• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Betting time: Do you think the Switch will be a success?

Will the Switch be a success?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
asked this in another thread but got no reply, how is the switch doing in terms of how fast the ps4 reached those levels of sales vs time

jts

...hate me...
asked this in another thread but got no reply, how is the switch doing in terms of how fast the ps4 reached those levels of sales vs time
Comparable. Because they released in different times of the year they enjoy their holiday season sales at different points of their timeline, but the Switch isn’t tracking behind the PS4. Which is amazing, the PS4 has been rightfully praised for the sales beast it is, yet the Switch isn’t any less of it.
Is there a way to search for a member in a thread? I know I posted my prediction in here but I dont remember what it was lol. Id love to find out.
While on this thread, tap the search button on top, choose “This thread” and type your member name in “member”.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Comparable. Because they released in different times of the year they enjoy their holiday season sales at different points of their timeline, but the Switch isn’t tracking behind the PS4. Which is amazing, the PS4 has been rightfully praised for the sales beast it is, yet the Switch isn’t any less of it.

While on this thread, tap the search button on top, choose “This thread” and type your member name in “member”.
Sweet thanks.

Apparently I didn't in this thread. Damn it.

Aidah

Here is an exact answer:

jts

...hate me...
The interesting part is how the first Nintendo Switch trailer (October 2016) people were actually very positive about it and many could see it being a success but then the January 2017 unveil event came and people started overreacting and going WHAAAT THESE GUYS ARE CRAZY THAT ONE GUY LAID ON THE COUCH WHILE PLAYING WITH SPLIT CONTROLLERS, I DON'T WANT THAT. DOA. And nothing had actually changed from the exciting concept presented to us a few months before.
You posted DOA in October 2018 🤣
Well hot damn. Idk why it didnt come up in search for me. Clearly I need to keep my day job and not be an analyst.

Looking at that history i said 40 million liftetime but then said DOA in 2018...what the fuck was i talking about.
In all fairness that seemed like a joke in face of good Switch results already by then (18 months on the market). If you check the posts by then, people were already pointing out how wrong the DOA comments where.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The interesting part is how the first Nintendo Switch trailer (October 2016) people were actually very positive about it and many could see it being a success but then the January 2017 unveil event came and people started overreacting and going WHAAAT THESE GUYS ARE CRAZY THAT ONE GUY LAID ON THE COUCH WHILE PLAYING WITH SPLIT CONTROLLERS, I DON'T WANT THAT. DOA. And nothing had actually changed from the exciting concept presented to us a few months before.

In all fairness that seemed like a joke in face of good Switch results already by then (18 months on the market).
Ah ok that makes sense. Sounds like something I would do.

That first trailer was so good. Nintendo perfectly nailed the feeling of fun and friendship. I also think the significant upgrade in aesthetics from The Wii U helped a lot.

DanielsM

Banned
They are back to stuffing cash in the mattress until the next cycle.

NES - great
Gameboy - great
SNES - good
N64 - not so good sales wise
Gameboy Advance - good to great
Gamecube - bad
DS - great
Wii - great
3ds - good
WiiU - beyond horrible
Switch - good to great so far

7ry9.gif

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Is this why some people pissed at switch for selling well? They expected/wanted to system to fail?
Yes.

Not a little part of it probably stems from Bayonetta 2 being exclusive to a doomed console. People were VERY salty about that and I guess some people seriously expected Nintendo to go third party during the WiiU era. Switch being a failure would have pleased a lot of folks back in 2017-18, but it seems that with time most of them managed to cope with the fact that Nintendo is still a relevant player in this market.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
The Switch has the potential to sell to not only Wii U owners but also 3DS owners. That's a potential 75 million customers. I don't understand the negativity about potential Switch sales quoting WiiU and even GameCube numbers. Nintendo will sell four or five million Switch consoles in the first few months off the back of hardcore Nintendo fans and when that surge starts to fade Splatoon 2 will give it a huge boost in Japan and E3 will hopefully show what most of their development teams have been working on. The holidays will obviously be huge like with most Nintendo hardware not named Wii U especially with Mario launching and Black Friday deals. Switch could outsell Wii U inside 18 months.

Outside of the gaf bubble Switch seems to have been received quite positively because those people weren't obsessed with specs, core third party support and fake leaks about $199 price points, extra content to ports which didn't happen (MK8), resurrections of extremely niche titles (Mother 3) and cross over games (Rabbids X Yoshi).

Switch also won't be hamstrung by price cuts like Wii U was with the dumb expensive Gamepad and extremely exotic silicon. Switch could potentially be $199 by late 2018 which will then open it up to the massive casual audience which are on a budget.

Quoting myself. Outside of price drops, I was close!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
imo, this should've been an easy bet to win.

In spite of the Wii U and 3DS decline, the return to "let's play together" Wii marketing and the combination of handheld and console should've made it obvious Switch would be a success if for no other reason than it was consolidating two markets into one. Nintendo explained candidly that they struggled to move to HD and they wanted to "unify the development pipelines" (I believe that was the verbiage used).

I wish they would push RingFit more. It came out at the perfect time (just before COVID) but also the worst time (supply shortages due to COVID). I seriously think it's better than Wii Fit, and it's on par with any of the best Wii Sports games. Top-notch Nintendo game, in my opinion, one of the Top 5 on the system.

jigglet

Banned
I thought the product was incredible when I first saw it but I thought the price was ludicrous. I thought it needed to be under $200 to be successful. This is why I'm no pricing strategist.

carlosrox

Banned
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

All the DOA talk is priceless.

(For the record I didn't necessarily think it'd be a success cuz once a desperate narrative that something sucks is out there it can be very tough to recover from it)

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I was one of the doubters.
I wasn't on the forum at the time but I believey the thought process was ....

"It was going to be better than the wiiu but much worse than the wiiU."

Never underestimate legend of the Zelda. I believe the breath of the wild sold the units.

Faenrir

Nice to come back to this thread once in a while.

The Nintendo Switch has just passed 61 million units sold, the Wii's hardware total looks very possible at this point.
With a new zelda game, it might.
It'd probably make me buy one... WiiU was great imo, that's a shame it didn't get a better launch.
But so far nothing has made me want a switch especially not those ants sized joycons...

All I can say is, "Bravo Nintendo, very well deserved." Until hotel Wi-Fi gets to the point where streaming becomes fully viable, or 5g/Starlink comes fully online for a reasonable date cost, there will always be a niche for portable hardware with real gaming controls.

I've said for a while that I just want Nintendo to make new Switch iterations every 5 years in perpetuity. The Switch is exactly what I want from the Big N given what the industry looks like now, I don't see them competing with Sony or Microsoft in the area of powerful home boxes anymore. I actually like this new gen where everybody is doing their own thing, and carving out their own areas of gaming, rather than fighting over the exact same pie.

Porcile

It will sell fine. It looks like a quality product, does what it says on the tin, and the messaging about what it does is far far better already than 3DS or Wii U ever was. It already has a better announced games line up than Wii U had in its whole damn life, with more to come. GAF gets more ridiculous with dumb shit each and every day, I swear.

Just quoting myself here from Page 5. I waz right about so many things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom