• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda Was “Surprised How Few People Wanted to Take Part in PvP” in Fallout 76

Barakov

Gold Member
I'm surprised Bethesda didn't notice that people maybe just wanted an online version in the same vein of FO3 and 4. Also, I'm baffled it took this long for NPCs to be added to the game.

Appleprosy

I just need a Bethesda and Ubisoft enema. I need to detox after Fallout 4 and Fary Cry 5. I will use my time elsewhere... until we get THE ULTIMATE SKYRIM GOLD EDITION CRATE LEGENDARY BOX for PS5, right?

Appleprosy

I'm afraid we're all out of those. Would you settle for an EA and Activision fecal transplant?

COOL-BEANS.gif

abcdrstuv

Banned
Realized with the gamified PvP conversation idea I was dimly thinking of a system like the one Klei is working on for Griftlands - https://www.klei.com/games/griftlands - cards, or some equivalent, could work well.. maybe you find etiquette books scattered in the world that give you "lines" and ways to relate/emote

You could also do a kind of grid-based tug of war or "Battleship" style mechanic where different conversational gambits work or fail, as you're trying to discover information about each other (Stats, inventory, etc.).. and/or maybe each player has meters based on real-time stats (fatigue, radiation) and their reputation stats, like, "relaxation/annoyance/irritation/anger", "interest/curiosity/boredom/indifference", "stinginess/skepticism/openness/desire/greed", that you try to shift towards one end while keeping your own away from the other..

Just... something.. other than completely unstructured chat or pow pow pwned as the only programmed gameplay options..

Like, multiplayer interaction is cool in theory, because one of the most "Fallout" aspects of the brand is the sense of moving through a dangerous world and interacting with characters who are more or less trustworthy, with their own motives.. if you structured a way to enact that dynamic with real people, you could make the game exponentially more interesting..

Like, maybe encountering someone outside a hub, the options are "Hail/Wave/Ignore", you can also ignore, or "insist" to someone who ignores you, wave back or wave away (politely acknowledge/decline), or hail back/respond, or duel, all with impact on reputation stats - if you both "hail", you can like, warn/threaten or challenge, welcome or gift, propose trades, item requests, contracts, and opt in to fight or to "parlay" - and "parlay" introduces the conversation/negotiation game/'combat' mechanics, where you can put any of your items, item requests, caps, cards, weapons, stat points, contracts ("help defend x", "fetch fifteen y"), quest requests ("go clear out place x") in play (maybe you can specify some of your inventory as "off the table", some on the table, and some unknown - available but not visible) and then try to entice/bait/outnegotiate each other into getting none, some, more or all of what you want - guessing about the unknowns, playing emote/talk "cards" or moves, revealing information about your unknowns, and giving away some in order to move the other person's meter.. and maybe there are nuclear options (rob, cheat, try to change deal, surrender/fold/exit early) that have moderate to big reputation hits (and impact your stats negatively the next time you parlay with someone)

Well-balanced and meshed with the gameplay, not its own huge heavy thing, it could add another layer to peer interactions, another opportunity to "create stories"

Realized with the gamified PvP conversation idea I was dimly thinking of a system like the one Klei is working on for Griftlands - https://www.klei.com/games/griftlands - cards, or some equivalent, could work well.. maybe you find etiquette books scattered in the world that give you "lines" and ways to relate/emote

You could also do a kind of grid-based tug of war or "Battleship" style mechanic where different conversational gambits work or fail, as you're trying to discover information about each other (Stats, inventory, etc.).. and/or maybe each player has meters based on real-time stats (fatigue, radiation) and their reputation stats, like, "relaxation/annoyance/irritation/anger", "interest/curiosity/boredom/indifference", "stinginess/skepticism/openness/desire/greed", that you try to shift towards one end while keeping your own away from the other..

Just... something.. other than completely unstructured chat or pow pow pwned as the only programmed gameplay options..

Like, multiplayer interaction is cool in theory, because one of the most "Fallout" aspects of the brand is the sense of moving through a dangerous world and interacting with characters who are more or less trustworthy, with their own motives.. if you structured a way to enact that dynamic with real people, you could make the game exponentially more interesting..

Like, maybe encountering someone outside a hub, the options are "Hail/Wave/Ignore", you can also ignore, or "insist" to someone who ignores you, wave back or wave away (politely acknowledge/decline), or hail back/respond, or duel, all with impact on reputation stats - if you both "hail", you can like, warn/threaten or challenge, welcome or gift, propose trades, item requests, contracts, and opt in to fight or to "parlay" - and "parlay" introduces the conversation/negotiation game/'combat' mechanics, where you can put any of your items, item requests, caps, cards, weapons, stat points, contracts ("help defend x", "fetch fifteen y"), quest requests ("go clear out place x") in play (maybe you can specify some of your inventory as "off the table", some on the table, and some unknown - available but not visible) and then try to entice/bait/outnegotiate each other into getting none, some, more or all of what you want - guessing about the unknowns, playing emote/talk "cards" or moves, revealing information about your unknowns, and giving away some in order to move the other person's meter.. and maybe there are nuclear options (rob, cheat, try to change deal, surrender/fold/exit early) that have moderate to big reputation hits (and impact your stats negatively the next time you parlay with someone)

Well-balanced and meshed with the gameplay, not its own huge heavy thing, it could add another layer to peer interactions, another opportunity to "create stories"
Oh yeah?

Kenpachii

In other news.

Bethesda "players didn't bought our game, so that means gaming and entertainment aren't something people want anymore."

dat 90's publisher logic.

Last edited:

Paasei

I'm still surprised why this game isn't a full on SP game and functions like the older Fallout games and TES games do. Also where are my mods? I would love to explore this world, but the fact that they had to change major aspects of what makes these games fun for the sake of MP, just kills it for me. It's understandable (especially if everything does just work), but it would then lack the experience I'm looking for in these games.

I just have to look for some actual proper gameplay to see if it's now a worthy SP game with all the aspects of F3/NV and F4.

Last edited:
Wow, you're telling me that a series where the vast majority of people I know that have played through 3, New Vegas, and 4, whose primary combat option was always the rifles to attack enemies from as far away as possible due to the jank in the combat, had very few people engage in PVP combat in its first multiplayer outing which had virtually no effort put in to remove that jank?

Shocked.

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

Wow, you're telling me that a series where the vast majority of people I know that have played through 3, New Vegas, and 4, their primary combat option was always the rifles to attack enemies from as far away as possible due to the jank in the combat, had very few people engage in PVP combat in its first multiplayer outing which had virtually no effort put in to remove that jank?

Shocked.
Exactly! Doom Slayer or Vault Hunter your character is not. Your charcter is a slow, unagile lumbering oaf that gets winded after a few seconds of running .Add in a bit of lag and frame drops that a big hell no thank you . Maybe the PC version is better

Moogle11

Banned
I don’t see why they thought people would want it. Fallout, like most RPGs, was a game played by many single-player gamers who don’t like MP games or gamers who play those kind of things to get a break from MP.

dorkimoe

Started playing basically for the first time, I enjoy the game a lot..but i also dont play with anyone. i dont need to, and dont want to. The combat in fallout is not good enough for multiplayer, and hell its barely good enough for single player, I shoot things and it takes a few seconds for it to register their health dropping.

I may try that nuclear winter thing today. All i want is a 60fps smooth fallout experience someday :( and singleplayer with this great looking map

Last edited:

SCB3

I don't know what they expected? Most players used VATS, that is purely only usable for PVE tbh

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Picked this up for the wife and I. Grabbed fallout 1rst for both of us too. We are playing on our own server and having a GREAT time. PvE with her is the exact way I wanted to play fallout 76. Why bethesda wasted their time doing anything other than a co-op fallout game is beyond me.

Its pretty damn fun now though.

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
What are the odds that Starfield is a great game? I feel like the studio just doesn't care much anymore. Their games gave been getting consistently worse over time. More and more shortcuts. An outright refusal to develop a new engine, etc.

I feel that the problem isn't how good the game is right now, but rather how many other choices are out there. it's fine that the game fucked up on release, plenty of other games did. hell, look at FFXIV. but the problem is, once you fucked up, you'll have to work REALLY hard to earn people's trust back. and from what I've read (I could be wrong of course since I never really have that much interest in the FallOut series, let alone the multiplayer version), outside of bug fix patches, the majority of QOL stuff had been behind paywall no? and since a lot of people only play Fallout/Skyrim for the single player experience, why should they at this time of age, get (back) into FO76? there's just so many other great games out there. again, not here to hate on Fallout since I do like the approach of FO3 and 4, but I really feel that going the "game as service" route is a big mistake for 76 (that and I still hold a grudge against Bethesda for starting the whole "useless pay DLC" thing with those horse armor).

I've been playing this for the past few weeks, and I think its a good game after the update.

Characters seem to be better written, and there's a lot of speech checks (meaningful ones, not just asking for caps) and choices.

None of the Fallout 4 voiced protagonist, dialog wheel, and "SHAUNNN!" crap. Better than that piece of shit Fallout 3 as well.

abcdrstuv

Banned
Finally started this up - for about an hour, before it shut down for maintenance.. The... "onboarding"(?) is unimaginative - there's nothing to do in the vault, none of the communications create urgency or build a world - the overseer tapes are ok - the pair standing around outside are totally arbitrary and out of place.. The bar is an ok point of orientation, but having two NPCs in it doesn't feel like much.

I like the survival aspect, assume it's balanced to be annoying but not punishing.. Started up a C.A.M.P., the space allotted is more generous than I expected..

So far, ok. Maybe a world I can dick around in - but it doesn't really seem built for that - the whole thing seems poorly conceived. Leveling up a camp with workstations, turrets, power etc. is in my wheelhouse.. but is there any other idle time stuff to do? Hunting, fishing, farming? Trade routes?

Since there were characters from the start, the tapes and computer logs are all good - but don't know how it'll all be balanced.

Combat is under-cooked, too - it's impossible to reproduce what works offline, but instead of reimagining it, they've just neutered it..

The emote wheel is well-designed, but what's the point? No gameplay impact, no consequences.. I know that's not unique to Bethesda, but if the idea is that you're wandering an unpopulated landscape, there could be more significance and risk to encountering another player..

It seems like they tried to keep the essence of Fallout but don't have any ideas for new, compelling shared-world gameplay.. The only substantial change is that you can't pause, you can't rest except in real-time, and it creates an impression of unpredictability..

And what will they do but add on new characters, quest lines, items, pets? It needs some deeper inspiration, new mechanics or systems.. but they're also probably enormously limited by their engine and can't do much.

LostDonkey

I was enjoying the game up until it asked be to build a base and craft some stuff then I uninstalled it.

Hate all that base building shite.

Same reason I quit that Zombie game on Xbox. All the little micromanagement drives me insane. Just let me play I don't want to worry about who's got enough food and fucking wood.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

I've played more, it's just.. a Fallout game. Without a plot. The formula is getting a little stale
There is a plot. It just takes the bloody scenic route to get there, or at least mostly drags its feet for anything interesting. Until Wastelanders it had only been delivered by robots, holos, terminals and notes, which was not engaging enough at all.

If they wanted a Fallout MMO they should of been upfront about it. Because that's basically what this was...an MMO in alpha on release.

abcdrstuv

Banned
There is a plot. It just takes the bloody scenic route to get there, or at least mostly drags its feet for anything interesting. Until Wastelanders it had only been delivered by robots, holos, terminals and notes, which was not engaging enough at all.

yeah, I imagine I would’ve hated it at launch..

but now I’m rooting for it to keep getting better.. the vendors are good, the workshop occupations are too ephemeral but could be turned into something more interesting... I think they should layer in AAA style mini games and content, like, hunting, fishing, uh, the ability to practice/train/level up and learn new/rare piano, banjo etc. songs you can play for other people for rewards (some kind of vendor bandshell combo?)...

And let camps or workshops or players “specialize” in 1-3 products, skills or commodities, so there’s a system where other players are more than just glorified NPC traders.. like, you know how to turn gold scraps into ore, or steel, but not both, or can make beer from anything, or whatever it is - balanced right it could add another layer

or you get one second property - mine, orchard, food processing plant, whatever - to run, develop, profit from, get unique quest lines

Didn't they also say that they were surprised to hear from "a few people on the internet" that Fallout 76 had a "few" glitches?

"A few glitches" in Fallout 76 is the most understatement of the century!

Last edited:
Top Bottom