• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda weren't sure if they wanted Dishonored 3, so we got Deathloop instead

oji-san

Banned
Yes i want more Dishonored. It's still Arkane best games imo, the setting alone and the mix of comabt and exploring is awesome, I love that the game doesn't punish you for makeing direct combat as i usually sucks at stealth, tho you get the bad endings if you kill too much but i wasn't too bothered by that.
So yes more Dishonored and Prey, Thanks, and 60fps also.:messenger_blowing_kiss:

The same people wanting Dishonored 3 are probably people who also complain that there are too many sequels in games and movies. It's not like they can't go back to Dishonored, and in the meantime we got a very good game in Deathloop.

april6e

Good because Deathloop was a refreshing breath of fresh air in a stale shooter genre and Dishonored 2 already perfectly wrapped up the series story wise. Forcing a third sequel for that series that would just be a rehash of the first two game would be boring.

I want a third game in the series but later down the road when they have something interesting they want to do with the gameplay and story.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I really enjoyed Deathloop, but a Dishonored 3 would have been better.

That being said, I want Prey 2 the most.

the-interview-ames-franco.gif

Prey has been my favorite Arkane game so far.

GymWolf

Good because Deathloop was a refreshing breath of fresh air in a stale shooter genre and Dishonored 2 already perfectly wrapped up the series story wise. Forcing a third sequel for that series that would just be a rehash of the first two game would be boring.

I want a third game in the series but later down the road when they have something interesting they want to do with the gameplay and story.
I can't think of anything that deathloop brought to the fps genre other than the multyplayer part that was indeed nice.

Enemies were brain dead and the shooting didn't felt right.

I would not even consider the game a shooter since most people probably played in stealth like the other arkane games.

I think dark messiah was their most action-y one.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It was always obvious that Deathloop was created to try to get more game out of less assets, and it never truly ended up being a roguelike or even this grandiose puzzle to figure out, but yet another immersive sim assassination game. That it also ended up costing as much as Dishonored 3 would have is some cosmic irony.

That said, I loved Deathloop and I don't need Arkane Lyon to be a one series team. Taking a break and resting it was smart, especially after Death of the Outsider, which I think was a poor decision.

Kurotri

"It would probably cost just as much to make Dishonored 3"
I want to slap the Bethesda exec who greenlit Deathloop so bad right now.. damn that's annoying

I really enjoyed Deathloop. It is connected to the Dishonored series, it takes place in the same world, just in a far future setting. There are several references to Dishonored in Deathloop.

StueyDuck

I mean...I liked deathloop 🤷‍♂️

The real crime is average-looking-fall instead of a prey 2...

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Dishonored 1 was great, Dishonored 2 was good, but Deathloop was legit amazing and probably Arkane’s best game to date.

I can see why people quit early on - it doesn’t make the best early impression (sort of a Dishonored lite with a weird vibe), but once you start to permanently unlock guns/abilities, it really gets good. And I ended up loving the main characters in the game including Cole.

Laptop1991

Wrong choice, should of been the other way round, i love the Dishonored games, really good SP games with good settings, gameplay, characters, story and ambiance, but not Deathloop using the same map over and over and just keep respawning like deathmatch,

i think Deathloop started out as another attempt to multiplayer all their games to find their GTA online cash cow and wasn't going to work as they have all failed especially Fallout 76, Bethesda and their IP's should get back to what their really good at. SP games!.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Deathloop? More like Deathpoop

I find it intresting that the amount of people defending this title as a secret rough diamond that is their best title to date suddenly dropped through the floor around the exact same time it released for Xbox.

Certainly would have preferred anouther dishonored, as its the one title they made I never finished, Prey 2 would have been my pick though although it would have been difficult to make something as memorable a second time around.

Last edited:

Arsic

Gold Member
Death Loop AI makes you wonder if the same studio even made both games.

Hopefully red fall is not standing around idiots

Deathloop was also received well, yet we have a ton of people here shitting on it.

Different tastes and all that.

Nah, Deathloop was only praised by critics and we all know why. Steam had it at mixed reviews for a long time. It barely raised up to mostly positive rn. It's an inferior game in every possible way.

Deathloop was the first game where I couldn't understand how it got so many perfect scores. Its such an average game and I did give it a good chance but couldn't keep playing. Personally, I want prey 2 from arkane.

Filben

Deathloop... it starts so well, has a cool art style and fun dialogues and good voice acting. And then after the third loop you feel like you're always doing the same thing. There's not enough going on to make each run/loop unique. And even when you visit the places at different times it doesn't change your gameplay fundamentally nor the story. I feel like I always shoot the same guys, sometimes less sometimes more of them.

But this is a problem I have also with many rogue likes after years of the release flood of those titles.

To do the same thing over again in the same environment ad nauseum just to be bit better next time or to unlock another sentence in the story isn't as appealing as it first seems.

Just let me progress with the story and items somewhat linear without backtracking 99 times.

Zathalus

Nah, Deathloop was only praised by critics and we all know why. Steam had it at mixed reviews for a long time. It barely raised up to mostly positive rn. It's an inferior game in every possible way.
Good MC scores (why did it get that again? Please explain) and a difference of 11% on Steam (we all know Steam is such a bastion of credible review scores) hardly imply a much inferior game.

Sure you can argue that it is worse, but most people are arguing that it's outright bad, which by most criteria (other then personal) it is not.

Deathloop… played it once and has been sitting in its case since.
Dishonored… completed both main installments

Not a good decision Bethesda/Arkane
What's crazy to me about Dishonored is, as much as Death Of The Outsider didn't sell well, it was my favourite installment in the series, easily!

Top Bottom