• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda Pete Hines: "E3 needs to be something all of us support".

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Bethesda believes E3 is a really important event for the games industry, and it has called upon its fellow publishers to unite to secure its future.

Pete Hines, senior vice president of global marketing and communications at Bethesda, is aware that there are differing views on what E3 should be, but he says the industry needs to get together to decide its future, and then back it.

"I think it's a really important show for our industry," he tells GamesIndustry.biz. "I think there needs to be a lot of discussion between all of the companies on how this looks going forward.

"Part of my thing is, if we are going to do it as an industry, then we need to be into it. We can't have everybody deciding to go off in their own little directions to do this or that. I think folks need to be here, they need to participate. If we have to change the size or scope of that... okay. But I want it to be something that all of us, as an industry, get together and support. And have it be something that's positive and sustainable.

"It's not a very specific answer, but I don't think I am the guy to solve what it should be, either. I do just want us to figure out a way for us to walk together, and a way that achieves everybody's objectives as best as possible."

Hines continues: "We are the greatest form of entertainment on the planet. It's a great chance to put a spotlight on a great industry. We should not underestimate the importance of that. We are bigger than the sum of our parts when we come together for something like E3."

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Nah. Big publishers should just have their own events/streams when things are ready to show like Nintendo does with Directs. Get rid of conferences with set dates that lead to crunch to get trailers and demos (which are usually only available on the show floor rather than put online for all) read, which leads to crunch to make release date due to development pauses while producing that conference material.

Publishers can get more spotlight having their own isolated even vs. things getting lost in the shuffle during E3 when few outside the hardcore gamer crowd watch, or even read about, it all.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
People seem to forget, or not know, that E3 is run by the ESA, which is the video game industries lobbying group. So publishers do need E3 in that it funds the ESA and supports their interests far beyond that show.

Last edited:
Nah. Big publishers should just have their own events/streams when things are ready to show like Nintendo does with Directs. Get rid of conferences with set dates that lead to crunch to get trailers and demos (which are usually only available on the show floor rather than put online for all) read, which leads to crunch to make release date due to development pauses while producing that conference material.

Publishers can get more spotlight having their own isolated even vs. things getting lost in the shuffle during E3 when few outside the hardcore gamer crowd watch, or even read about, it all.

I agree. We have E3, GDC, TGS, PAX, SDCC, Blizzcon, etc. Then we have the award show(s) and all that jazz. It's great for marketing and that's all these events are for - marketing - but I think we need to trim the fat a little. And by a little, I mean a lot.

anthraticus

Banned
Who's worse.....Toddler or this clown ?

WnJmJD.gif
WnJseq.png

How about you and your cronies start supporting E3 by not showing up with mobile games, shit conferences and Wall-to-wall CGI movies you pass off as 'game trailers'.

We tune in to see games. If we wanted to see cgi trailers we would watch them on YouTube.

Step up to the plate, or go bollox. It's your choice, not ours.

StormCell

How about you and your cronies start supporting E3 by not showing up with mobile games, shit conferences and Wall-to-wall CGI movies you pass off as 'game trailers'.

We tune in to see games. If we wanted to see cgi trailers we would watch them on YouTube.

Step up to the plate, or go bollox. It's your choice, not ours.

I used to tune in for the stage presentations, even if it was mostly geared towards stakeholders and media hobos. I do miss those big reveals on the stage screen.

But Nintendo has really had a winner with their E3 Directs. It's kind of hard to suggest they go back to big long stage presentations.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I used to tune in for the stage presentations, even if it was mostly geared towards stakeholders and media hobos. I do miss those big reveals on the stage screen.

But Nintendo has really had a winner with their E3 Directs. It's kind of hard to suggest they go back to big long stage presentations.

I remember the LAST Nintendo conference. I was there at the Nokia theater with Ed Boone sitting next to me (that was the most magical Work trip EVER!) ... It was pretty good but the next year when they started doing the directs, it was nice a middle ground... We were all herded into the Nintendo booth and watched the Direct... Standing up the whole time... And then Reggie came up and talked some and then all had our chances to interview the game directors and demo the games at the same time before the show floor officially opened for everyone else.

Lilseb93

It's hard to defend E3 anymore when most conferences are mediocre or bad and the winners are done through a Direct. Like if I spent the money to go to California, I'd expect to see more than just CGI trailers and bland conferences. If I wasn't such a big gamer who likes to watch everything at E3, I could have easily skipped the shows and just watched these trailers on You Tube.

StormCell

I remember the LAST Nintendo conference. I was there at the Nokia theater with Ed Boone sitting next to me (that was the most magical Work trip EVER!) ... It was pretty good but the next year when they started doing the directs, it was nice a middle ground... We were all herded into the Nintendo booth and watched the Direct... Standing up the whole time... And then Reggie came up and talked some and then all had our chances to interview the game directors and demo the games at the same time before the show floor officially opened for everyone else.

I had opportunities to go for a few years, but being a college student with just enough money to live I never made the trip. Would've helped, of course, if all my expenses were being covered! It was a truly special event back in the early 2000s and before. I wish I would have thrown caution to the wind and just gone. I bet you got to meet a lot of huge industry people.

ruvikx

Banned
It's a marketing event where hype professionals beat people over the head with their products, whether good or bad. Anthem for example was one of the "games of the show" in 2018 according to the so-called respectable game critics awards. Publishers love E3 because they can subject the viewer to an entirely controlled event where everything is made to look exactly as the salesmen want.

Fast forward to release day & a whole load of these games (including Bethesda's recent releases) bite the dust in terms of public reception. So do I believe E3 is "important"? Sure, but only when taken as a sort of nerdy, geeky fun spectacle where people in suits (or shorts) shill their product & beg for preorders.

People seem to forget, or not know, that E3 is run by the ESA, which is the video game industries lobbying group. So publishers do need E3 in that it funds the ESA and supports their interests far beyond that show.

to be fair. they are the ones that pay for e3 lol. because they run ESA. so your comment doesnt make any sense

Ozrimandias

These statements confirm my suspicions, the relationship of Bethesda & Sony is bad. Bethesda is very frontal in alluding to Sony when they are in disagreement ... that seems to me unfair, the port of Bethesda games in the consoles of Sony have been of a horrible quality, the way in which they have treated its audience is also disrespectful.
His conference, mediocre, was an ode to self-complacency, ignoring the failures of a game that should had never been published in the status it was.

Hinedorf

Banned
Considering Bathesda's last great game was in 2012, he should have much bigger priorities than who is showing up at E3.

Devovler Digital and Nintendo with the Directs is how conferences should be done now. Use places such as PAX, Sony Experience to have hands on and discussions with devs but E3 is meh.

Orta

Banned
I'd miss all the hype and overblown bullshit if e3 disappeared I must confess.

Saying that this years event was a non-event.

DonF

It's official, E3 is dying soon
yep, with streaming and current communication technologies its not necessary. I'm perfectly fine with nintendo's direct style videos for information. The only important thing is the date.

I know that lots of business meetings take place in e3, but as a show with big conferences, its just not really that important anymore.

Texas Pride

Banned
Translation is. Our software is unoptimized shit on Playstation and since Sony didn't attend we didn't have the opportunity to con their customers into buying our unoptimized pieces of shit.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
E3 costs money. it doesnt generate money
So you are claiming that it costs more for the ESA to hold the event than they recoup from fees from attendees and participants? I say you are wrong, but feel free to bring some facts showing the ESA loses money on E3.

Mista

Banned
How about you actually support E3 properly first before telling people to do so? GTFO with your garbage mate

quest

Not Banned from OT
No thanks I'm not following 50 companies for their directs. Give me E3 anytime I can plan around it. Not oops missed something because I don't use Twitter to get a schedule.

JCK75

I'll side with him if we make showing mobile games more frowned upon than streaking across the main stage.

CyberPanda

Banned
E3 needs to go into a dumpster fire. Fuck you Bethesda.
E3 generates money for the ESA. Regardless where the money comes from, my comment makes perfect sense.
They make enough money from loot boxes, DLC and other bullshit. They just want this shit going on and on so they can pander, and have executives stand on stage showing CGI trailers with rap music, and then shove snake oil down our throats.

Top Bottom