• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda Announces Brink From Splash Damage, First Trailer, Deano Returns, GAF Cheers

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Don't want to derail the thread, but wouldn't extensive character customization be more interesting when you can see your own character (3rd person, over-the-shoulder perspective for example) then FPS? I wasn't really aware this title's a FPS (isn't obvious from the screenshots) but was wondering about this when I read it.

Rei_Toei said:
Don't want to derail the thread, but wouldn't extensive character customization be more interesting when you can see your own character (3rd person, over-the-shoulder perspective for example) then FPS? I wasn't really aware this title's a FPS (isn't obvious from the screenshots) but was wondering about this when I read it.

Maybe they has an overabundance of mirrors?

1-D_FTW

Hatchman said:
http://www.gamestooge.com/2009/06/06/e3-09-best-game-of-show-brink/

Gamestooge have given Brink 'game of the show' for E309.

@Rei Toei - i think the idea of extensive character customisation is so that you can potray yourself to others in the way that you want. You can also show off the things that you have unlocked and it will become a way for other players to identify how good a player you are, as well as how you want to be seen.

Sure sounds interesting. Be nice to see some actual footage though. As much as I liked the return of the new E3, it seems there was a huge lack of information on a lot of games.

pcostabel

Gold Member
It's a sci-fi first person shooter. I put some details up in the OP.

Rottweiler said:
I've lost all interest in the game.

Same here. It's sad to see great art styles like Brink and Borderland wasted on boring FPS :(.
They mention character customization, but what's the point when all you see is the stupid gun?

I hate FPS.

Spoit

Shnookums said:
Quake Wars had some kind of engine limitation that prevented the animations from running above a certain rate not matter how high your framerate. This made for a jerky look that bugged a lot of people. Am I safe in assuming this issue was fixed for this version of the engine?
I thought that was a gameplay choice made for the sake of latency because it was a MP game. If this is a SP game, I don't see why it would be a problem

bdouble said:
Yeah but I think it also has competitive play. I think they are trying to blur the lines a bit. Really interested in the whole game especially the movement after hearing the GB coverage.

I'm still not clear on the issue. Is there really a SP mode with a hopefully deep plot, or is this one of those games where it's mainly MP but still has a (weak) SP mode?

Shnookums

Spoit said:
I thought that was a gameplay choice made for the sake of latency because it was a MP game. If this is a SP game, I don't see why it would be a problem

It wasn't (there was a lot of talk about it on the ET forums with some SD devs explaining the issue and that it was something they didn't have the ability to fix at the time). Also this isn't an SP game.

edit: This thread has some headspinning explanations from SD devs http://community.enemyterritory.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14182&page=3

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
pcostabel said:
Same here. It's sad to see great art styles like Brink and Borderland wasted on boring FPS :(.
They mention character customization, but what's the point when all you see is the stupid gun?

I hate FPS.
It's sad to see people judge a game before it's even out. The FPS genre is really broad so who knows how the final product will turn out.

Also, holy shit if those are screenshots and not concept art.

mr_nothin

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
That character directly above my comment is one of the lamest I've seen in a long time. I would go into details but it's everything but the gun. Okay, I'll do it: tiny head, stupid number of band-aids, giant nose, crazy eyes, annoying tats. And what's he wearing, cargo pants and football shoulderpads?
Maybe we should put him in full body armor and give him a buzz cut with a super giant gun...OH and a bandana and make him white...yea yea, make him white and make it realistic!

Then it'll be just like other games.
Come on, the designs look fun and crazy. It looks like SSX for First Person Shooters. I love the art style and the designs and the graphics. It looks awesome.

GaryD

pcostabel said:

I hate FPS.

I remember back in the original Quake days you could customise your character and your clan could all share the same skin or variations of it. It makes it easy to keep track of your friends.

bdouble

pcostabel said:
No its sad to see you judging two of the most unique first person games that have been unveiled recently. One a Diablo loot fest and healing bullets while the other blends the lines between multiplayer and single while also introducing a very cool take on movement around the enviroment.

What the hell is DJ Mbenga doing in this game?

52006_Brink-04.jpg

DJMBENGA.jpg

MikeE21286 said:
love the art, reminds me somewhat of TF2 for some reason.
Yep... kind of a lineage from TF2 to that Fifa Street game to this.

Interested in seeing more on this one, but all I really want from Splash Damage is multiplayer in the same style and as tight as Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.

They have been assembling quite the team for this project. I know Chris Sweetman (BLACK) is the audio director on it. That assures it will have super-rad gun sounds. :D

I'm wary of Bethesda as a publisher, but Splash damage has a decent track record. It also seems that they are addressing their previous weaknesses with these new additions.

I like the character style, that alone tells me it's not going to be your standard fare BS. Hype +1.

Wow, loving the characters- they seem to fit in the environments too. If there's sound from the guy who did Black and the gun play is good then this'll be my first Splash Damage game. Looking forward to seeing more from this.

Title's a bit eh. For a shooter at least.

Aaron

Sat in on the presentation, and I don't know if it's been clearly mentioned yet, but the game is essentially the core continuation of Enemy Territory and Quake Wars, so some really nice non-standard, objective-based teamplay. Favorite part was the Mirror's Edge like SMART button to scale walls and dash around corners, getting into position for a firefight very quickly. I'm also so glad all versions are in house this time, because the console versions of Quake Wars left much to be desired.

Shnookums

Aaron said:
Sat in on the presentation, and I don't know if it's been clearly mentioned yet, but the game is essentially the core continuation of Enemy Territory and Quake Wars, so some really nice non-standard, objective-based teamplay. Favorite part was the Mirror's Edge like SMART button to scale walls and dash around corners, getting into position for a firefight very quickly. I'm also so glad all versions are in house this time, because the console versions of Quake Wars left much to be desired.

YESSSSSssss

PacoDG

snippet of Binge Gamer preview from E3

The first thing we noticed when we got into the game was that the damn thing, even at this early stage in development, has a gorgeous art style. On one end, the train station where Splash Damage demonstrated the SMART system (more on that in just a second) was clean, crisp and vibrant in color. On the other hand, the docks where the demo took place looked run down, dirty and dank — like any refugee city. The visual style has many comic book-like elements, but still manages to maintain its own uniqueness. Of course, the final product is still far from complete and the end game could wind up looking like Super Realistic Post-Apocalyptic Shooter or something, so I really should refrain from gushing but… damn, it looked pretty.

Now, SMART — it stands for “Smooth Movement Across Random Terrain” and basically allows you to navigate anywhere in the world environment. You see, it’s designed to scan the terrain around you for ledges, cliffs, crates and anything else that can be climbed, descented, crawled under or shimmied across. In action, it looked a little like Mirror’s Edge (only fun), and it allows for the world to be explored and navigated in ways that lets players complete objectives through various different means.

Danneee

As someone might have mentioned, the art is awesome!
Reminds me a bit of Crackdown but with a tad more personality.

agaru

Spider_Jerusalem said:
No gameplay at Quakecon? I'll see it at Cologne, but I hoped to see some gameplay from quakecon...
I think you're correct. They will demo it live at QuakeCon too:

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59897
FRIDAY - AUGUST 14
1:00pm - 2:00pm - Main Stage
Brink First Public Demonstration
Previously shown only to media and behind closed doors, Splash Damage CEO and game director, Paul Wedgwood, will offer the first public, live gameplay demonstration of the highly anticipated first-person shooter from Bethesda Softworks and Splash Damage, Brink along with a Q&A.
That's today. Can't wait!

LaneDS

Looks neat, the characters are like an odd hybrid of TF2 and Timesplitters 2 (both of which already mentioned), and look rather cool at the same time.

And I like Splash Damage, so yeah, thumbs up.

Nachkebia said:
I love how it looks, I have faith that it will have nice twist and it wont be another fps shooter......

It is a first person shooter (shooter), but apparently does some very creative things with movement. Sounds almost like a multiplayer mirror's edge with better guns.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
WHOAguitarninja said:
It is a first person shooter (shooter), but apparently does some very creative things with movement. Sounds almost like a multiplayer mirror's edge with better guns.
Also, singleplayer, multiplayer, and co-op are all combined in some really interesting ways.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
proposition said:
Is 'virtual texturing' the technical name for MegaTexture?
Kind of. To my understanding, virtual texturing is the process you use in order to use the MegaTexture itself.

Top Bottom