• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beto O'Rourke announces 2020 US presidential bid

Wings 嫩翼

Formerly '심포니'
Apr 2, 2013
波士頓
So apparently, Beto O'Rourke announced a 2020 presidential bid. Someone should make an OT or a new thread.

EDIT: Well here we are, gang. Discuss.

Last edited:

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Jun 15, 2013
I honestly don’t see how democrats are going to differentiate themselves.

There are only so many ways you can say “I am not Trump”.

That seems to be the platform.

LegendOfKage

Mar 6, 2018
I honestly don’t see how democrats are going to differentiate themselves.

There are only so many ways you can say “I am not Trump”.

That seems to be the platform.
He said he's going to run a positive campaign designed to unite the political divide. It will be really interesting if he actually tries doing that. My guess is that isn't going to happen, and that "Trump is bad" and "MAGA = racism" will be a large part of his platform. I hope he proves me wrong, though.

People already have their minds made up about Trump, one way or another. Whoever wins the nomination needs to tell people what they can do for the country, not that they're not Trump. We know you're not Trump. Don't tell us why Trump is bad, tell us why you are good. At least that's how I feel.

Last edited:

Christopher

Mar 19, 2005
Isn’t he a straight ...white....MALE?!

I thought those are evil.

To me this guy is literally Poochie the fucking dog from the simpsons in human form so lame.

Jan 16, 2019
Isn’t he a straight ...white....MALE?!

I thought those are evil.

To me this guy is literally Poochie the fucking dog from the simpsons in human form so lame.
I hate to break it to you but no, they are not evil. Sorry that your forced narrative is shattered.

For the next election the only barometer I'm going to use is "do they act like a 5 year old child that didnt get his cookie" test.

*edit- his or her cookie. Or anything in between.

Last edited:

Christopher

Mar 19, 2005
I hate to break it to you but no, they are not evil. Sorry that your forced narrative is shattered.

For the next election the only barometer I'm going to use is "do they act like a 5 year old child that didnt get his cookie" test.

MY forced narrative!? Oh boy..,

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia

Like Hillary "It's MY Turn" Clinton?

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
the guy lost against Ted Cruz. i know people bring up that Bernie lost against Hillary Clinton, who was only the most qualified person ever to be president, who is married to a president, and who had record setting media support in her favor. this guy, again, lost to Ted Cruz.

there IS a difference. Ted Cruz didn't have any of that going for him. he's Ted Cruz.

O'Rourke is an empty suit. a man of Irish Welsh ancestry born wealthy who grew up in a gated community (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kern_Place) and was given a fake Latino name by his parents who were both fairly connected in politics. he's only convincing to diehards. the media seems to love him, which spells disaster for the other candidates IMO.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018
I don't really know anything about him except that I hate his name. He sounds like a failed Irish video cassette player.

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
so about the gated community where Beto was raised:

Gate erected outside of the Kern Place neighborhood in 1916.

The iron gate contained swastikas, the Kern family crest and 444 electric light globes that illuminated the words "Kern Place" over the center of the gate. It also had a Zodiac calendar, totem poles from Alaska, and spelled out "Kern Place." The symbolism of the gate was meant to express ideas about "the brotherhood of man, light, life, health and wealth," according to the El Paso Herald-Post.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kern_Place#The_Kern_Place_Gate

Last edited:

PonyStation4

May 26, 2018
the guy lost against Ted Cruz. i know people bring up that Bernie lost against Hillary Clinton, who was only the most qualified person ever to be president, who is married to a president, and who had record setting media support in her favor. this guy, again, lost to Ted Cruz.

there IS a difference. Ted Cruz didn't have any of that going for him. he's Ted Cruz.

O'Rourke is an empty suit. a man of Irish Welsh ancestry born wealthy who grew up in a gated community (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kern_Place) and was given a fake Latino name by his parents who were both fairly connected in politics. he's only convincing to diehards. the media seems to love him, which spells disaster for the other candidates IMO.
Beto lost in Republican territory and it still ended up being close. Put Beto against Cruz in a mostly neutral state, it would have been a slaughter.

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Beto's affable and charismatic enough to gain a good bit of support, but the only way he'll still be around by this time next year is if he's decided to become a running mate.

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Well to be fair it was a stupid question...so hey I won a stupid prize!
> For the next election the only barometer I'm going to use is "do they act like a 5 year old child that didnt get his cookie" test.

> Like Hillary "It's MY Turn" Clinton?

If you can't see the connection, perhaps you're not in a position to be insulting others' intelligence.

Jan 16, 2019
> For the next election the only barometer I'm going to use is "do they act like a 5 year old child that didnt get his cookie" test.

> Like Hillary "It's MY Turn" Clinton?

If you can't see the connection, perhaps you're not in a position to be insulting others' intelligence.
Sure thing buddy. I really dont like the Clintons, and have never voted for them. So my answer holds at a NO. :)

Heart_Attack

Neo Member
Sep 25, 2018
A Puppet candidate with no platform/proposals to avoid pissing off his potential voters. What a joke.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
https://betoorourke.com/

No political platform or statements of any nature on his website, just a merch shop and donation box.
I mean how much more blatant can anyone be that this this is a money grift.

Motherfucker can't even put together some basic HTML and CSS to make a policy page, but he was sure a remember to create a backend to handle money donations. Priorities

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Ouch.

For context, Tim Canova is the Democrat who got swindled out of the election by a fellow Democrat in Florida. I'm glad there are Democrats who take the sanctity of voting seriously instead of just using it as a slander against Trump, but I disagree with him that our Democracy is "dead".

Zangiefy360

Cross Forum Drama ..........Queen
Aug 30, 2018
Honest question... is this guy a joke?

Watching him speak makes me nervous. Between his vocal tone being all over the place and his jerky hand gestures I can't tolerate him for more than a minute or so before I start getting agitated.

Last edited:

btgorman

Jul 26, 2009
Honest question... is this guy a joke?

Watching him speak makes me nervous. Between his vocal tone being all over the place and his jerky hand gestures I can't tolerate him for more than a minute or so before I start getting agitated.
Did you mention crazy hands?

Zangiefy360

Aug 30, 2018
Did you mention crazy hands?
Glad I'm not the only one that noticed that!

Beto. Ugh, that tone and jerky hand gestures.

If he danced, I imagine it'd be like Crispin Glover's dead fuck dance in F13 Part 5.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
he is the Vampire Weekend of candidates. some smooth guy with a popped collar, the idealized non-toxic 80s jock. anti-Kavanaugh. next to Biden he is the most milktoast boring white rich dude you could hope for.

his best bet is to hope for a VP spot. i could see him as the next Biden/Tim Kaine, a boring safe VP in case shit goes horribly wrong.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
He said he's going to run a positive campaign designed to unite the political divide. It will be really interesting if he actually tries doing that. My guess is that isn't going to happen, and that "Trump is bad" and "MAGA = racism" will be a large part of his platform. I hope he proves me wrong, though.
LOL. His entire campaign is premised on negative views of a post-2016 America. But he will whisper about it with inspirational messages, so I guess that could be considered positive.

Zangiefy360

Aug 30, 2018
I've looked into this bozo a bit, and wow, he's a total propped up puppet.

Also, I'm going to refuse to call him Beto, because he's not Hispanic, it's obvious pandering, and it's appropriation. Robert's his name.

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
Beto lost in Republican territory and it still ended up being close. Put Beto against Cruz in a mostly neutral state, it would have been a slaughter.
Amazing how Beto losing to Zodiac is getting spun into some indication of his popularity.

Arkage

Sep 25, 2012
Amazing how Beto losing to Zodiac is getting spun into some indication of his popularity.
Trump won Texas by 9%, Cruz won by 2%. Beto is more popular than Hillary, which is relevant when asking who might beat Trump in 2020.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Trump won Texas by 9%, Cruz won by 2%. Beto is more popular than Hillary, which is relevant when asking who might beat Trump in 2020.

So in other words Beto lost. Despite being flooded by money from outside and running what was probably the most nationally covered senate race at the time, he still lost to one of the most unpopular senators in the country. And that is your proof that he will beat Trump.

You deserve to be grifted if you actually fall for this nonsense

Last edited: