• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BETTER CALL SAUL (s e a s o n 5) |OT\

3qewfd.jpg

Cutty Flam

Banned
Mike blowing up at his granddaughter was one of the most contrived things I've seen in this show, easily.
I forget why (all the details) but she brought up Mike's son (her dad) and that seems to be the one weakness Mike has. He was in that bar drinking all the time before he killed those two cops who had something to do with his son. So it's a clear issue he'd rather not bring up; Mike's a rational dude and there's no bringing his son back. I think he just slipped. Mike has that in common with Gus, that they both lost a loved one in their line of work

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Not really breh, Nacho is fighting hard to keep his pop alive, Mike is struggling, Gus is relentless in his decision to eliminate Lalo, Saul is hitting his stride big time, Hector back in play

I can just tell, this season is going to have some stellar moments in the episodes to come
Remember that Lalo was mentioned in Breaking Bad in like Season 2 by Jimmy though...

I forget why (all the details) but she brought up Mike's son (her dad) and that seems to be the one weakness Mike has. He was in that bar drinking all the time before he killed those two cops who had something to do with his son. So it's a clear issue he'd rather not bring up; Mike's a rational dude and there's no bringing his son back. I think he just slipped. Mike has that in common with Gus, that they both lost a loved one in their line of work

Right... that's not the issue.

If they wanted to stress that he's still a complete wreck over that, there were less forced and silly ways to do it. His granddaughter just kept driving home the subject in a silly contrived scene, and Mike blows up at her like she's a grown man.

What brought that out? His granddaughter simply bringing up his son in conversation? Didn't he have his big catharsis over the whole thing like 3 seasons ago? And now it's gotten so bad to the point where he's yelling at his own granddaughter?

Grinchy

Banned
I agree that the blowup was a bit much, but I like the reasoning behind it. I feel like Mike sees Werner's death in a similar way to Matty's. He was a good person in a bad spot and was killed by goons because of it.

Maybe killing Werner makes Mike feel like the corrupt pieces of shit who killed his son in some way, and after a night of blacking himself out drinking, the reminder was the last thing he wanted in that moment.

I agree that the blowup was a bit much, but I like the reasoning behind it. I feel like Mike sees Werner's death in a similar way to Matty's. He was a good person in a bad spot and was killed by goons because of it.

Maybe killing Werner makes Mike feel like the corrupt pieces of shit who killed his son in some way, and after a night of blacking himself out drinking, the reminder was the last thing he wanted in that moment.
great post

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
He was a good person in a bad spot and was killed by goons because of it.
Bullshit. He put himself in that position. The entire job was sketchy as shit and he broke the only rule.

Kadayi

Banned

On point. Mike liked Werner, but Werner abused his trust and fucked it up for everyone and that came with consequences. He punched Kai for suggesting that Werner deserved it, but he knew the other guy was right when he said Werner was a better man than all of them. That's why he went on a bender and was ill-equipped to deal with his Grandaughters questions as they essentially held up a mirror to his failings.

Anyway, been enjoying the two episodes so far, looking forward to seeing how the Nacho/Saul situation plays out. Also hope we get to see some more Gene action before the season is over in terms of how he deals with matters.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
So Mike is not just an evil guy, he went down a path, and it seems he didn't want to go down.
He's very guilty about killing Ziegler.

yo, FUCK kim

im team acker too

his relationship to his home in my eyes FAR outweighs land laws

he's an old dude living out his days where he's chill just let him be

GymWolf

Second episode was superb.
I don't care for people who talk about shitty pacing and stuff, this is god tier quality television.

Lalo is such a good character.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
It all just looked so dumb. We didn't need all that footage of the 2 idiots who thought, "50% is almost half!" leading to drugs stuck in a pipe, leading to Crazy 8 getting caught, leading to Lalo in a car with other cartoon characters all smiling and watching, leading to Nacho becoming Batman on the roof, ect.

Just a big miss for me overall. Just not suspending my disbelief and it's the first time I've felt that way. And then we get Jimmy perfectly pulling off an unlikely elevator con immediately after the cartoon was over.

Yeah... the second episode bothered me a bit as well. I have no problem at all with slow pacing--in fact, that's one of the greatest aspects of this series. But the intro scene of "50%" and some of the later bits did lose their grounding in reality a bit for me. This series is best when it is based in high plausibility, requiring zero suspension of disbelief and avoiding corny genre-based set pieces or overly cinematic action. It's at its peak when Jimmy is dealing with elderly nursing home patients and their wills... not when having a character leap between rooftops.

It wasn't all bad, mind you, but certainly a lesser episode for me.

Lalo is an excellent character. Love him so far.

Agreed--he has a presence onscreen that is always compelling. In fact, in this episode, he was far more interesting than Gus, whose writing isn't impressing me yet the way it once did. In BB, his two halves (kind public persona, sinister core) were in such wonderful tension that you felt terror at his kindest words even more than his grim scenes. Here, he just seems like a villain, because it's already been established. But I don't think it's best to treat him that way, written backwards from where he ended up in the other show.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah... the second episode bothered me a bit as well. I have no problem at all with slow pacing--in fact, that's one of the greatest aspects of this series. But the intro scene of "50%" and some of the later bits did lose their grounding in reality a bit for me. This series is best when it is based in high plausibility, requiring zero suspension of disbelief and avoiding corny genre-based set pieces or overly cinematic action. It's at its peak when Jimmy is dealing with elderly nursing home patients and their wills... not when having a character leap between rooftops.

It wasn't all bad, mind you, but certainly a lesser episode for me.
That sums up the issue. Chuck vs Jimmy is some of the best character writing ever. Jimmy and Kim has some major clout too. But then it feels like the show has to turn into some strange cartoon version of itself in an attempt to "keep it interesting" when the most interesting aspects are the character webs and motivations.

The newest episode has some issues too for me.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Chuck vs Jimmy is some of the best character writing ever.

Absolutely. Because Chuck's character is such a bitter and often despicable person, my wife once said she was tired of watching that subplot. But having seen the show without it for a while now, I think on the contrary that was easily the best stretch of content. McKean's acting was incredible all the way to the end.

Reactions: Fuz

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I greatly enjoyed episode 3. The character arc of Kim Wexler was quite good, as was Saul's hired mission to plant information. I criticized the former episode (2), but this one but to rest most of my concerns for now.

Sosokrates

Kim/mesa Verde offer only $18000 for that old guys land?

That may be a fair price for the land but the guy has a house on it which must be worth about $50-75000.

Kim shows him houses he could buy, but he's not going to be able to buy a house for $18000.

Last edited:

buizel

Banned
Kim/mesa Verde offer only $18000 for that old guys land?

That may be a fair price for the land but the guy has a house on it which must be worth about $50-75000.

Kim shows him houses he could buy, but he's not going to be able to buy a house for $18000.

I think she was trying to be nice and go above and beyond whats expected of her, and she still got shafted. Where as Jimmy is taking a very different route - usually saying what the customer wants to hear (like the guy said Kim was doing) and it works for him. Now Kims all silent and smoking and mysterious again around Jimmy, ehhhhh

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Be'n watchi'n since season 1 day 1, show's over with, everyone go watch Breaking Bad for more Saul Goodman, one of the best shows. They're beating a dead horse.

Kadayi

Banned
I think she was trying to be nice and go above and beyond whats expected of her, and she still got shafted. Where as Jimmy is taking a very different route - usually saying what the customer wants to hear (like the guy said Kim was doing) and it works for him. Now Kims all silent and smoking and mysterious again around Jimmy, ehhhhh

Jimmy has a lot more charm than Kim, which is why despite trying his way it didn't work. She didn't help herself by trying to strong-arm his earlier in the day mind. Jimmy wouldn't have done that.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Right... that's not the issue.

If they wanted to stress that he's still a complete wreck over that, there were less forced and silly ways to do it. His granddaughter just kept driving home the subject in a silly contrived scene, and Mike blows up at her like she's a grown man.

What brought that out? His granddaughter simply bringing up his son in conversation? Didn't he have his big catharsis over the whole thing like 3 seasons ago? And now it's gotten so bad to the point where he's yelling at his own granddaughter?
It's a telling sign of Mike's character imo. He's 100% family. He's taking care of his deceased son's ex and his daughter to the best of his ability. All through Breaking Bad, his entire motivation was simply building for his family a nest egg to rely upon. I think Mike's deeply hurt over the way he lost his son, understandably so too. A parent losing their own child? Is there anything worse than that? I'm not even a parent and I can't think of anything

The way Vince Gilligan conveys his pain is through Mike lashing out at his own granddaughter. It's obvious she's too young to understand, she's just curious about her dad that she never got to know and everyone tells her about. So she asks genuine questions to learn and find out. Mike should know this, but just having to relive the pain in his mind is torturous enough to where he would lose all composure and forget that he's talking to a very young child; all due to the mere mentioning of his son

Mike may have gotten revenge on those who wronged his son, but that doesn't bring his son back. He's still forced to live with that reality

buizel

Banned
Jimmy has a lot more charm than Kim, which is why despite trying his way it didn't work. She didn't help herself by trying to strong-arm his earlier in the day mind. Jimmy wouldn't have done that.

who isnt charmed by a dude fucking a horse?

Sosokrates

I'm referring to Kim/Mesa Verde shafting the old bold dude by offering just $18grand his house and land is worth at least $75 grand

Kadayi

Banned
who isnt charmed by a dude fucking a horse?

The Mesa Verde Logo is a Horse (you see it in a shot with Kim at some point). The point was to shock the guy into listening to him. Jimmys always going for the unconventional to get people thinking.

Where the fuck did Mike end up in tonight's episode anyway lol

I get the feeling Gus had been keeping tabs on Mike and so either shipped him south of the border to cool off or stashed him somewhere remote. I guess he figures Mike is going to be useful in his war with Lalo and so wants him around. Plus it's important for Mike to get back on Gus's Team going forward for Breaking Bad.

Decent episode, but lack of Lalo and Nacho was a pity.

Hank! Everyone being noticeably older is distracting though.

You think? Dean Norris has always looked old since forever

Dude was in Starship Troopers: -

Only 5 years older than Rico in reality

He lost in the genetics lottery hard

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Episode 4 was quite good.

Lawful-good Kim continues to slide into the world of chaotic-good Saul, who himself is increasingly chaotic-neutral, and will sooner or later be inextricably caught in the edges of the true evil represented by Gus.

Sleepydays

Banned
I'm two eps in, and not feeling it.

It's been the best thing on TV the last few years, but...the new season feels stock as shit. There's been a noticeable shift in tone and believe-ability. It feels like a network show for the first time. 50% guys are pure scooby doo.

I am surprised at how abruptly Jimmy turned into Saul: any trace of likability, humanity - and any remaining good judgement - just dissolved the second he got his license.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism

It's been the best thing on TV the last few years, but...the new season feels stock as shit. There's been a noticeable shift in tone and believe-ability. It feels like a network show for the first time. 50% guys are pure scooby doo.

I am surprised at how abruptly Jimmy turned into Saul: any trace of likability, humanity - and any remaining good judgement - just dissolved the second he got his license.

For what it's worth, I felt the same way after episode 2. But the following episodes have both returned to a better pacing and higher level of realism overall.

Grinchy

Banned

The quality decline is real. I'm still liking it and it's not dead yet, but my biggest problem is the complete lack of believeability in this season. Saul's cons are turning into some Sneaky Pete shit.

Even last season, you had Lalo doing a Jessica Jones jump to get into a ceiling undetected. This season, he's eating popcorn in a car while watching Nacho doing Batman cosplay. The side characters are all unrealistic cartoons as well. Hank and Gomez just don't feel quite right either. It's all a bit of a miss with some still great Kim stuff mixed in.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Episode 4 was great. Saul is finally finding his stride. There are hardly morals when you’re a lawyer...He’s doing what he does best and focusing on himself and defeating whoever he wants to. And now he’s went against Kim. Been waiting for this

Gus is itching to kill Lalo

Nacho is stuck and treading kn thin ice

This will be an amazing season

Sosokrates

The Mesa Verde Logo is a Horse (you see it in a shot with Kim at some point). The point was to shock the guy into listening to him. Jimmys always going for the unconventional to get people thinking.

I get the feeling Gus had been keeping tabs on Mike and so either shipped him south of the border to cool off or stashed him somewhere remote. I guess he figures Mike is going to be useful in his war with Lalo and so wants him around. Plus it's important for Mike to get back on Gus's Team going forward for Breaking Bad.

Decent episode, but lack of Lalo and Nacho was a pity.

You think? Dean Norris has always looked old since forever

Dude was in Starship Troopers: -

Only 5 years older than Rico in reality

He lost in the genetics lottery hard

He was in also in total recall lol

75ddb5125649af5ce84908bd7a793430.jpg

Clarissa

Banned

It gets better from episode 3. I was on the verge of giving up after episode 2 but I decided to give ep3 a shot. Now I can't wait for episode 5 to drop.

We need a sequel for Breaking Bad with Kim being the lawyer for Walt who somehow managed to survive and has switched over from selling meth to a genetically engineered form of marijuana with red THC crystals. Instead of blue meth it would be "Red Mercury."

Cutty Flam

Banned
Kim asked him to.
Oh really? I wasn’t paying 100% attention to the show unfortunately

I didn’t catch the nuance of the favor Kim asked him for. I just saw that Jimmy was thinking deeply for a moment after the fact. I wonder what he was thinking....

Cutty Flam

Banned
We need a sequel for Breaking Bad with Kim being the lawyer for Walt who somehow managed to survive and has switched over from selling meth to a genetically engineered form of marijuana with red THC crystals. Instead of blue meth it would be "Red Mercury."
Kim’s about to face off against Jimmy it seems. Nobody knows what will become of her, but we’ll find out likely this season

Fuz

Banned
Another incredible episode. They set the bar so high it's incredible.
Saul's tricks are a joy to behold. And I absolutely love the alchemy between Jimmy and Kim. They're fantastic together. Best couple I ever saw on TV.
What an insanely great show.

Grinchy

Banned
Jimmy is such a piece of shit. He doesn't even realize he's doing it, but he's playing Kim just like he would any other mark. He gets off on playing people and he'll even do it to the last person that matters to him.

The second he saw Kim do that derogatory impression of her boss, he knew he had her. He's going to ruin her career and life just to go after another big bully of the world.

Reactions: eot

Cutty Flam

Banned
I'm two episodes behind bros. On a scale from 1-10 how great were the last two episodes?

Plz no spoilers, I trust the Better Call Saul community (and Breaking Bad of course)

This is must see cinema imo, I'm going to have to catch up Wednesday

Top Bottom