• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Betting time: Do you think the Switch will be a success?

Will the Switch be a success?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mozza

Build in, OS and API level rewind function. every time you rewind it makes a save state from which you can branch off of.
The name of this feature is ReTime™
Developers can program in features that react to the player using the dedicated ReTime™ button with game specific gameplay elements.

Launch title: Xbox Game Studios Presents: Blinx: Pocket Dimension

4D gaming at the palm of your hands!
NINTENDO 4DS
Dead on arrival, might sell half of what the Wii U did, and at $399. not a chance in hell. ;)

Jeeves

The initial reactions were because GAF tends to overestimate the importance of hardware rather than games. So many people looking at it like "underpowered hardware, it'll never sell" rather than "so this is where all of the beloved Nintendo IPs will be from now on".

Though I admit I was not impressed with the launch lineup myself and waited until Splatoon 2 to buy one (why yes, I am the owner of a Wii U copy of BotW!).

The initial reactions were because GAF tends to overestimate the importance of hardware rather than games. So many people looking at it like "underpowered hardware, it'll never sell" rather than "so this is where all of the beloved Nintendo IPs will be from now on".

Though I admit I was not impressed with the launch lineup myself and waited until Splatoon 2 to buy one (why yes, I am the owner of a Wii U copy of BotW!).
The initial reactions were because their current console sold 13 million for the generation. It was an understandable prediction

Jeeves

The initial reactions were because their current console sold 13 million for the generation. It was an understandable prediction
That's after the GameCube under-performed and then was followed up by the Wii's runaway success. We'd already seen it happen once. Not to say they're bound to follow that pattern, but it makes "their current console sold poorly, so their next one will too" a more flimsy line of reasoning.

Mozza

Not really, as the Wii U and 3DS combined had sold around 90 million consoles, so were people thinking that somehow Nintendo were going to lose all of it's Wii U and 3DS customers. A game like Pokemon would sell you at least 20 million units of hardware, and we knew at this point Nintendo were combining their handheld and home console businesses.

Last edited:

daclynk

Despicable Me Lol GIF

Always nice to read the first page.

Mozza

Despicable Me Lol GIF

Always nice to read the first page.
Or the first eighty or so pages, can't believe people thought it would sell worse than the Wii U, hell a Pokemon game will sell around 20 million units, and the Wii U and 3DS sold around 90 million between them. I think some were hoping, more than actually thinking it would do bad. ;)

Not sure what you are suggesting here, the Switch had a bumper year as all consoles did, due to people stuck at home during the pandemic, but it's not like the Switch did not sell well before and after covid.
I think covid boosted the sales numbers by around 20M. The other consoles were at the end of their life - PS4 was mostly unavailable and the PS5 released with severe shortages.

Mozza

I think covid boosted the sales numbers by around 20M. The other consoles were at the end of their life - PS4 was mostly unavailable and the PS5 released with severe shortages.
Even if the Switch sales were boosted by 20 million as you suggested, the console is still a massive hit, and is still shifting 15-20 million units in it's seventh year, awesome success for Nintendo.

Neo_GAF

Banned
nintendo showed again after the failure how they can prove the world wrong.
after gc everyone said, that nintendo will be bought by sony or ms.
after wii u everyone said, nintendo will become a third party dev.

here you go :)

Even if the Switch sales were boosted by 20 million as you suggested, the console is still a massive hit, and is still shifting 15-20 million units in it's seventh year, awesome success for Nintendo.
Oh it definitely it a massive. It also helps to be the cheapest available console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom