• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEWARE THE LATEST GTA SAN ANDREAS STEAM UPDATE !!!11!!

willooi

Just a heads up to San Andreas owners on Steam:

The latest update, coinciding somewhat with the recent 360 re-release, adds native controller support but takes away a lot more.

Highly recommend manually stopping it if you can, as many iconic songs are now gone due to licence expiry purposes (full list below), and older save files may also be affected.

More details here
(thanks Im_Special).

- Adds support for XInput controllers (Xbox 360 controller)
- Makes "Steering with Mouse" enabled by default
- Removes several songs for all owners
- Removes several resolution options, including 1920x1080 (This was broken in the original version, then fixed in an update - now unfixed with this latest update)
- Loading a game save from the original version just starts a new game
- Occasional crashes during car explosions if another monitor is attached

PLAYBACK FM
"Critical Beatdown"

K-DST
"Running Down A Dream"
"Woman To Woman"

Bounce FM
"You Dropped A Bomb On Me"
"Yum Yum"
"Running Away"

Radio Los Santos
"I Don't Give A f*ck"
"Express Yourself"

Radio X
"Killing in the Name of"
"Hellraiser"

K-Jah West
"Ring My Bell"
"Don't Let It Go To Your Head"

Master Sounds 98.3
"Express Yourself"
"Rock Creek Park"
"Grunt"
"Soul Power '74"
"The Payback"

Im_Special

More of what was affected by this patch listed here.
http://www.rockstarnexus.com/articl...ated-on-Steam-removes-songs-and-reverts-fixes

Adds support for XInput controllers (Xbox 360 controller)
-Makes "Steering with Mouse" enabled by default
-Removes several songs for all owners (Seems to be same songs that were cut from the mobile version. We would have liked to see a situation similar to VC where only new Steam copies had songs removed and those who had purchased it before got to keep the songs.)
-Removes several resolution options, including 1920x1080 (This was broken in the original version, then fixed in an update - now unfixed with this latest update)
-Loading a game save from the original version just starts a new game
-Occasional crashes during car explosions if another monitor is attached

Well ain't that some shit, controller support is nice, but if I paid for the game with those songs, what right do they have to remove them?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Wait, they didn't force the Michael Jackson change on Vice City owners. How are they going to force this?

I actually have the disc version pre hot coffee patch.

sucks they did this though, I guess U can just put the mp3's in the custom station...

Is any legal fallout possible here? Do they have the right to retroactively remove content? I didn't buy the version of the game without the songs. I bought the one with them.

Molemitts

Did they actually have to remove all this in an update, though? It's not like they're releasing the game on Steam. Although, I understand if they couldn't include it in the Xbox version for those reasons.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
This is fucked up, i know licensing is a bitch for publishers but come on man removing content from an old game after so many years?! Really rockstar?!I Now i regret not buying San andreas on PSN when it was on sale but i will always have my physical copy in case i get a PS2.
Not that i want to play San andreas ever again

Omega

Banned
-Removes several resolution options, including 1920x1080 (This was broken in the original version, then fixed in an update - now unfixed with this latest update)

why would you remove 1080p? really? parity on decade old games. worse than ubisoft

Falk

that puzzling face
Ladies and gents, welcome to the modern music industry and copyright law. Please don't mind the stench.

Foffy

Banned
A 400 MB patch that creates a mountain of new issues...and yet here's a 180 kb patch that fixes all of that, save for the music. It also fixes a number of other issues Rockstar never cared to fix.

I am legit concerned about GTA V. Every GTA game has had a fucking awful PC launch and it's been up to the community to fix every release. Hell, San Andreas is still getting fixes in 2014. The potential DRM makes this a very concerning issue for V.

Does the new update at least add 1080p back in?

HAHAHA, no. Rockstar gonna Rockstar.

Elitro

Woah, what a load of bull.

In rockband, when the license expires they remove the songs from the store but customers who bought them can still download and play those songs forever.

Removing songs from GTA is completely uncalled for.

Sothpaw

The best part of the PC versions of the GTA3 games besides that the graphics are a generation ahead of the PS2 versions is that I can properly aim using a mouse. So they go ahead and give us native controller support which I will never use and take away songs from my favorite GTA soundtrack ever?

:/

antonz

Really freaking lame but the law makes them do it. As long as the digital files can be bought online they have to edit the files to comply with licensing agreements etc.

Kadin

Well I guess since I don't have it installed on this computer since I recently formatted... that I'm completely SOL. What a bunch of bs.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ugh. If they did this to Vice City it'd basically defeat the point of the game. At least you can put your own songs in it right?

Foffy

Banned
Letting mine update. I always wanted good controler support. I don't mind the music thing.

Same with me, will play a bit this weekend.

It's pretty weak ass controller support, actually. Vanilla XInput.

There's a mod in the works that not only allows the game to have GTA IV controls, but comes complete with rumble. No need to really update for that, with all of the bugbears it makes.

hamchan

Well I guess since I don't have it installed on this computer since I recently formatted... that I'm completely SOL. What a bunch of bs.

I'll be completely honest here. This might be one of those situations where piracy is morally ok, since you're just getting back the product that you originally paid for but now don't have access to.

Dmented

Banned
So they add 360 controller support which is great, been wanting that, but remove a bunch of songs and shit? Jeez.

I'll be completely honest here. This might be one of those situations where piracy is morally ok, since you're just getting back the product that you originally paid for but now don't have access to.

Someone will have a rollback solution soon enough.

Top Bottom