• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond: Two Souls sells over 1 million copies worldwide

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Sell-thru? Damn, it must have bad a really good December then, to reach that number based on what was up to through November. Did the game release in Japan/Asia?

Well deserved. It's a pretty uneven experience, but once it clicks for you, it's a great ride. While not as well rounded a package as Heavy Rain, the actors were phenomenal, the graphics were some of the best ever, and it's a well-needed break from the standard gaming fare this year.

Sell-thru? Damn, it must have bad a really good December then, to reach that number based on what was up to through November. Did the game release in Japan/Asia?

Well deserved. It's a pretty uneven experience, but once it clicks for you, it's a great ride. While not as well rounded a package as Heavy Rain, the actors were phenomenal, the graphics were some of the best ever, and it's a well-needed break from the standard gaming fare this year.

The game only managed like 37K in Japan, according to Famitsu.

$27 million production budget + marketing costs

1 million sold-through * $34 on average goes to Sony from a $60 sale = $34 million for Sony.

The game probably still hasn't broke even considering marketing costs, but it's definitely getting to the point where it will start to make money.

You changed your avatar. What is with everyone changing their avatars lately?

It's confusing me to know end.
Your new avatar is fine of course just got used to the old one

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
PS All Stars and DMC. Especially PS All Stars. The reaction to that game by some were truly pathetic

Oh yeah, DmC. I just decided to stay out of all threads about that since I liked the game but couldn't defend it as well as others since I'm relatively new to the genre.

What was with the hate for PSAS? The lineup was a bit lackluster but what I played at a friend's was fun.

Zen

Banned
Good to hear, though it wasn't as good as Heavy Rain, I still really enjoyed the character of Jodie. If QD can merge the quality of Beyond with the ma-liability of Heavy Rain, the next game will be completely stellar. (which is sounds like they are attempting, hiring more writers but not increasing the length of their next game).

Oh yeah, DmC. I just decided to stay out of all threads about that since I liked the game but couldn't defend it as well as others since I'm relatively new to the genre.

What was with the hate for PSAS? The lineup was a bit lackluster but what I played at a friend's was fun.

Smash Bros fans wanted to believe that Smash Bros is the only entry in the genre ever.

RSB

Banned
I'm really happy for them, Quantic Dream did a good job with Beyond. Not a perfect game, but I really enjoyed it overall (amazing co-op experience, BTW) Will buy again when the PS4 version is released.

And yeah, as it's already been mentioned, the level of hate David Cage gets is just ridiculous.

B.O.O.M

Because it 'looked' like Smash bros. Some acted like sony kidnapped their wives over it. My first experience with a game getting so much hate

Shinta

Banned
I loved the game, and I hope it does well.

They still need to improve the gameplay in the future, but this game took some huge strides towards that - particularly the military level.

Because it 'looked' like Smash bros. Some acted like sony kidnapped their wives over it. My first experience with a game getting so much hate
But in reality it was unique, los of fun, performed pretty well, and represents its characters far better than Smash. It just had a few big names missing.

daycru

David Cage is a poor writer, but an interesting story teller. I loved Heavy Rain, but Beyond has missed more than it has hit for me. Still need to finish it.

I was thinking of just renting this to get an easy platinum, but after watching Matt and Pat play through it I figured that I will never be able to stomach even a fraction of the game. I'm just left bewildered that QD got not one but two games green lit by Sony.

Takao

Banned
But in reality it was unique, los of fun, performed pretty well, and represents its characters far better than Smash. It just had a few big names missing.

i assume you're referring to the frame rate right

cause if you're talking sales, well, there's a reason sony cut ties with superbot

Hexa

I was thinking of just renting this to get an easy platinum, but after watching Matt and Pat play through it I figured that I will never be able to stomach even a fraction of the game. I'm just left bewildered that QD got not one but two games green lit by Sony.

They're confirmed to be working on a PS4 game now, so that makes three.
Can't wait for Singularity. ^_^

Congrats to QD and David Cage. I don't see what makes the writing in his games so terrible compared to most games and even most TV shows that aren't considered to be the best of the medium. It's on par with stuff like Fringe imo.

Great game. I enjoy gaming experiences like this provided.

Same here.

Foshy

Was intrigued by the concept but the writing was bullshit.

Still, i'm glad it did well as that will encourage more, and hopefully better, experimental takes at storytelling like this.

Oppo

Sometimes I feel that there are only a tiny handful of us on here that can manage the sentiment "hmm, I didn't care for this" rather than the always-popular "this shouldn't even exist and the creators should feel bad and lose their jobs".

I can't stand Bayonetta. At all. Know what I don't do? Shit up Bayonetta threads. I even recognize that the game is probably even good, just not for me.

Franknbeans- they might be too big to download. I bet both games are 40-50 GB easy.

B.O.O.M

Sony should have invested more in that game. Also Superbot made a big mistake going with that art style. But yeah it was a wonderful game

Sometimes I feel that there are only a tiny handful of us on here that can manage the sentiment "hmm, I didn't care for this" rather than the always-popular "this shouldn't even exist and the creators should feel bad and lose their jobs".

I can't stand Bayonetta. At all. Know what I don't do? Shit up Bayonetta threads. I even recognize that the game is probably even good, just not for me.

Bingo. My thoughts on the matter exactly

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

This. The sentiment of devs should be closed and never work again is getting more and more prevalent and it pisses me off to no end.

Zen

Banned
Budget was $27 million. A million sales with that budget is pretty damn good.

The average recoup per unit sold is shy of 30 dollars, so at a million copies sold (considering Sony is the publisher/funder of the project) they've probably already broke even, if not are very close to already breaking even.

Franknbeans- they might be too big to download. I bet both games are 40-50 GB easy.

Post of the thread. Have some class people.

kubus

Thank you, was writing a post just like this.

I can see how this game isn't everyone's cup of tea and there are some issues with the writing that can be improved, but I don't see how that automatically makes people say stuff like "I hope this game bombs", "sold 1 million too much", "David Cage needs to be fired", etc.

My personal GOTY, and I hope this means Sony's partnership with QD remains strong and their new project will be even more amazing.

i assume you're referring to the frame rate right

cause if you're talking sales, well, there's a reason sony cut ties with superbot
It sold over a million as of June according to Shu himself, so no.

And BOOM, I loved the art style of everyone looking ripped straight from their game. But maybe that's just me.

Tripolygon

Banned
Just gonna leave this here, what to expect from PS4
iCBqCFzXGmced.gif

Loudninja

And BOOM, I loved the art style of everyone looking ripped straight from their game. But maybe that's just me.
The game may have sold a million but I dont think it was profitable since they said new sequel.

Takao

Banned

If Sony were pleased with those sales they wouldn't have canceled the DLC in development, nor would they have ended their relationship with Superbot.

breakfuss

Well put. And for the record, I thought Beyond was awful, lol, but I do appreciate what QD is attempting to do. There's a space for these type of experiences.

NateDrake

Really enjoyed the game but am shocked it hit one million sales. I didn't think it did all that well at its launch in North America and we know it didn't do well in Japan. Guessing it did really well in Europe?

gadwn

I'm happy to hear that. I hope QD will be around forever and ever making movie-like interactive experiences since no one else are willing to do them with a AAA-budget.

Heavy Rain was one of the best games last gen and Beyond was really awesome also. Looking forward to E3...

dugdug

Banned
Does anybody know why this and heavy rain aren't available digitally on psn?

Not entirely sure, but, I imagine those games would be massive downloads.

Also, good for them. Glad experimental games like this can sell this well. As a big fan of their older stuff, I was a little disappointed with it, but, I'm glad to see there's public interest in it. Especially considering how many people were convinced it wouldn't sell.

Their PS4 project is going to be very interesting as it's going to be the first game from QD where Cage isn't the center of the project. They hired several writers during Beyond's development for that game.

Agreed.

I haven't played Beyond yet, mostly because the release date was terrible with PS4 coming so soon. I'd love to play on PSNow this summer or I might pick it up sooner for PS3 as the price drops.

I thought HR was interesting enough, and appreciate that QD tries to bring a different experience to players.

Top Bottom