• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda is being extremely shady about The Evil Within's PC framerate

Grief.exe

UPDATE 3: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1508448-the-evil-within-releases-next-week-things-to-know/

What's the status on the game's framerate and aspect ratio?

Shinji Mikami and the team at Tango designed The Evil Within to be played at 30fps and to utilize an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 for all platforms. The team has worked the last four years perfecting the game experience with these settings in mind. For PC players, we’ll provide debug commands on how you can alter the framerate and aspect ratio, but these commands and changes are not recommended or supported and we suggest everyone play the game as it was designed and intended for the best experience.

Does the game support 4K resolution?

Yes. The engine can go even higher if you’ve got a monitor and video card that supports it.

Can I disable the letterboxing?

The letterboxing (a 2:35:1 aspect ratio) is used for gameplay purposes, as certain elements display in the black areas of the screen. On PC, you can turn off the bars and force the game to render full-screen. However this option is not supported. We’re keeping the ability to turn off bars as a console-only command that we will share at launch

How can I turn on the debug console?

There will be a command-line option to enable the console. More at launch.

What can I do with the debug console?

Gameplay cheats, as well as advanced camera controls will all be available via console commands. More to come!

UPDATE 2

2QOCThQ.jpg

UPDATE 1: Cboat speaks

PC TEW caped 30 fps, not dev internaly by TNGO.
xtnrnl wosrkshop.

The console version has been confirmed for months to be running at 30 FPS, and reportedly the framerate is quite solid as well. On the other hand, Bethesda is being cagey about the framerate of the PC version. Either differing answers to a later date or flat out ignoring questions.

Bethesda senior producer Jason Bergman has deflected the question multiple times on Twitter. Indefinitely pushing back the answer. One to never back down, @OptimusNL continually presses the issue throughout the year, never getting an answer.

That is just one example. The reality is, Bethesda is refusing to answer the question even on multiple attempts through The Evil Within forums, Twitter, and other avenues to ascertain an answer.

Why should we care? The worst case scenario here is Bethesda is being intentionally obstinate in order to intentionally confuse consumers.The game is avaiable for pre-purchase right now, and many buyers are assuming the game at least aligns with minimum acceptable requirements for a PC game.
Best case scenario? Bethesda is attempting to draw attention away from the console versions' framerate.

Hopefully we can get the ball rolling on Twitter, so retweet my original or craft your own. Remember to be respectful when dealing with these professionals.

KDtAPMV.png

https://twitter.com/Grief_exe/status/519293883444772864

Key people (If you find anymore send them my way and I will add them to the list)

Pete Hines (@DCDeacon) - Vice President of Bethesda.
Jason Bergman (@jasonxbergman) - Senior Producer at Bethesda.
John Johanas (@Johnjohans) - Game designer at Tango Gameworks EDIT: https://twitter.com/johnjohanas/status/519294785727643650
Matt Grandstaff (@gstaffinfection) - Bethesda's community manager.
Bethesda Softworks (@Bethblog) - community manager frequently answers fan questions.
The Evil Within (@TheEvilWithin) - community manager frequently answers fan questions.

Varna

Yeah... no way I am buying this until it's released. I would have loved to support this day 1 too.

That's fucked up. How would it not be 60FPS on PC? But, if it is why is this dumb ass avoiding the question like it's something that should be a guarded secret?

legacyzero

Banned
Doesnt this game launch like next week??

Odd that they don't have an answer. This is not something you want people to find out on day one, Bethesda.

I have little confidence in this port. The blog post and responses from the devs surrounding the recommended specs was all kind of weird. Refusing to discuss minimum specs. Reiterating 4GB VRAM as critical for an acceptable experience.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Have they even gotten it up to 30 fps on consoles yet? Framerate for this game has always looked rough.

Grief.exe

Why did they use Id tech 5 then?

I forgot to go in depth into this for the OP, but Tango heavily modified the IdTech 5 engine to allow for 30 FPS output.

Prior ID5 games were locked to 60 FPS, any deviation from this would cause issues as the game was directly tied to the framerate. Potentially terrible ramifications if the game is permanently locked to 30 FPS at this point.

Doesnt this game launch like next week??

Yep.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I am interested in this game, but if it's locked to 30 fps it's a no buy for me.

so youre not interested in the game, youre interested in a tech demo, gotcha

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I forgot to go in depth into this for the OP, but Tango heavily modified the IdTech 5 engine to allow for 30 FPS output.

Prior ID5 games were locked to 60 FPS, any deviation from this would cause issues as the game was directly tied to the framerate. Potentially terrible ramifications if the game is permanently locked to 30 FPS at this point.

wooha.

wasn't the sole purpose of id-tech 5 and it's shitty megatextures is to run on 60fps on old hardware... and they change it to run at 30fps. WTH

if there was issues with id-tech 5 that Tango needed to heavily mod it then Bethesda should've let them use another engine like (Arkane going UE3 for Dishonored then CE3 for their next game) from the start.

drotahorror

I'm prepared for the worst. locked 30fps, locked 1080p resolution, and little graphics options if any (low, med, high, ultra - 1 graphic setting controls them all).

Varg

Banned
I would be disappointed if it's 30 fps but it wouldn't make me sway my purchase. This game looks too good to pass up.

I remember way back when Carmack was talking about Doom 4 targetting 30fps single player, so I don't know about needing to modify the engine for 30fps?

I'm pretty sure we all know what to expect here... 30fps locked with minimal graphics options. The silence is damning. Hopefully it's easily "fixed" by a good samaritan.

I'm a little tired of the framerate/resolution nitpickery happening this gen to be honest. I mean locked 30 is perfectly playable. 60 is great but I'm not gonna passon a game iI'm actually interested in over it.

impact

Banned
I don't get this.

What is there to not get? Supporting 30fps locks on PC is not something many people want to do. I probably wouldn't even pick it up at $5-10 if it was 30fps locked on PC.

I'm a little tired of the framerate/resolution nitpickery happening this gen to be honest. I mean locked 30 is perfectly playable. 60 is great but I'm not gonna passon a game iI'm actually interested in over it.

You could just not enter any thread that has to do with technical aspects of a game. As members of a gaming forum we like to discuss these things even if it makes you tired. Thanks :)

Fuck it gaf smash 'em, mash 'em and let him have it.

I don't even know why I laughed so hard at this. gj toy soldier

Renekton

People have different thresholds and preferences. Some cannot tolerate sub-60 framerate, which I don't think is shallow.

(Myself I'm fine with 25-30fps on consoles, but will do anything include sexual favors to keep 60 on PC)

~Kinggi~

Banned
I would be fine if my 770 ran this at 30 fps 1080p. Not fine if its anything less than that. Obviously thrilled if it is higher than that.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Most people don't play games on PC for the sake of having ridiculous tech limits forced onto them.

thats not the part he doesnt get. its the part where someone would rather not play the game AT ALL because its not the version that doesnt exist

edit: that is of course, if a 60fps version doesnt exist. which we dont know

"Cheers!...Though Wolfenstein is 60FPS and looks graphically better. I guess not every dev team is equal."

Really? Is this person 5 years old?

That's fucked up. How would it not be 60FPS on PC? But, if it is why is this dumb ass avoiding the question like it's something that should be a guarded secret?

I imagine they are working on a day one patch to improve perf so maybe they don't know the exact number at the moment. There could also be a manager/senior person kiboshing any discussion until the game is out, we'll probably never know why...

That being said they should have a ballpark idea since the game is out soon and their silence speaks volumes as to it probably not being 60. If people flat out ask them and they don't give an answer, don't buy the game until you know if that really matters, IMO.

I'm interested in this game but I need to see some reviews and GAF feedback before I jump in. Maybe its my Resident Evil 6 fear

epmode

We're talking about the PC version, friend. Enforcing arbitrary framerate restrictions when high end PC hardware is well above console hardware is pretty silly.

Ysiadmihi

Banned

Perfectly playable to you, maybe. I can't stand 30fps and it's only tolerable on console because I know I don't have a choice. Any dev who caps at 30 on PC isn't getting my money.

Zoned

Actively hates charity

We play games on PC to get away with forced requirements thrown in console versions, and purposely locking 30FPS is a shitty thing to do. If someone has the system to play 60FPS then it should run at 60FPS.

Top Bottom