• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda Removed Denuvo From The Evil Within 2 Before The Release

NeoRaider

Still not 100% confirmed, but it looks like game doesn't contain any Denuvo files. And it was announced and confirmed that it will use Denuvo not long ago.
Game is already cracked.

It looks like Denuvo is done.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

jediyoshi

Woof, I'd like to see the math their math people did to figure that it was cheaper to release the game and incur whatever their piracy rates might be to keeping Denuvo and paying for it.

Chobel

Still not 100% confirmed, but it looks like game doesn't contain any Denuvo files. And it was announced and confirmed that it will use Denuvo not long ago.
Game is already cracked.

It looks like Denuvo is done.

Holy shit! The game is not even out lol

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Shameless self-quote:

The lack of Denuvo might be unintentional. The original executable depot was replaced with a new one, so it's possible somebody used the wrong executable when creating it. The damage has been done, though, so there'd be no point in fixing the mistake.

Kudo

Good if true.

We won. (With the help of crackers obviously, good job.)

We lost, as far as I know Denuvo is one of the most unintrusive DRMs so I don't quite understand the hate against it.
Publishers just got another excuse to start rootkitting our games again, we'll see how it goes, but I really don't see the "DRM Free Future" playing out so well some people like to imagine.

Woof, I'd like to see the math their math people did to figure that it was cheaper to release the game and incur whatever their piracy rates might be to keeping Denuvo and paying for it.

It's going to sell roughly 12 copies so I guess they decided there was no point annoying their hardcore fans.

CuNi

And I remember not even two years ago people were posting articles and think pieces that "No you guys China is done cracking games this one really is never going to get cracked"

That's what happens once there is no new DRM for ages and crackers take it for granted to get the job easily done. Once a good DRM gets released again, they notice their skills arent that up 2 date as they thought they would be.

BiggNife

And I remember not even two years ago people were posting articles and think pieces that "No you guys China is done cracking games this one really is never going to get cracked"

There was definitely a point where it seemed like Denuvo was winning. I remember early on, Denuvo games weren't getting cracked for months if at all.

IIRC there was a turning point about a year ago and then the floodgates opened.

No Denuvo just raised my intent to buy this game by at least 50%.
But I gotta play the first game first. Still I'm really looking forward to this one.

We lost, as far as I know Denuvo is one of the most unintrusive DRMs so I don't quite understand the hate against it.
Publishers just got another excuse to start rootkitting our games again, we'll see how it goes, but I really don't see the "DRM Free Future" playing out so well some people like to imagine.

And that will be defeated too.

We KNOW DRM doesn´t work. It´s just bulletpoint shareholders can jerk off to.

Hektor

Wow, now pirates will play all copies until there are none left for the honest people anymore and two years from now every game will use always online DRM, GG NO RE PC """GAMERS"""

Venfayth

I bet this is a trick. Some sort of DRM backdoor that fills everyones games with DRM scorpions after a few days have gone by or something.

Kudo

Have you really tried understanding it? Because it's explained in every thread we have about the subject.

I've tried, but haven't really seen anyone giving any facts other than the kind of sketchy online check but even that was apparently left for the publishers to decide?
The whole SSD and performance stuff was made up as from what I see there isn't noticeable performance upgrade in games after removing Denuvo.
So it sometimes leaves me pondering where does the hate come from, sure I don't like DRM either but I'd rather have something as unintrusive as Denuvo than another Starforce or something of that sort. Maybe it's a YMMV thing, I never had any issue with Denuvo but I might have just gotten lucky with it.

Nyoro SF

Good for them. It doesn't stop the pirates, a waste of money, and now your normal consumers have a ticking expiration date.

Bowl0l

I've tried, but haven't really seen anyone giving any facts other than the kind of sketchy online check but even that was apparently left for the publishers to decide?
The whole SSD and performance stuff was made up as from what I see there isn't noticeable performance upgrade in games after removing Denuvo.
So it sometimes leaves me pondering where does the hate come from, sure I don't like DRM either but I'd rather have something as unintrusive as Denuvo than another Starforce or something of that sort. Maybe it's a YMMV thing, I never had any issue with Denuvo but I might have just gotten lucky with it.
The least intrusive method is selling it at Steam, where pirates can only moan because their profile shows they don't own the game but they want software support?

Kudo

The least intrusive method is selling it at Steam, where pirates can only moan because their profile shows they don't own the game but they want software support?

So your solution is releasing broken games then patching them later and hoping pirates buy the game for easier patching?
Not really feeling it.. Pointing out that they don't even "own" the game at Steam means nothing, they got the game for free and if it isn't completely broken, I'm pretty sure they'll be having a good time with it, with or without random people judging them.

Awesome, wasn't going to buy the game day one but now I am. Please do the same for Dishonored 2/Prey. Those games have been bypassed for like 9 months now.

What do you mean by "sketchy" online check there? It's there, Denuvo need to authorize your purchase for you to get access to it, and your continued access to the game is depedent on them keeping their servers online.

It doesn't really matter "if it's left up to the devs to decide it", if all games with Denuvo use it.

That, and the effect of GOG releases not being an option at all for Denuvo games, are my main concerns with it. Those are two facts about Denuvo that directly affects me as a paying customer. It's two thing that you might not agree matter, but they should be pretty simple to understand at least, as an explanation as to why we don't like it.

Here's a handy summary post if you need it as well.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=247304620#post247304620

Don't buy into the "it could be worse" argument at all. If you don't accept the publishers packaging their product this bad, they might package even worse? Well, up yours then, dear publishers and devs with that mentality. I don't have to chose between two bad options, when other companies are selling their games as I want it.

Unfortunately the misinformation about SSDs and performance (RiME was a poor implementation) overshadowed the legitimate reasons to hate Denuvo.... Which is a shame because there's more than enough to condemn it with that has a basis in reality.

The moment Denuvo forgets to pay their AWS bill, your authentication tickets will be on a timer. 30 days, then these legitimate purchases will become unplayable. That's assuming you launched it recently too. If you haven't, you won't have an authentication ticket and you're screwed. That's the nefarious thing about Denuvo. Yeah, it's the most unintrusive DRM ever created, but every game that includes it is a ticking time bomb waiting to go off (which is a shame because the overwhelming majority of titles have been cracked for years meaning it's literally useless to the publisher at this point).

Bring back securom, that used to be a bitch back in the days.

It's funny you mention SecuROM, because the people behind Denuvo were behind that too (and look at how long it was supported, six years).

Top Bottom