• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond: Two Souls fan port cancelled after Quantic Dream contacts team

Source: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=11411

According to a 14-page thread at the XeNTaX forum, a fan port/reverse-engineering of Beyond: Two Souls was being made for PC (complete with a roadmap/changelog, scripts, extracting tools and so on) until the "co-CEO of Quantic Dream" (Guillaume de Fondaumière?) told them to stop. The OP does hint at some kind of future collaboration, though:

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:38 am

We all knew it had to happen some day!

:(
I was recently approached by the co-CEO of Quantic Dream. He told me that he is aware of this project and would like me to stop working on it. He and the rest were amused by it though!

:)
I was also contacted by the CTO of Quantic Dream. We are currently in talk about some things...

But yeah, the inevitable happened. I'm afraid I can't continue on the port / tools. Sorry everybody, it's been a blast. A big thanks to everybody who supported / helped me with the project :D
Even though the port might be legal, I want to keep everyone at Quantic Dream as allies, so I'm not going to be disobedient.

To be continued...?

Has anyone here heard about this defunct project?

What the hell? What year would this have even finished this? And how did he think they would allow him to port it to PC for free I assume using the assets from the game?

Takao

Banned
Why would someone think porting a game you have no rights to, especially one as high profile and recent as this would be okay?

Certinty

Because a lot of people find it enjoyable and even more would like to play it? Don't confuse your personal disdain as being indicative of everyone's feelings.
I think it's a good game don't get me wrong. But I'm sure many would agree that Heavy Rain would be the better choice to port given the option.

samn

It's not impossible that something like this could be legal. They could create a new engine into which the original game scripts, textures, models, audio files etc fit like a glove. As long as you own the original disc and rip your own copy then everything could be above board.

For example, OpenTTD allows you to use the original Transport Tycoon sprites and audio - as long as you own the original game. Playstation emulators have only been in legal hot water when they included complete copies of the system's own BIOS (they now require you provide your own).

SRTtoZ

I'm kind of confused how he would think he could get away with this in the first place. Yea lets just port a Sony exclusive to PC and everyone will be okay with it! And why that game? I liked it a lot, not as much as Heavy Rain, but why not TLOU? Uncharted 2? lol

Its BEYOND ME! GET IT? kidding.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's not impossible that something like this could be legal. They could create a new engine into which the original game scripts, textures, models, audio files etc fit like a glove. As long as you own the original disc and rip your own copy then everything could be above board.

For example, OpenTTD allows you to use the original Transport Tycoon sprites and audio - as long as you own the original game. Playstation emulators have only been in legal hot water when they included complete copies of the system's own BIOS (they now require you provide your own).

Until when something like a hypothetical bullet point in the contract with e.g. Ellen Page very clearly stating rights for use of likeness etc only covers _____ platforms obliges the dev/publisher to take action on information that a third party is enabling said likeness in context of what is essentially the game on platforms not included in the contract.

There are many reasons a developer could be obliged to shut things down.

edit: Just realized how hard that sentence is to parse lol. Apologies.

bomer

Um, isn't it legal of you write a new engine to play a game using the existing assets that the player already owns?

I think this has been done for quake and doom and rtcw... But that may be specific to those licenses. I think they were writing the engine and tools to convert the ps3 files to something their engine could use.

Pretty awesome as a tech project. I'd love demons souls on PC and if it were done through a fan hack, whatever it takes. Beyond to souls is a weird choice.

Possibly it was chosen because the assets were more available than most ps3 games on the bluray? A "it's possible so let's do it" reasoning?

Why do people who do these fanmade games/ports just not stay anonymous?

This is the reason they get shut down. Because they put their name and shit everywhere

Don't know why they bothered wasting their time trying to port it to PC when it was obvious QD/Sony would clamp down their illegal project at any given moment.

akira28

why do people do this?

you do the thing, release, then announce.

any other way and you may as well not even begin. Do they not ever expect lawyers? I mean, they already paid for the lawyers, the lawyers have to find something to do.

Top Bottom