Beto O’Rourke: Electoral College Is "kinda" Just Like Slavery

Voost Kain

Banned
Jun 6, 2015
O’Rourke justified his call for eliminating the Electoral College by the comparing the institution to slavery.
“This is one of those bad compromises we made at day one in this country,” he said. “There are many others we can think of and they are all connected, including the value of some people based on the color of their skin. There is a legacy and a series of consequences that have persisted and remain with us to this day.”
“In this conversation about how we repair the damage, how we make things right, and how we keep from committing the same injustice going forward is squarely connected to the reason that we are all convened here today and that is fixing our democracy,” O’Rourke continued. “So yes, if we get rid of the Electoral College, we get a little bit closer to one person, one vote in the United States of America.”
Beto unleashed these comments at the We the People Membership Summit in Washington. (That’s the same event where attendees joined in chanting a quote from a convicted cop killer and entrant on the FBI’s most wanted terrorist list.)

Beto must not have been paying attention to DNC class, and missed that the democrats gerrymandered black people to gain the more reliable hispanics vote multiple times, for example:

Yeah that's pretty insane.

But anyway the EC being removed is nothing more than a last cry for help. Democrats keep trying to force people into closed off cities and that's where most of these radicals are coming from. But guess what, there are other states and cities in the country, if the democrats actually stopped focusing on population center in 5 states and actually campaigned they could win the EC. I know right? That thing they used to do way long ago? Crazy,

CausticVenom

Apr 27, 2018
What an idiot. Anybody who agrees with this nonsense are just as ignorant and uneducated as he is.

The electoral college is the best system. Period.

JareBear

Gold Member
Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
Beto is Bettin on the wrong horse, here.

Always gotta exercise extreme caution when invoking the slavery analogies/metaphors.

Personally I am not a huge fan of the electoral college but I see why it makes sense.

Last edited:

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
No its not like slavery. Its not similar to slavery.

Without it many of the states would be a slave to the big states.

rivv3r

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
Okay, leftists, how about a compromise? We get rid of the electoral college, but people can only vote if they pay federal taxes. Deal?

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
Okay, leftists, how about a compromise? We get rid of the electoral college, but people can only vote if they pay federal taxes. Deal?
Yep im ok with that.

Unfortunately our elected officials are not interested in compromise or doing their job in any real capacity.

autoduelist

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2014
I refuse to write another essay on how stupid this is. It's fucking stupid. We do not want majority rules. Stop trying to destroy this country. Thanks.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I'll just quote what I wrote when Elizabeth "1/1020th" Warren said the Electoral College needed to go:

For all the talk about minorities, Democrats sure shriek when winning the majority in the megacities didn't win them in the election.
For all the worries about Trump not respecting the results of the election, they sure don't respect the results of 2016.
For all the fearmongering about Trump's so-called populism, they sure are appealing to populism.
For all the accusations of Trump "undermining our democracy", they're sure trying really hard to undermine our democracy.

I love how all the Electoral College Experts showed up right after the 2016 results to arrogantly instruct us on how bad the Electoral College is for our country.

Super Mario

Nov 12, 2016
I remember a day when politics wasn't saying the stupidest things to create a ruling underclass, and the crowd loves it

juliotendo

Jan 5, 2019
Jesus Christ - this man is a total imbecile. He will say anything and do anything to get elected, no matter how ignorant or dumb it seems.

The founding fathers NEVER INTENDED to have a direct democracy. They knew that system would eventually evolve into tyranny. This is why we have a REPRESENTATIVE DEMOCRACY / REPUBLIC which despite occasional kinks the SYSTEM WORKS.

I’m so tired of these leftists morons advocating for something different to a current system which they don’t even understand.

John Lee Packard

Gold Member
Jan 25, 2018
Southeastern USA
The left has a fundamental misunderstanding of what the USA is even supposed to be.

It's not one big amorphous country, each state is sorta supposed to be like a micro-nation unto themselves, that's how it used to work anyway, but the interstate highways and mass media has blurred the lines, now the left thinks "states" are just a formality.

Love it or hate it, it's what the Founding Fathers intended, the left really aren't even trying to hide anymore that their ultimate endgame is a total replacement of the USA as we know it.

Dirk Benedict

May 31, 2013
You can find me in Cursed Isz
Beto is Bettin on the wrong horse, here.

Always gotta exercise extreme caution when invoking the slavery analogies/metaphors.

Personally I am not a huge fan of the electoral college but I see why it makes sense.
Loving the Chunk avatar, @JareBear

On Topic: Anyone who seeks to remove the EC is fucked in the head, in my book. It's a power play by the Dems to undermine our electoral system. I have been thinking about voting Trump in 2020 because, while fallible, and it is most apparent, I haven't seen his presidency as anything else but basic, and in my own words "chill" minus the migration shit, everything else has been pretty laid back. I won't even get into the Muller situation since it seems it's just a nothingpie.

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
I still say Beto referring to himself as "Beto" is offensive cultural appropriation by a straight white guy.

Oct 26, 2018
If Democrats want a better chance of winning at the next election, spend some more time and campaign money for small town states like Trump did.

It seems lefty votes come in fast in metro areas as default. Whichever Democrat runs for presidency probably doesn't have to spend one minute in California and he or she will still win, but for states on the fence, spend some time in rural areas, or else what will happen is the metro votes are blue, but every other district surrounding it will be red...... overall state = red.

Look how many points Hillary lost from all those 3-10 pt states.

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
Get rid of the electoral college !?

So 4 states decide every election?

What reason would a president have to push policies that help smaller states’ problems? Every election would be focused on politicians spending tax dollars on Florida, New York, Texas and California to help them get a 2nd term

Every vote should not be equal. 1000 people who live in urban areas have no idea the problems 100 rural people face. 100 rural people have no idea the problems 1000 urban area people face. They should stand on equal ground and candidates should discuss all their sides so everyone knows all the issues.

The Electoral College allows every voice to be heard of all groups of people facing similar problems. It forces presidents to focus on everyone, not just the majority in big states.

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
Could we perhaps separate "leftism" and US Democrats please?
For starters, they are largely a right party to me, that just happens to be a bit to the left of Reps.

Secondly, election systems (and gun control, for that matter) have nothing to do with lefti/right.

Last edited:

Dunki

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017
Without these eletoral votes politicans would give a shit about the country sides and concentrate all their power to the states with the most people in it.

Darkangel

Jul 16, 2011
Canada
There are merits to both systems. The electoral college gives a disproportionate voice to small communities, but that's sort of the point. If I lived in a rural area I would definitely want to have some kind of influence.

Parties are going to want to promote whatever system increases their chances of getting elected. Republicans wouldn't care about rural states if the big cities were the ones carrying them, likewise the Dems wouldn't care about the EC if it allowed them to win.

Not sure where I stand on the issue tbh.

Baruch.S

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Right back at ya. There's nothing wrong with the electoral college, you're just mad because the bad orange man got elected.
Actually you're kinda right, like the above poster said, there's nothing inherently wrong to both system. It all comes down to a matter of personal opinion, but it doesn't change the fact that the electoral college isnt going anywhere,

What you said still doesnt make any sense tho lol.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Today Electoral College, tomorrow, why do we have a senate?
Senate? Why even bother with elections. The Democrats are the party of the people. They should by right have full control over the government.

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
Senate? Why even bother with elections. The Democrats are the party of the people. They should by right have full control over the government.
And the Democrats are so desperate that they’re actually trying to cheat:
Make voting age 16
Let illegals vote
Rid of the Electoral College

CausticVenom

Apr 27, 2018
Actually you're kinda right, like the above poster said, there's nothing inherently wrong to both system. It all comes down to a matter of personal opinion, but it doesn't change the fact that the electoral college isnt going anywhere,

What you said still doesnt make any sense tho lol.
It makes perfect sense. What I thought was that you opposed it completely, and I said it objectively works better than any other voting system.

Arkage

Gold Member
Sep 25, 2012
OP is wrong on so many levels it's hilariously bad.

1) Headline quote of "Electoral college is just like slavery" is literally nowhere to be found except in.... the headline he created. FAKE NEWS QUOTES :messenger_tears_of_joy:

2) Yes the electoral college was created to give smaller population states more voice. But the key component of the debate over the electoral college revolved around the issue of slavery, just as Beto implies in the quotes in the article:

At the Philadelphia convention, the visionary Pennsylvanian James Wilson proposed direct national election of the president. But the savvy Virginian James Madison responded that such a system would prove unacceptable to the South: “The right of suffrage was much more diffusive [i.e., extensive] in the Northern than the Southern States; and the latter could have no influence in the election on the score of Negroes.” In other words, in a direct election system, the North would outnumber the South, whose many slaves (more than half a million in all) of course could not vote. But the Electoral College—a prototype of which Madison proposed in this same speech—instead let each southern state count its slaves, albeit with a two-fifths discount, in computing its share of the overall count.
If slavery didn't exist, it's arguable we wouldn't currently have an electoral college. It's primary effect was to benefit states that had high slave populations, which is fucked up.

3) Lul @ random gerrymandering rant as if it's a one sided thing. PA literally just had our district redrawn by our Supreme Court because Republicans rigged the game for a good decade.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
2) Yes the electoral college was created to give smaller population states more voice.
And that's the problem with electoral systems. The smaller you are, the more your vote is actually worth when it's ratioed out. The bigger states still control the big pts due to sheer size, but it levels out a bit so even tiniest state (whichever one it is) is still worth a minimum of 3 pts. If somehow a 51st state got created and it had 10 people living there, it would still be 3 pts.

So it shows a system like this isn't really fair, even though people always say get out there and vote because every vote is equal. 1 vote = 1 vote. It's really not...... unless presidents were voted in based on the popular vote system.

Last edited:

Baruch.S

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
It makes perfect sense. What I thought was that you opposed it completely, and I said it objectively works better than any other voting system.
Here's what you said you chicken-brained fuck:
''We're trying to elect the leader of the free world, not prom king and queen.''

You seem very limited lmao

ramuh

Jun 7, 2013
Wow. Is he an idiot? Wasn't this one of the main designs of the Founding Fathers? To design a system where compromise was needed between large concentrated areas and the rest of the country? To give both a equal voice to the concentrated masses and the less populated areas that control large swaths of the physical realm? Last time I checked we were a Republic not a Democracy.

Kittehkraken

Jan 14, 2017
The system in place is perfectly fine. The Democrats simply forgot 3/4 of America even exists. And when they realized it did; they called it deplorable, uneducated and racist.

Smooth.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2010
In a cave outside of Whooville.
And there should be an upper democratic oversight committee that ensures that all democrats in power keep up to date with what is wrong and offensive since it changes on a daily basis.

Liberty4all

Nov 11, 2007
The electoral system is fine. It ensures that states with smaller populations don't get fucked by larger population states. Every state has the right to equal representation.

Get rid of the electoral college and watch states with smaller populations secede from the union.

Yes in the old days it was about slavery but what it was REALLY about was protecting state rights and the populations of those states.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2013
Wow. Is he an idiot? Wasn't this one of the main designs of the Founding Fathers? To design a system where compromise was needed between large concentrated areas and the rest of the country? To give both a equal voice to the concentrated masses and the less populated areas that control large swaths of the physical realm? Last time I checked we were a Republic not a Democracy.
We're technically both, but we don't run on a direct democracy. Rather, we run on a representative democratic system.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Here's what you said you chicken-brained fuck:
''We're trying to elect the leader of the free world, not prom king and queen.''

You seem very limited lmao
I’d argue that the limited person is the one who only has petty insults to use as backing for their argument, but then again, I’m sure you are a burner troll account so you don’t really care. So have fun, limited man.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
:

2) Yes the electoral college was created to give smaller population states more voice. But the key component of the debate over the electoral college revolved around the issue of slavery, just as Beto implies in the quotes in the article:

If slavery didn't exist, it's arguable we wouldn't currently have an electoral college. It's primary effect was to benefit states that had high slave populations, which is fucked up.
Sigh..

Read out loud what you just posted. Slowly if you have to. The idiocy here is just on another level

Or do we have to lead you along like a goat?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
The electoral system is fine. It ensures that states with smaller populations don't get fucked by larger population states.
So that means people living in New York has votes that are technically less valuable than anyone living in small states. That doesn't even make sense, since you'd think 1 vote by person A should be worth the same as 1 vote by person B.
Every state has the right to equal representation.
The electoral system doesn't support this though. If every state had equal representation, state pt values would be ratioed out evenly per population base. It's an odd sliding scale. Even at the low end where states are 3 pts each the scale is way off. Doing some random Googling, Wyoming has 580,000 people = 3 pts. Montana has 1,050,000 people = 3 pts.

Last edited:

JLB

Dec 6, 2018
What an idiot. Anybody who agrees with this nonsense are just as ignorant and uneducated as he is.

The electoral college is the best system. Period.
Indeed. Where I live (Argentina) we have popular vote. Which basically means that most of policies are towards the vastly most populated state (Buenos Aires). Rest of the country? No one gives a shit. I mean, presidental candidates not even go to the less populated ones, not even once. Electoral college is a bless.

Petrae

Nov 19, 2006
West Springfield, MA
www.youtube.com
Democrats can blubber all they want about the alleged evils of the Electoral College, but there is NO way they carry enough states to ratify an amendment to make it go away.

So the blubbering and sore losing will continue, instead of learning how to campaign for an EC win.