• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Sausages sure are looking good...

GeorgPrime

Banned
Im right with you there, I've been a vegetarian for the same reason for 25 + years now. I don't miss meat so not sure what the point of trying to emulate it is. I'll eat things like veggie burgers but they arent really substitutes and dont taste like meat, i just think some of them taste good. I rarely tell people im a vegetarian though because i get so much shit for it....people seem to get hyper defensive even if i just mention it...and have to let me know how much they love meat and how they could never do without it or i get the "if god didnt want us to eat animals" twats who think they are saying something original.

Oddly those same people try and push me to preach or debate but I dont preach or care to discuss it with people because i know realistically people as a whole will not stop until you can create full dinners out of molecules like in star trek.

I get the feeling.... most people wouldnt be vegetarian if they couldnt fool themselves into eating something that at least looks like meat.

So they dont want to eat meat but they cant give up on it 100 %

MaestroMike

Gold Member
There is some inherent suffering involved with surviving, like , even eating plants it's somehow cruel when seen from their perspective.
That being said, fucking pigs, chickens and cows are treated worst than crops now, unless they are in a more moderate size farm. Nobody is going to starve if meat was more expensive in general, we would just eat differently...probably.

That's what kinda annoyed me with vegans when they say eating meat is wrong because they eat a sh!t ton of plants but plants are alive too theyre multicellular organisms and their plant cells are very similar to our animal cells. That link is very very interesting. Pretty sure life started with plants. And then maybe animals formed from the plants to help plants spread their seeds and mate and find new ground. I feel we are very related with each other somehow.

That's what kinda annoyed me with vegans when they say eating meat is wrong because they eat a sh!t ton of plants but plants are alive too theyre multicellular organisms and their plant cells are very similar to our animal cells. That link is very very interesting. Pretty sure life started with plants. And then maybe animals formed from the plants to help plants spread their seeds and mate and find new ground. I feel we are very related with each other somehow.
This is way too big of a subject for me to explain succinctly, so I leave you in the capable hands of a David Attenborough documentary:

As a vegetarian of 20 years this is something I also find baffling.

I just don't like the idea of eating another creatures flesh, ever since I decided as a teenager to watch videos of exactly what happens to animals in abattoirs, I just can't seperate out what I'm eating with what that animal went through.

As such, I do not want to eat a fake sausage or burger that also reminds me of that off putting fact, and I fail to see how pretending something is meat without tasting as good would help anyone stop eating it.

I also try my best to sauce local eggs, cheese milk and honey from places I know treat thier livestock well and aren't just mass producing low quality stuff full of antibiotics and hormones.
My girlfriend is vegan and she love places like this that mimic meat just for the fact that they are really delicious around here. She’ll just eat whatever is vegan as long as it’s good. But she’s never eaten meat in her life even when she was a kid. She’s always like I’ve never had friend chicken until now when she finally eats like a beyond meat substitute. I don’t say anything of course lol.

Melon

Banned
Can't believe people eat this shit lmao. Looks like flesh.

nS9JJ6R.jpg

This image just made me a lesbian. Good job, brappy boi.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
This is way too big of a subject for me to explain succinctly, so I leave you in the capable hands of a David Attenborough documentary:

Done. Need the next videos. Gets me thinking. There's still life living today that go way back and can survive extreme harsh conditions...why cant we just send that life to distant planets and see what can evolve in hundreds of millions of years. They still have the blood of Earth...but maybe our ancestors traveled on an asteroid from some other planet and we're not really home-grown. Interesting to think about. We can can send time capsules to all these different planets and in a billion years the new organisms may be advanced enough to discover and learn from it.

Falcs

Banned
As a vegetarian of 20 years this is something I also find baffling.

I just don't like the idea of eating another creatures flesh, ever since I decided as a teenager to watch videos of exactly what happens to animals in abattoirs, I just can't seperate out what I'm eating with what that animal went through.

As such, I do not want to eat a fake sausage or burger that also reminds me of that off putting fact, and I fail to see how pretending something is meat without tasting as good would help anyone stop eating it.

I also try my best to sauce local eggs, cheese milk and honey from places I know treat thier livestock well and aren't just mass producing low quality stuff full of antibiotics and hormones.
Glad I'm not alone on this. I have an indian friend whose vegetarian and she similarly finds the whole meat emulation thing utterly bizarre as well.
I don't get it either.

If someone is vegetarian that's fine. Don't eat meat.

If that's the case, why bother making fake looking hamburgers, sausages, patties look like as close to the real thing as possible? Just make a patty that's green and orange from crushed up carrots and cabbage.

Yet vegetarians want to eat burgers that look real, but don't actually want to eat meat.

I don't like eating celery. Hmmm.... let me go to the store and try to find something that looks like celery. Green, tall, crunchy, and even tastes like it. But I don't want it to actually be celery.

Fucking weird.

What I don't get is why it is so hard for people to understand this. It really isn't complicated. The fact that other vegetarians don't get it really boggles my mind.

I am a vegetarian. I haven't had the sausage in the OP, but I've had Beyond Beef patties and they are absolutely delicious. They almost taste like the real thing, but without the gamey/blood taste.
I used to eat some meat, and I enjoyed it. Then I stopped for animal reasons, but I still miss the taste. So fake meat allows me to enjoy what I'm missing out on by being vegeterian.

I love fake meat. It's great.
Why?

Two reasons:
1. It tastes good.
2. The fact that it looks and has similar texture and feel to real meat means that you can use it as a meat substitute in traditional meat recipes.

Bam! There you go. Mystery solved.

Why is this so hard a concept to understand?

brap

Banned
Two reasons:
1. It tastes good.
2. The fact that it looks and has similar texture and feel to real meat means that you can use it as a meat substitute in traditional meat recipes.
Just use FUCKING MEAT THEN. Or. Hold up. Big brain time.
DON'T BE A FUCKING VEGETARIAN IF YOU CAN'T FUCKING HANDLE IT

Last edited:

Falcs

Banned
Just use FUCKING MEAT THEN. Or. Hold up. Big brain time.
DON'T BE A FUCKING VEGETARIAN IF YOU CAN'T FUCKING HANDLE IT
I don't want to kill animals.
The only one who can't handle anything are those who's panties get tied up into a knot because of "OMGZ FAKE MEAT JUST USE THE REAL THING!!"

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned

Listen, chickens are absolute monsters who would absolutely kill you if they could and cows are too dumb to live. They make big magnets for cows to swallow and the magnet hangs out in their upper digestive system because they are so dumb they constantly swallow nails and wire and other shit and then it gets caught on the magnet so they don't destroy their own insides.

Do not expect your compassion to be returned in kind when the animals revolt.

brap

Banned
The only one who can't handle anything are those who's panties get tied up into a knot because of "OMGZ FAKE MEAT JUST USE THE REAL THING!!"
I'll go watch some slaughterhouse footage right now before I eat a joosy burga. Go eat your weird ass science experiment shit then. It's just fucking dumb. When all you people get cancer I'll be sitting over here enjoying real food and laughing.
boo hoo i wanna eat meat but i cant let the poor dumb animals die :messenger_pensive:

Blade2.0

I bought some vegan dogs to try the other day. 4 chipotle ones and then some of these plant based meat ones. They don't look much different than the real deal but I haven't eaten them yet. I don't hate the impossible whopper though, so figured why not.

vKCG8jr.jpg

PZaNaH7.jpg

3FOr0fs.jpg

KPyb5GQ.jpg

Blade2.0

I'll go watch some slaughterhouse footage right now before I eat a joosy burga. Go eat your weird ass science experiment shit then. It's just fucking dumb. When all you people get cancer I'll be sitting over here enjoying real food and laughing.
boo hoo i wanna eat meat but i cant let the poor dumb animals die :messenger_pensive:
Bacon is carcinogenic, bruh. Your meat ain't saving you from cancer.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned

Is Joe Rogan your Dad? 🤔

Everything gives cancer these days. Just breathing is enough

^Truth. People harbour this illusion that if they avoid this that and whatever that they'll escape it (and death in the process), but life is a cruel mistress. You can minimise risk to some degree, but to paraphrase Lana 'We're born to Die', it's an inherent aspect of our DNA. Does that mean one shouldn't look after oneself? Far from it , you want to keep yourself in reasonable shape, however whats a life lived without pleasure? 🤔

Also what is it with Rando Letter Posters and their inability to resize an image when posting? Too lazy to add an Avatar, too lazy to right click once uploaded and click resize? :messenger_dizzy:

Blade2.0

Is Joe Rogan your Dad? 🤔

^Truth. People harbour this illusion that if they avoid this that and whatever that they'll escape it (and death in the process), but life is a cruel mistress. You can minimise risk to some degree, but to paraphrase Lana 'We're born to Die', it's an inherent aspect of our DNA. Does that mean one shouldn't look after oneself? Far from it , you want to keep yourself in reasonable shape, however whats a life lived without pleasure? 🤔

Also what is it with Rando Letter Posters and their inability to resize an image when posting? Too lazy to add an Avatar, too lazy to right click once uploaded and click resize? :messenger_dizzy:
Bitch. You don't own me.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Everything gives cancer these days. Just breathing is enough

Limit the animal muscle protein and eat more anti-cancer foods.

Kimahri

Banned
These are supposed to be frozen until cooking time. They have very little structure until fried.

This thread is about om the level of me posting a picture of a sausage that's gotten moldy and green from being left in room temperature too long, thinking it would be a valuable statement about meat.

brap

Banned
These are supposed to be frozen until cooking time. They have very little structure until fried.

This thread is about om the level of me posting a picture of a sausage that's gotten moldy and green from being left in room temperature too long, thinking it would be a valuable statement about meat.
no its not. also theyre not always in the frozen section

Falcs

Banned
I don't understand why meat eaters have such an issue with fake meat.
It's called having options. Why is that a bad thing?

Plenty of vego's don't eat meat for whatever reason it may be, yet they still enjoy the taste and texture (as I said before, due to recipes), so what's wrong with providing an alternative? We're not stopping you from sucking a pork sausage.
Just get over it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I like the fake taco meat. I honestly think it tastes the same, probably because so much of the flavor comes from the taco seasoning you mix in at the end, and the crumbly texture is relatively easy to mimic. The burger patties also taste fine, although not like a real burger, they’re fine. The other stuff I think is awful, both in taste and consistency. I’ve had these sausages before and it’s honestly an insult to the real thing. But hey if they didn’t sell, they wouldn’t make them.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member

When I worked in a movie theater years ago somebody discovered a hot dog sausage that had been thrown at some point on top of one of the tall in industrial fridges in the concession stand kitchen. It had been there so long it had become grey and rock hard, the green mold that had been living on it had died off in the harsh hot and dry environment it had grown in to become nothing more than a green dust specking the sausage. It became known as the Jurassic Sausage.

For many following years Jurassic Sausage remained on top of the fridge. Surviving daily end of day cleaning inpections from managers, Deep cleans and even health inspector checks of the kitchen. This sausage had a will to survive. That was until one day someone decided to actually give a shit about doing thier job correctly, cleaned the top of the fridge and threw it away. RIP Jurassic Sausage, you won't be forgotten.

MaestroMike

Gold Member

I'm still trying to put this together. So the earth and sun formed at the same time, but the sun's luminosity was only 70% of what it is now when it was born. It wasn't hot enough to heat up Earth which was cold when it was birthed. Then the sun became hotter as billions of years passed eventually heating the earth's core enough to start up the volcanoes and get things really cooking and mixing today which allowed life to start getting the nutrients it needs and allowed it to multiply and mutate to start adapting to and fitting the environmental conditions at the time. The sun is going to continually get hotter eventually scorching earth but at the same time it will start heating up mars and melting its ice and hopefully by then we'll have some colonies there and a whole host of animals/plants already started up.

I like the fake taco meat. I honestly think it tastes the same, probably because so much of the flavor comes from the taco seasoning you mix in at the end, and the crumbly texture is relatively easy to mimic. The burger patties also taste fine, although not like a real burger, they’re fine. The other stuff I think is awful, both in taste and consistency. I’ve had these sausages before and it’s honestly an insult to the real thing. But hey if they didn’t sell, they wouldn’t make them.
I tried the fake taco meat at Qdoba and it wasn't bad. If I hadn't known what I was eating I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Beyond products actually do taste good, their burgers have great texture as well.

They also made for a nice investment opening at $25 a share, and now valued in the $125-135 range consistently.

Top Bottom