• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond: Two Souls sells over 1 million copies worldwide

Good on 'em. I didn't enjoy Beyond that much, but I am always intrigued by what is next from them.

I think Beyond, and definitely their next game, would have been way better as a modern day adventure point and click game than whatever you want to call what it actually was. I blame playing 999 and Virtue's Last Reward back to back last year, but something more like that. Have some real palpable tension and consequence, and put that under the stress of having to solve how to get out of a room, or experiment, or to save a life or your own. Aiden was a fascinating game mechanic that was really squandered. Just imagine if the writers and scenario writers of Zero Escape worked with Cage and QD on their next game!

The game bombed spectacularly, France is probably the only country where it did well relatively to the size of the market.
Sony must've lost a ton of money with this one.

I doubt that

With Sony's marketing and distribution on top, the total spend looked something like €40 million. But, Fondaumiere said, "Sony earned more than €100 million with this game. It's very profitable."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...n-to-make-and-made-sony-more-than-100-million

That was HR's result. And that was when HR was between 2-3m sold.

Well good for Quantum Dream, I am yet to play Beyond Two Souls but Heavy Rain was a treat to play and Platinum, totally enjoyed it, hopefully Beyond Two Souls is as good or even better.

Selling a million units isn't really considered a success for a major game these days, is it? Companies like EA or Activision would declare a game a huge failure if it didn't manage to move significantly more than a million units after three months on the market.
you have to take into consideration the developing team, some studios are smart, and don't end up spending 500$million on a game development, they work on a medium budget, hence even when selling a million unite or something, it ends as a success, which is a smart thing to do, very few studios can do that though.

and the bad budget management and over the top expectations from the likes of EA & Activision is why we got many franchises ruined, like Dead Space 3, Prototype and others.

That reminds me when that 50 Cent game for PS2 sold like 5 million copies or something. Shit can make money too, kids

btw before you give an unfunny and dumb response like the guys above, I've unfortunately played Beyond so I can say whatever the hell I want. Someone fire David Cage of this industry, please.

That reminds me when that 50 Cent game for PS2 sold like 5 million copies or something. Shit can make money too, kids

btw before you give an unfunny and dumb response like the guys above, I've unfortunately played Beyond so I can say whatever the hell I want. Someone fire David Cage of this industry, please.

He should certainly hire some writing talent for the next game. They should take a look at TellTale in terms of mechanics too.

Beyond was more expensive and sold less. I doubt it will break even.

It was only slightly more expensive (27m vs. 23m). And it's only been about for a little over 3 months. So, it's no surprise that it's sold less. But it's selling just as well as HR did initially.

iammeiam

I'll be very curious to see how QD's next title does. I preordered Beyond based on the strength of HR. I will not be preordering their next title, as Beyond chose to keep the disappointing parts of HR and toss out the bits I liked. I tend to wonder if story games are more reliant on previous success--demos don't really work in those circumstances.

I don't really think Beyond "deserves" to be a success, but QD continues to have potential so I'm glad it didn't completely tank.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Still probably not profitable. If Heavy Rain cost $50 million to market/develop/distribute, imagine this is around that cost for everything. Will probably break even at some point I'm guessing though.

The game bombed spectacularly, France is probably the only country where it did well relatively to the size of the market.
Sony must've lost a ton of money with this one.
Budget was $27 million. A million sales with that budget is pretty damn good.

kurbaan

Banned
Um...

I don't claim that either Gone Home or The Walking Dead (which I didn't actually enjoy all that much) are high art, but claiming they're no different from one another is ridiculous. Those two had really smart writers behind them while Beyond was like a low-budget Syfy original from 2002. I think Quantic Dream have the technical chops to deliver an amazing game with the right collaborators, but their efforts so far, and David Cage's storytelling, are downright embarrassing.

Yeah maybe the writing in TWD is better but game wise they are no different. In fact TWD is much less of a game than QD games. I only played them recently and I was pretty shocked how they get a pass as there is pretty much no "gameplay" whatsoever. Hell there aren't even puzzles and shit which is what I was expecting. It just picking dialogue...

Alteast in QD games they try and give the player as much control as possible maybe it doesnt work all the time but they actually try to do the story through some sort of gameplay.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/09/50-cent-blood-on-the-sand-sales-pale-to-bulletproof/

"50 Cent: Bulletproof, which has sold nearly 1.2 million copies"

Oh please.

I enjoyed Heavy Rain, but man was this game a shit fest. David has been improving as a director, but certainly not as a writer. This guy needs a team of writers, and thankfully if the rumors are true, he'll have two writers helping him on the PS4 project. I just hope its not a continuation of Beyond's story.

Great game. I enjoy gaming experiences like this provided. Also tons of replay value seeing your different choices play out and affect the outcomes.

oSoLucky

As divisive as these games are, the gaming industry and Sony are better for having them. Big name and big selling games such as this/Dragon's Crown/Luigi's Mansion are great in a sea of "me too" games.

Cool, as long as it keeps David Cage in a position to bestow upon us his fever dreams.

Odrion
The reasons were sound.
(Today, 01:49 PM)

Played it and the pacing was horrible. Gave no shits about the characters at the end. I was on the last chapter and I said fuck it, im done.

Coolwhip

Banned
An excuse to post this gif? :D

shu-sleep-o.gif

So those are really sold trough numbers and not shipped? Pretty impressive especially as the shipped numbers must be even bigger.

Yes. Sony shared NPD (USA / Canada / Australia / New Zealand), GfK (Europe), and Famitsu (Japan) numbers with them. Combine those three together and you get an accurate picture of worldwide sell-through.

Evo X

Good for them. I enjoyed the game for what it was. Excited to see what Cage can do with the PS4. Beyond looked spectacular for being on 7 year old hardware.

joe2187

Banned
glad it to see it did well

people could hate his work but at least there is more diversity in the industry

We need quality diversity, not complete garbage.

It's nice that these type of games are made, since there is a certain demand for them and people enjoy them. The problem is that QD + David Cage = Fucking stupid shit. Keep the man away from anything that relates to plot or gameplay.

distract David cage with something shiney while the game is being made so it doesnt turn into his creepy ellen page fan-fiction.

Shin-Ra

BeyondTwoSouls_RyanCIA16fps.gif

Decent start considering the timing of release and less positive reception than Heavy Rain. I preferred HR's more complex input "vocabulary" and grounded story but the acting and performance capture is improved in Beyond.

A.Romero

Not the person you replied to but the game is incredibly poorly directed/written, and the game play is rudimentary. Considering the game is mostly driven by the story scenes, having such a bad story is a game ruiner. It's just not a very good game.

David Cage really needs an editor.

I agree. He needs to get better at directing and writing. However, I'm a big fan of what he is trying to do (haven't played beyond, though).

I say keep them coming!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
That's cool I guess. I hated the game (boring to play and a terrible story with poor and dull characters) but aight. Many, many storybased indie games have outclassed it though so I hope QD is taking lessons.

Hahaha... guess the regular criers of 'bomba' about this game are gonna need to stow that shit now :)

Good for them anyways. Really enjoyed Beyond.

Raoh

BeyondTwoSouls_RyanCIA16fps.gif

Decent start considering the timing of release and less positive reception than Heavy Rain. I preferred HR's more complex input "vocabulary" and grounded story but the acting and performance capture is improved in Beyond.

This..

And excellent gif to represent the thread..

Nafai1123

Banned
Sony is really good at managing dev budgets based on sales expectations. This game would never be profitable from a producer like EA.

Didn't the game cost $23 million to make?

$27 million production budget + marketing costs

1 million sold-through * $34 on average goes to Sony from a $60 sale = $34 million for Sony.

The game probably still hasn't broke even considering marketing costs, but it's definitely getting to the point where it will start to make money.

Top Bottom