• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEWARE THE LATEST GTA SAN ANDREAS STEAM UPDATE !!!11!!

Soodanim

Gold Member
I ripped my PS2 copy and installed the new Steam version today for comparison purposes.

The Steam version crashed and forced a PC restart before I even got back to the Grove, so I think that was decided pretty quickly. Also it won't let me have higher than 900p. DSR is enabeld on my 970.

Woah, Rockstar is trying really hard to fuck both new and old customers. Sorry for being "hard", but hell, I bought those games, now they are introducing unneeded bugs and taking away contents.

is it really rockstar's fault valve's annoying and shitty update system works like it does? maybe they have control to manually let people keep their current version and play it without updating, and that's something they decided against? I'm not sure. but developers shouldn't be allowed to abuse it like this, and I blame valve.

check out what the train simulator developers get away with/do to their game every year. they overwrite the existing version, regardless of what year you bought the simulator it's overwritten to the latest one. even if the version from 3 years ago was the best one and everyone wants to play that one-- fuck you, you're playing '2015' or no version. you're getting a free update! wrong, I'm getting my old game and the one I actually paid for deleted, and another game forced down my throat.

xrnzaaas

Horrible move by Rockstar imo. I understand limited song list for new buyers, but messing with the existing customers is just not cool. It also makes you wonder if GTA IV and GTA V will get the same "patches" in the future.

Matt_C

Dang, I now want to buy this game on DVD or CD ROM for the origional music but I do not know what it is the best/most legal option is out there? I still have my used PS2 copy which was AO when I got it from EB Games back in the day and a launch PS3.

pa22word

Did steam remove the "disable automatic updates" option in a recent update? I went to turn them off for SA and the only options I had were something like high priority, update when launching, or automatic.

Vice

Dang, I now want to buy this game on DVD or CD ROM for the origional music but I do not know what it is the best/most legal option is out there? I still have my used PS2 copy which was AO when I got it from EB Games back in the day and a launch PS3.

You can still find the disk in stores. Amazon has it.

hidys

The problem is that the one on Prime is the UK edition DVD and I do not know if it is 1.0 or 2.0 .

If you're just looking to replace the lost songs hen it doesn't matter which you use.

Though if you want mods than that will be a problem.

Sadly 2.0 is not modable I want to use the controller patch and updated resolutions.

Yes it is. Ive had the 2.0 disc version long before I bought the steam copy and it was moddable with the downgrade patch you wont have hot coffee but every other mod worked fine.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Did steam remove the "disable automatic updates" option in a recent update? I went to turn them off for SA and the only options I had were something like high priority, update when launching, or automatic.

"Do not automatically update this game" didn't always allow you to skip updates. There was a relatively brief period that began late last year where you could skip a detected update provided you were already downloading something else, but instead of iterating upon this and making it so skipping updates is possible regardless of the situation, Valve stepped away from the feature and later renamed "Do not automatically update this game" to "Only update this game when I launch it" to more accurately reflect its original (and current) behaviour.

Matt_C

Yes it is. Ive had the 2.0 disc version long before I bought the steam copy and it was moddable with the downgrade patch you wont have hot coffee but every other mod worked fine.

That is good to know and I ordered the DVD version. Thankfully I have a Pinnacle Game Profiler which should work with my future copy of GTA:SA . I hope that the widescreen patch would not bring any issues to Windows 7 outside of running it in compatibility mode.

Yeah it shouldnt I downgraded mine to 1.01 which I think was the only version to actually have 1080p resolution. Never tried a controller though

Hm, that's odd. And that's after replacing the existing files in "audiostreams" and traklkup.dat in "audioconfig", right? If that doesn't work, try copying the entire "audio" folder over and replacing the newsteam version.

I restored all the audio\streams and audio\config\traklkup.dat.

I think I'm just going to delete everything from my steam SA folder, install my 1.0 disc to the same folder, rename the exe and then make a backup. I'll probably wait though and do it after Silent releases his GInput for San Andreas with the GTAIV control scheme. The native controller support in the newsteam version is OK, but it's kind of half-assed. It would be nice to have the actual 360 controller button prompts. GTAIII and Vice City have better controller support via Silent's GInput mods than Rockstar's native support in San Andreas.

fokkusu

Was the Mac version patched too?
Answer to myself.

I installed it to my Mac and seems it's also patched, the \audio\streams includes the same files as in Windows version. However the exe-file is different size, also the in-game menu says it's 1.01.

It's not enough to just replace Audio\streams and Audio\config\TrakLkup.dat. The new exe won't play those songs at all. Using an old exe with the new files, the game crashes when it tries to play one of the removed songs.

To revert to pre-patch, you need to replace the streams, the lookup and the exe. Bad news for people without a backup or physical copy.

More technical info here: http://gtaforums.com/topic/735786-r...-for-san-andreas-steam/page-5#entry1066448747

I don't think I understand how SilentPatch is supposed to work. I "install" asi loader by dropping both dlls and the scrips folder into the game's root folder, then "install" the silentpatch by dropping the asi and ini in the same root folder. I do this on a fresh install of the newest version of the game. The game doesn't boot up <_<

What am I missing? I followed the instructions on both readmes, there's no other instructions I can see anywhere.

I don't think I understand how SilentPatch is supposed to work. I "install" asi loader by dropping both dlls and the scrips folder into the game's root folder, then "install" the silentpatch by dropping the asi and ini in the same root folder. I do this on a fresh install of the newest version of the game. The game doesn't boot up <_<

What am I missing? I followed the instructions on both readmes, there's no other instructions I can see anywhere.

Are you getting the window that lets you choose a resolution? If you can choose 1920x1080, it's working.

Are you getting the window that lets you choose a resolution? If you can choose 1920x1080, it's working.

Well I didn't get that window but it booted up randomly just as I was testing it now, and I get a 1080p option, meaning the patch is working. The only thing is the cutscenes take a really long time to load (30 seconds of black screen) and I got a random crash after buying my first pizza, but at least the game seems playable.

This is Steam's fault, nobody else's.

Steam could allow current owners to keep playing whatever version they want. They just can't keep selling the old one.

Steam was first revealed in 2002. 12 years later they still use forced updates, overriding content you bought legally. It's becoming doubtful if they will ever give up that power.

Aside from the music and the resolution capped at 720p which is just..ugh.

Are there other known issues?

Loading old saves starts a new game. Exploding cars can cause a crash with dual-monitors.

The silent patch adds the missing resolution options and allows loading old saves. I had the game crash when a car exploded, but setting the gta exe to XP SP3 compatibility mode solved that.

This is the newest silent patch: http://gtaforums.com/topic/669045-iiivcsaasi-silentpatch/page-76#entry1066445816

madjoki

Steam could allow current owners to keep playing whatever version they want. They just can't keep selling the old one.

Steam was first revealed in 2002. 12 years later they still use forced updates, overriding content you bought legally. It's becoming doubtful if they will ever give up that power.

I'd argue it's not Steams fault in this case, but publishers.
Publishers do have tools to do things right.
They actually did it Vice City too. (It has old audio and new audio versions).

It could very well be Steam's fault, if they didn't educate publishers, but it seems that Rockstar did indeed know how they could've done it better.

But, yes, I agree that, Steam should allow choosing version and even downgrade by default.
(This can be provided by publisher/devs too, but no one really does that.
Tomb Raider & Thief remakes are pretty much only games that as option to choose.)

Just install Ginput, you don't need the crappy new version for that.

I haven't been able to get Deji's GInput to work. It goes straight to a black screen. Silent is working on a version for SA though.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I didn't install the mod correctly. It seems to work quite well.

Contrabardus

Neo Member
Posted this on the Rockstar site and I meant it. Not that I think it will do much good.

The new update steals music from users who legally purchased the game while the license was still active. This is not okay nor is it legal. There is no law that forces or even allows any company to retroactively steal music from customers who legally purchased it while the copyright license was still active.

Putting up a new copy of the game online so that new customers don't get the expired songs music is how this should have been handled, but they had no right to remove the songs from copies that were legally purchased by the end user while the license was still active. I can't believe they would be this lazy because that's exactly what this is. They did not have to do this, there is no license in existence that would require it.

It's no different than if they illegally hacked your X-box to remove access to the songs from the hard copy of the game or if a music company hacked your computer to erase some MP3 files that you bought and downloaded because the publisher lost the license for some of the songs.

This was illegal for Rockstar to do, there is no licensing law or ELUA agreement that forced or even permitted them to do this. This move was entirely on them and I expect they will have a class action lawsuit on them for it in the near future.

Regardless of what they would like to believe, no ELUA makes it legal for them to do this. The enforcability of many ELUA elements is already questionable, but this is actual theft and I do not believe that the ELUA or ToS agreements will protect them in this case.

On top of that, they actually downgraded the resolution so there is no more 1080p the highest resoluiton is 1680 x 1050. There are also no options for 16:9 resolutions anymore. Oddly there are some 16:10 options, but nothing for the standard PC monitor resolution.
I've requested a refund from Steam about this, and encourage others to do the same. This isn't the game I paid for anymore, it's a crappy mobile port that should have been a separate purchase.

I get that they can't sell the PC edition anymore because of licensing issues, but they never should have replaced the full PC version with this and they know it. This should have been a separate purchase and the original should have been removed from the servers and left unaltered by those who previously purchased it and already had it installed.

There is no excuse for this and we should all put in to get a refund of the game over this to both Valve and Rockstar. We may never get the game we paid for back, but if enough of us make enough noise about this we can make sure they aren't dumb enough to pull this in the future because it was motivated by nothing but pure laziness. As I previously said, there is no license agreement that would require this and no legal justification for it EULA or not.

I really hope some lawyer decides to make his or her career with a class action over this because a lawsuit is completely justified here.

I've already played GTA V, I had a lot of fun with it and I was really looking forward to it on PC. I have serious doubts I'll be buying it again for PC now, and I'm not the only one. This was an incredibly stupid move and it would be in Rockstar's best interest to learn from it and not pull this kind of thing again.

Rockstar did this, but Valve needs to make sure publishers understand that this is unacceptable as well. It's not all on Rockstar's head because Steam enabled it. They are at the least accomplices in this. Because of this, I'm also wary of buying games on Steam in the future and I now have legitimate reason to be concerned with the titles I have already purchased form them. This is not a standard we as consumers can put up with. There has to be a line drawn here and publishers need to know that this sort of behavior is not going to fly. EULA agreements are already on shaky legal ground and have questionable enforcement they aren't going to be a very good shield against legal action against this sort of behavior. Rockstar stands to be in the crosshairs of a very bad and very public legal battle over this and there's no way it's good publicity. This needs issue needs to be fixed and assurances need to be made that this sort of thing won't happen in the future. Otherwise I can seriously see this as being bad for the company both in terms of publicity and legality.

There is no way to spin this to make it okay and no licensing agreement is going to make this acceptable. Rockstar is going to lose customers and trust over this mess if they don't do something to fix it, or at least assure consumers that it won't be happening in the future. I don't think they're going to want to be the ones who put this to the test, there's no way this is going to be good for Rockstar now or in the future on any level.

fokkusu

Are there any other bugs to look out for? Been thinking about playing through SA again, it's been too long.

The old save games doesn't work out of the box, but should work with SilentPatch. However I bet the SilentPatch doesn't yet work with this new patch they released yesterday.

MUnited83

For you.

Fuck no. The blame is all on Rockstar and no one else. They did this shit correctly last time with Vice City, and allowed people who purchased the game before to keep the tracks. Doing this with san andreas would be extremely trivial, simple and basic. Steam has the tools to do exactly that. This isnt anything but lazyness on rockstar's end.

Looks like we have consented to automatic updates but I don't get how this one counts as an update that "enhance" software.
Steam TOS said:
For reasons that include, without limitation, system security, stability, and multiplayer interoperability, Steam may need to automatically update, pre-load, create new versions of or otherwise enhance the Software and accordingly, the system requirements to use the Software may change over time. You consent to such automatic updating. You understand that this Agreement (including applicable Subscription Terms) does not entitle you to future updates, new versions or other enhancements of the Software associated with a particular Subscription, although Valve may choose to provide such updates, etc. in its sole discretion.

Top Bottom