer, console improvement (job system for multi-core/PS3) + lots of other things.

Virtual Texturing (full name Sparse Virtual Texturing), is a technique to have almost unlimited textures in game. We render a mini view of the game each frame, see which textures are actually visible and then stream them off disk on demand. So the only real limits to textures is how much is visible (also we don't need to bring in the stupidly high res ones until your close enough to actually see the high res details).

Are you saying game will look exactly like this in retail version? I don't see jaggies here.

52006_Brink-04.jpg

DeanoCalver

Splash Damage
I see jaggies, see the shadow on the column to the left of the light beam.

If you've got a shit hot PC with AA maxed out, thats what it will look like. For obvious reasons screenshots are taken with the best settings (at very high res as well, because of print magazines). Those shots were rendered in-game and dumped to disk as a TGA with NO further touch ups.

Less extreme platforms will have less AA, were aiming of at least 4x on both PS3 and XBOX. 720P with 4x AA is our reference resolution and AA setting.

xbhaskarx

That character directly above my comment is one of the lamest I've seen in a long time. I would go into details but it's everything but the gun. Okay, I'll do it: tiny head, stupid number of band-aids, giant nose, crazy eyes, annoying tats. And what's he wearing, cargo pants and football shoulderpads?

deepbrown

DeanoCalver said:

If you've got a shit hot PC with AA maxed out, thats what it will look like. For obvious reasons screenshots are taken with the best settings (at very high res as well, because of print magazines). Those shots were rendered in-game and dumped to disk as a TGA with NO further touch ups.

Less extreme platforms will have less AA, were aiming of at least 4x on both PS3 and XBOX. 720P with 4x AA is our reference resolution and AA setting.
Deano's back! Welcome back...your works looking great, glad you found something cool since Ninja Theory :)

DeanoCalver

Splash Damage
xbhaskarx said:
That character directly above my comment is one of the lamest I've seen in a long time. I would go into details but it's everything but the gun. Okay, I'll do it: tiny head, stupid number of band-aids, giant nose, stupid tats. And what's he wearing, cargo pants and football shoulderpads?

Thats why the game has extensive character customisation, so you can pick what you look like. Their will be millions of combinations by release (already up to a few hundred thousand), he's a 'heavy' hence the slightly over the top body compared to his head, their are other body types.

But yeah, needs to learn how to shave ;)

DeanoCalver said:

Neat. Thanks for details. I'm digging overall look.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Looks good, pretty unique vibe. Not really digging the character designs showed so far, but with the enormous amount of customization apparantly possible, I'm sure I'll be able to create something I really like. The concept art and the environments look really cool. I haven't read much about it yet - something of a utopian sci-fi city, but, looking at the art, surrounded by less-fortunate slums? If something like that, cool. Wish you and your colleagues all the best developing this, DeanoCalver, it looks promising!

Fireflu

This looks amazing! Im getting a definite Timesplitters 2 vibe of the character design (love it!)
I really wasn't expecting the game to have so much charm, hype for this game has exploded:D

DeanoCalver said:

Are you doing the ports in-house this time?

FirewalkR

Congrats to the team, Deano, that's some serious Crysis-level visuals (though it's hard - and probably not a good idea lol - to compare, due to the severe diference in art styles). :)

Assuming it'll come out in 2010, you'll have some pretty powerful PC hardware at the time to make this possible. I hope the console versions don't much fidelity, though looking at these awesome shots it's kinda hard to see how.

I also hope it'll run well on my i7 920+gtx260 and similar configs. :)

CamHostage

Wow, that looks incredibly difference from anything I would have expected given the bleeding eye teaser.

The cartoonish character design took me a minute to go from hate to love (hate for new things gets you bald space marines, people...) but I'm on boards now. And the density of visual detail is really impressive. Nice work, Splash Damage.

DeanoCalver

Splash Damage
Flying_Phoenix said:
:lol Talk about stereotypical American character designs (I.E. Big and Shaved Headed with Guns).

Doesn't look too bad though.

Our art director is French... :p

We have three Americans on the team though, the Producer, Lead Tools and Design Director.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Sick.. I wish I spotted this one sooner.

That Giantbomb interview along with what's been shown so far makes me extremely curious to see more. Digging the character look and style of everything too.

Shnookums

DeanoCalver said:

Quake Wars had some kind of engine limitation that prevented the animations from running above a certain rate not matter how high your framerate. This made for a jerky look that bugged a lot of people. Am I safe in assuming this issue was fixed for this version of the engine?

Top Bottom