Beto for 2020?

Arkage

Gold Member
Sep 25, 2012
It was a disappointing and slim loss for Beto yesterday, but he put up a good fight in Texas. Do you think he's a viable candidate to run against Trump? I'm excited to see some new faces in the Democratic party in general and Beto seems to win over both regular and progressive Democrats, and I think would be highly competitive with moderates.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018
He is the best candidate they have visibly but he is too far left I think. Dems may court him but if he runs on a similar platform the Dems probably pick Biden, maybe Beto for Vice.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
Beto and Gabbard would be awesome.

But we will be stuck with Kamala Harris because yass queen types.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
If you can lose to Ted "The Zodiac Killer" Cruz, I don't think you have a shot at winning a Presidency.

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017
Put him against Sanders and he will win. Sanders know how to move masses and he would also have won in 2016

bigedole

Mar 10, 2015
Austin, TX
Beto couldn't even beat the zodiac killer... how exactly would he beat Trump? Cruz played softball with him too, Trump would not do that at all.

xStoyax

Oct 29, 2017
> Set records with money raised
> Outspent Cruz 2 to 1
> Backed by hard media push & Hollywood
> Blows $100 million
> Still losses to guy who lost to Trump

Yes, let's run him against Trump

Last edited:

Corrik

Jan 20, 2018
Pittsburgh
It was a disappointing and slim loss for Beto yesterday, but he put up a good fight in Texas. Do you think he's a viable candidate to run against Trump? I'm excited to see some new faces in the Democratic party in general and Beto seems to win over both regular and progressive Democrats, and I think would be highly competitive with moderates.
He would get destroyed. He got beat by Cruz of all people. And he has the arrest record which would be exploited to high heaven in a general election.

Death Dealer

Sep 11, 2007
Had he won the Senate seat, Beto would have been a viable 2020 nominee. But as it stands, he won't be one of the front runners. His concession speech was bizarre. The stage literally looked like a rock concert. Trying too hard.

Arkage

Gold Member
Sep 25, 2012
TIL Beto should've easily beaten Cruz in a red States that still loves Trump. Wish someone would've told the Texas voters that.

Sub_Level

Apr 9, 2009
"He couldnt even beat Cruz"

Obama or Kennedy wouldnt beat Cruz in Texas either. Winning the presidency is easier than winning as a democratic senator in texas. Also him winning would have ensured he WOULDNT run in 2020 since he would have wanted his 6 year term.

Iorv3th

Jan 16, 2013
I know some "republicans" from out of TX that seem to like him. But I think he's too far left of center to win a presidential race.

Had he won the Senate seat, Beto would have been a viable 2020 nominee. But as it stands, he won't be one of the front runners. His concession speech was bizarre. The stage literally looked like a rock concert. Trying too hard.
If he had won the senate seat he said he wouldn't run for president. One of his ads was him attacking Cruz for wasting tax payer dollars and time running for president and he claimed he wouldn't do that.

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016

HenkDV

Aug 11, 2018
Amazing how a narrow victory in Texas of all places is now something Republicans gloat about.

Death Dealer

Sep 11, 2007
If he had won the senate seat he said he wouldn't run for president. One of his ads was him attacking Cruz for wasting tax payer dollars and time running for president and he claimed he wouldn't do that.
He probably would have waited until 2024 to make his move. Easier than taking on Trump directly. But now that he lost his Congressional seat, I don't know what he'll do. He can't run for governor. He can't win national office. Maybe run for dog catcher ?

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I know you're excited Arkage but let's keep our feet on the ground. Beto outspent and out-advertised Cruz -- who has been losing popularity from his own side -- and still lost.

ssolitare

Manbaby: The Member
Jan 12, 2009
I know you're excited Arkage but let's keep our feet on the ground. Beto outspent and out-advertised Cruz -- who has been losing popularity from his own side -- and still lost.
It's Texas, a republican stronghold no matter the candidate, and Beto is very, very progressive. It was a close race, this bodes well for Democrats

I think Beto can do it.

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
It's Texas, a republican stronghold no matter the candidate, and Beto is very, very progressive. It was a close race, this bodes well for Democrats

I think Beto can do it.
Beto seat he left was won by another Democrat iirc. He lost to a top 5 most unlikeable opponent

Sub_Level

Apr 9, 2009
Beto + Gabbard on one ticket has the holy trinity

- the policy/ideology appeal of bernie
- the charisma/attraction of obama
- the woman novelty without an overt focus on idpol

Hillary only had the novelty and she foolishly made it front and center. Trump wouldnt stand a chance.

Democrat primary voters next year: "naw fuck that give us corey booker"

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
Eh I feel like Biden is just too old at this point. Isn't he even older than Trump? Like almost 80?
Yes he is highly experienced. Perfect to reboot the Democratic Party. Served for decades. Can’t find hella dirt on him. History of working well with everyone. Outstanding public servant

ssolitare

Jan 12, 2009
Beto seat he left was won by another Democrat iirc. He lost to a top 5 most unlikeable opponent
Texas is back in play for the Democrats, who haven't had a race this close in 20+ years. The state is changing a little bit, and the way Beto ran his campaign and inspired others set up Democrats for the next round.

Someone else can come in too and do work after what beto started.

Last edited:

Achelexus

Jan 31, 2018
They'll just put Warren instead and lose again. Screencap this post, I'll be right in 2020.

Sacred

Aug 22, 2018
Texas is back in play for the Democrats, who haven't had a race this close in 20+ years. The state is changing a little bit, and the way Beto ran his campaign and inspired others set up Democrats for the next round.
Ted has been bleeding voters badly since the 2016 primaries. He will lose his next primary to a much more well rounded republican and Texas will then stay red handily.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Beto is very, very progressive.
If Beto is your idea of very, very progressive then this country is doomed. Then again, it would seem that Mediamatters/Shareblue/et al. has been very effective at re-branding neoliberalism sprinkled with social justice as progressivism.

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016

Someone else can come in too and do work after what beto started.
Run a guy who has little experience and 15 minutes of fame against the second most despised politician in terms of character besides Trump.

They should just run The Rock or Oprah.

Trey

Mar 3, 2010
He has that charisma and look Dems would want to be the forefront of their party. He would likely win the primary if he wanted it.

Running a general against Trump is trickier, but Beto would probably carry the rust belt unlike Clinton. He would be very competitive in Florida, too. If he wins Florida, he absolutely wins the general.

It's doable.

lil puff

Dec 1, 2017
I don't think a Dem is ever gonna win in Texas.
I wouldn't ever say never, but damn yes that state is largely Red and has HUGE pockets of rural area..

Virginia used to be red several decades ago, but in the 90s, Metropolitan DC area slowly began to gentrify and residents (minorities) started moving down south to No VA and slowly trickled down that state. It's still in that process to this day, but no longer can you simply call VA a red state. I know it's not exactly the same and there's more to it.

I am not sure how that works relative to Texas, geographically.

What's interesting is that MD just got a GOP Gov. That's a traditional blue state that also took on a lot of those same DC residents in the late 80s 90s, look at PG County and surroundings. Its ironic.

take_it_easy

Jan 31, 2018
I think things are becoming more polarized, so it's possible Beto could win with a far left platform. I think if the economy stays strong no one can beat Trump but himself.

ssolitare

Jan 12, 2009
If Beto is your idea of very, very progressive then this country is doomed. Then again, it would seem that Mediamatters/Shareblue/et al. has been very effective at re-branding neoliberalism sprinkled with social justice as progressivism.
The left isn't very left in this country outside of wanting trinkets. It's nothing to criticize, it's just what it is.

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
He has that charisma and look Dems would want to be the forefront of their party. He would likely win the primary if he wanted it.

Running a general against Trump is trickier, but Beto would probably carry the rust belt unlike Clinton. He would be very competitive in Florida, too. If he wins Florida, he absolutely wins the general.

It's doable.
If anyone believes this guy has a big political future ahead of him, why would you run him when...

A) Its historically tough to defeat a current President in a good Economy

B) He loses in a general election for the top spot, he is unlikely to be nominated by the party again.

Trey

Mar 3, 2010
If anyone believes this guy has a big political future ahead of him, why would you run him when...

A) Its historically tough to defeat a current President in a good Economy

B) He loses in a general election for the top spot, he is unlikely to be nominated by the party again.
A) sure. But despite that, Trump is still historically unpopular. You aren't dealing with the same metrics.

B) if he loses, he loses. No need to "protect" him if he wants to run.

Sub_Level

Apr 9, 2009
I am not sure how that works relative to Texas, geographically.
There is trickle inside the triangle in counties like Hays (where Beto won) and Caldwell (where Beto lost by a small margin) but nobody in the metro areas is moving to north texas.

Which is fine since those North rural Texas is only 3 House seats. But dems absolutely need every single district inside the triangle and every single district on the border (which they almost did last night)

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
A) sure. But despite that, Trump is still historically unpopular. You aren't dealing with the same metrics.

B) if he loses, he loses. No need to "protect" him if he wants to run.
If you want to introduce him to the national stage, run him as a VP.

The Rock wants to run too right? If he does, don't nominate him.

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
no. what is it with Dems wanting to run proven losers?

crossing your fingers on demographics again like it is 2016 is not going to work, unless you want a loser to lose again.

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
no. what is it with Dems wanting to run proven losers?

crossing your fingers on demographics again like it is 2016 is not going to work, unless you want a loser to lose again.
Well said.

There are always these rising stars in the Democratic Party. And before they can ever get to the top, they are pulled down by scandals. Couldn't stop sending DICK pics or pretending to not be White.

Biden was elected to the Senate from from 1973 to 2009. VP from 2009 to 2017. That's a winner. From 1973 to 2017...

Biden has appeal with Working Class Americans. The Democratic Party doesn't. Even losing in 2020 still moves the party forward if the Dem's don't fuck it up.

Biden never got the nomination in large part because he says shit that could cause trouble. But isn't an issue against Trump.

Gander

Banned
May 17, 2018
I don't agree with that definitely Dems have better people but GOP is doing all the tricks as far as gerrymandering and voter suppression. Please DeSantis was a trainwreck and somehow still won. Ted Cruz won and nobody likes Ted Cruz.

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Progressives suffered some high profile setbacks yesterday. Women, on the other hand, made significant gains. The Dems continue strengthening the appeal of the first woman president, so my money's still on Kamala Harris walking out of the Democrat field.