• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda broke their promise that Fallout 76 microtransactions would be cosmetic only

I think Bethesda really has become a slimy garbage company over the last year or so, haven't they? How did they ever let themselves sink this low?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Try a lot longer than that.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/dont-buy-the-hype.175874/

It's just the casuals that started turning on them recently, but we've been ripping them since Oblivion.
I only skimmed the early part of his post where he wants a true sequel to Fallout 1. But his post was from 2007 before I think Fallout 3 came out and F3 was a great game though way different than the iso-top games from the 90s. And it doesn't look like he likes Oblivion compared to the old 90s ES games.

That poster from 12 years ago seems like a traditional gamer. Probably likes turn based WWII sims and text baseball games to boot.

On one hand, if Fallout and ES/Skyrim games are selling way more than the old games, Bethesda is doing something right. Their 3D approach to their RPGs which is now realtime (or VATS) gameplay seems to click a lot more than turn based Fallout games from 1998.

Change of the times. If Bethesda kept making Fallout games looking and playing like 1998, it wouldn't sell. And microtrans/DLC is something just about every game does now. Wasteland 2 came out to great reviews, $30, and turn based. A classic series old time gamers played and heard about. I don't see too many people buying millions of copies of it or talking about it anywhere.

The one thing that holds true which Bethesda never improved upon is the bugginess of their games. This has always been true..... although I never played their recent action games like Doom/Dishonored (so maybe those are put together well), but RPGs have always been clunky where it's all about scope over polish. ES: Arena was just as bad, and Wayne Gretzky Hockey games in 1990 were the buggiest sports game ever made. I can make an encyclopedia on how sketcky those games were put together.

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

Pay to win is disgusting and shows complete contempt for your customers. You will be banned for cheating but if you pay Bethesda it's perfectly fine.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They are at rock bottom with goodwill already, so why not ride that shit-wave in hopes to sucker enough whale revenue.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Agree to disagree. I put in over 1000 hours in Fallout 3 since release.

What's that got to do with 76 and pay to win? I also liked Fallout 3 a lot. It came out 11 years ago, though. Ah, you were probably just responding to Virex, ignore me

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Has become? They’ve always been garbage with all due respect to the Glitchesda fans here. Cheap fuckers that kept on milking their broken shit while having lots of money to make a new proper engine instead of their current stone age garbage.

Ozrimandias

What they have done with the Fallout franchise is almost criminal, disrectpectfull.
I loved Fallout and what it have become it really pisses me off.

In fact, i have more hate on bethesda that i ever have with Konami.

I'd rather not sit through 10 minutes of YongYea slowly reading news articles so if someone would post a summary I'd appreciate it.

Mr Branding

They are going to butcher TES VI, aren't they ?

giphy-downsized.gif

Ramzy

I'd rather not sit through 10 minutes of YongYea slowly reading news articles so if someone would post a summary I'd appreciate it.

Bethsoft stated, many times before release, that MTX would be relegated to nothing but cosmetics and that you would never be able to gain an edge by spending money.

In the most recent valentines event they put $8 skins up for sale that provided a 15 point stat boost to your health. If all four party members wore the skins, you’d all receive a 60 point health stat boost. The event was run for a single week, and therefore players who have been playing the game for a long while who are no longer being awarded a healthy stream of atoms (premium store currency), are basically incentivised (or forced) to pay for the skins with real cash in order to enjoy the event and the sizeable stat boost that the skins provide.

Of the four (or five, I can’t remmber) skins that were up for sale, only one could be earned through natural gameplay. All the others required purchasing via the atom store.

So basically players could pay for stat boosts.

Last edited:
So, what are the details for people who can't sit through that video?

Edit: See Ramzy Ramzy 's post. Thanks. Yeah saw those. Not even the worst thing that was data mined if I remember right.

Last edited:
Anyone still with this game after all the shit is really dedicated and loyal. I will never know that level of dedication in my life.

MC Safety

Buy the product not the hype is the best advice you'll ever receive right this minute.

This applies to Kickstarter, where you have to realize you are funding development and not buying a game. It applies to all game releases, because game developer promises are often impossible to keep. Sometimes the promises are wishful thinking, other times they're misstatements, and sometimes, yes, they're complete and total BS.

Fbh

They are at rock bottom with goodwill already, so why not ride that shit-wave in hopes to sucker enough whale revenue.

Yep.
The game already failed and the goodwill towards them is still rock bottom so I guess they just decided to make the most money from it while there's still people playing

Phobia

So, what are the details for people who can't sit through that video?

Edit: See Ramzy Ramzy 's post. Thanks. Yeah saw those. Not even the worst thing that was data mined if I remember right.

Bethesda promised all MT's for the game would be strictly cosmetic with zero p2w mechanics, but then for a week they released costumes based on superhero characters from FO4 like Silver Shroud with boost attached to the costumes, but the perks were only available for a limited time and now they're selling the costumes with zero buffs attached, so the people that didn't get the stuff are at a disadvantage to those who were able to get them.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So you're saying gamers should give up fighting that bullshit?
Pretty much. It's in every game and every publisher brags about record digital revenue, and that's game sales and microtrans. Not going away. In fact, it's getting bigger.

You might not like digital nickel and diming, just like I don't either. But there seems to be a crapload of gamers who are contributing to it, so who are we to say it's no good when there's clearly people who do it. Few people will admit they do it, but billions $$$ of microtrans/DLC sales are real.

Last edited:

LMJ

What's a real shame this is, it has been almost nothing but bad news, in Bethesda continues to Double Down I don't know if I've ever seen a company make so many bad decisions one after the other but I don't know if they have any Goodwill left it's funny because this is not the first time something like this has happened.

For those who remember Final Fantasy online also launched in a fairly poor state, pathetic graphics, terribly and limited systems, limits on the days and hours you can play...

Squareenix did a complete and total reboot of the game, not only did they completely get rid of all the broken issues listening to their fans , they even tied it into the story they also improved upon them considerably and now many people love Final Fantasy online

This is proof that an online game that is fundamentally broken and has major issues can ultimately be fixed if you listen to the people who play!

Sadly, Bethesda has time and time again proven that they are more interested in milking their small consumer base as it is for every penny they possibly can instead...

With all respect I don't know if I can ever buy a game from Bethesda again after this they have shown nothing but disdain for their customer base and quite frankly it's pretty disgusting as a gamer.

Phobia

Taking bets, when is FO76 gonna go F2P?/QUOTE]

I don't know about F2P, but this will for sure be on Gamepass within 3 months. I uninstalled and have no desire to ever play again. Shame because I was initially very hyped for it and then the beta happened. Still went through with my purchase because I believed they would fix the game, but they didn't.

I am convinced that Bethesda is no longer capable of programming their way out of a paper bag.

They have some artists, designers, and that's it. The engine does the rest for them. Elder Scrolls 6 might as well be made in RPG maker.

Last edited:

Ramzy

Nah nah nah I don't want that game pass shit. I want threat level midnight "we're going to go out of business if this keeps up, how do we turn a profit on this turd" level F2P. I want to see Bethsoft suffering for their complete and utter ineptitude.

Perhaps then it'll force them to rethink their strategy for TES6, because so far they have literally not made a single good decision with 76. It's been one controversy after another.

I'm helping your poor souls

You know in another thread there's a discussion about a guy who has poured 900 hours into FO76 since it's release. As of today that would mean he was putting in 9 hours a day EVERY SINGLE DAY since November 14th.

That's real addiction. He definitely needs to go out.

1000 hours over 10 years is nothing. You spend more time on the toilet. Stop being dumb.

Last edited:
Top Bottom